Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  18:31:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Typos! Typos! Life goes on. The evidence and proof of ghosts you have to decide for yourself. You have to investigate on your own. Take some time to do the research not just to glance at a certain link that I gave you then make a decision. But if your wondering if after death you will be the same Ricky you are now. I do not know. You need to do the research. There are so many different accounts of numerous types of Apparitions. In fact we can credit G.N.M Tyrell for his classifications. But if you looking for eternal life you might not find it here. But you will find ghosts.
As far as the wondering if you have done research yourself. You can not just rely on what you read or what someone tells you. if you want to know then you have to do the research. I've led you toward the evidence now you have to take the time to review it.

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  18:47:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I am not insisting that anyone does any research. Surely research like this can't be done overnight with a few clicks on some links I suggested. Documented Evidence there is plenty you just choose to ignore it. Just because it is not done by so called scientists. Just because it cannot be controlled or replicated does not mean it does not exist. Let me make one thing clear if we are talking about ghosts as proof of life after death or eternal life I have no proof of that I never claimed I did. But if you look at the research and break free from the veil of Spiritualism you will see that ghosts are much more than you think.
Unfortunetly Valiant Dancer it is you who is closed minded. To use the word Lark makes me definetly not want to validate any of your beliefs or thoughts. I have done serious research have you? Or are you reading about the Paranormal only through Science books.
Oh I am not a Foreign Male who does not speak good english. I am a Female born and raised in America. My English is Fine it's my typing that sucks
As far as the word urn. Well it was how you scientists say a Freudian Slip. Speaking of Ghosts and counseling grieving people all day can make ones mind think of urns.

Storm
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  18:51:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm
As far as the wondering if you have done research yourself. You can not just rely on what you read or what someone tells you. if you want to know then you have to do the research. I've led you toward the evidence now you have to take the time to review it.

Um, I'm confused. If I take the time to review the "evidence" (i.e. links to websites) you've provided, then won't I still be guilty of relying on what I read or what someone else tells me?

Or did you post some information about where I can see a ghost in person that I somehow missed?

It seems, Storm, that what you really mean to say is, "rely on the information that I myself rely on. Discard any conflicting claims you might come across."

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 11/17/2004 18:55:27
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  18:58:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And therein lies the rub. You have "led us toward the evidence," but presented none yourself. That won't cut it in here.

In here, if you make a claim, particularly a claim concerning something that is outside of scientific research (anything that can't be tested, such as gods, angels, or ghosts is outside of science), you need to back it up with something other than more claims.

If you actually have emperical and testable evidence, please present it. None of us have any intention of going off exploring a myriad of web sites presenting yet more of the same.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  18:59:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Storm wrote:
quote:
Davology indicates that this is incorrect.

In reality, most people will be unable to properly examine the evidence. They simply haven't got the background to weigh the evidence correctly. This is why there are magazines like Consumer Reports and Road & Track, so that each and every individual isn't required to become a full-fledged expert on all aspects of life.

You could have presented a small selection of phenomena that could only be satisfactorily explained if ghosts are real. You could have told us why that is so. That would have been a "slam dunk" for you. It would probably have "opened" some minds.

But you chose not to, and instead tell us to do your homework for you.

And on another note: classifications are worthless if the phenomenon isn't real. There are 17 classifications of dragon in Ricky's garage, with a further 103 sub-classifications. I'd give you the complete list, but it's quite pointless.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  19:07:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Storm wrote:
quote:
Just because it is not done by so called scientists.
That's closed-minded, because it is false.
quote:
Just because it cannot be controlled or replicated does not mean it does not exist.
Did anyone here make such a claim? No.
quote:
But if you look at the research and break free from the veil of Spiritualism you will see that ghosts are much more than you think.
Except that you refuse to explain what breaking free "from the veil of Spiritualism" (with a capital S) means, so it's impossible for anyone to take your suggestion to heart.
quote:
Unfortunetly Valiant Dancer it is you who is closed minded.
No, actually, it's you, as has been demonstrated several times already.

Open your mind, Storm, to the possibility that you are wrong. You will save yourself much time and energy by doing so. You will be free.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  19:09:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Take some time to do the research not just to glance at a certain link that I gave you then make a decision. But if your wondering if after death you will be the same Ricky you are now. I do not know. You need to do the research. There are so many different accounts of numerous types of Apparitions. In fact we can credit G.N.M Tyrell for his classifications. But if you looking for eternal life you might not find it here. But you will find ghosts.

I am going to introduce a concept known as the Burden of Proof. This simply means that anyone who makes a claim has the burden of proof, they are the ones which must provide evidence. You attempt to shift this burden to us, and doing so is a fallacy.

You must back up your claims. You fail to do so and say that you will not do so. This can only lead to one thing. Your claim being dismissed. Because you refuse to show the validity of it, I can easily dismiss your claim.

This is not closed minded, it is just being open minded just enough so that my brains don't fall out. Without evidence, how do you accept me to accept ghosts as true?

quote:
Documented Evidence there is plenty you just choose to ignore it.

We can't ignore something you haven't shown us. You just choose not to show us the evidence.

You are therefore responsible for us being "close minded" (i.e. not accepting every claim that is made).

quote:
And on another note: classifications are worthless if the phenomenon isn't real. There are 17 classifications of dragon in Ricky's garage, with a further 103 sub-classifications. I'd give you the complete list, but it's quite pointless.

Dave, there are now 104 sub-classifications, two of them just breeded producing the 104th.

And on that note, I would like to complain about how hard it is to clean up invisible dragon crap.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  19:15:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Who Says the phenomenon is not real. Let us just focus on Ghosts not dragons not any other "paranormal" subject. Just ghosts. Come on Dave if you want to say the evidence is not real I hear what you are saying I do not agree but I can relate to that. But the phenomenon is real!! Whether it is all in our minds {which I have not ruled out}or a replay of some past event or the soul of a dearly departed one the "PHENOMENON" known as "Ghosts" is real. Let us not forget that ghosts are not just necessarily the soul of the dearly departed living on. There is much more to it than that!! Do the homework. I have done mine.
As far as doing your own research and data collecting. Ghost hunting is easy and loads of fun. It does not take Einstein to figure it out. Has anyone ever watched Reno 911? It is Hilarious!!

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  19:30:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Storm wrote:
quote:
Who Says the phenomenon is not real.
Nobody.

What's being said, over and over, is that if you know of irrefutable evidence of the existence of actual ghosts, then show it to us, please. Until such a time, we've got no good reason to need a classification system for them (we only need a classification system for the phenomena that are actually present).
quote:
As far as doing your own research and data collecting. Ghost hunting is easy and loads of fun.
If you assume beforehand that ghosts are things which need to be hunted.
quote:
Has anyone ever watched Reno 911? It is Hilarious!!
An attempt at changing the subject?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  19:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Let us not forget that ghosts are not just necessarily the soul of the dearly departed living on. There is much more to it than that!! Do the homework. I have done mine.

Please give us a definition of ghosts then. You are also once again shifting the Burden of Proof. It is you that must convince us, not us that must convince us.

quote:
As far as doing your own research and data collecting. Ghost hunting is easy and loads of fun. It does not take Einstein to figure it out. Has anyone ever watched Reno 911? It is Hilarious!!

Are you referencing a satire on police as learning how to search for ghosts?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  19:36:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Why should I do all the work? If you are interested you do it!! I did. You can believe what you want? But you won't get your answers overnight. If you do then well you fall into the One of the three categories- True Believer.
I am not asking anyone to believe me. I am sure not here to tell anyone that there is life after death. But the phenomenon we call ghosts exists. See all the Journals for Psychical research If you don't understand what I mean about my Spiritualism quote then do your homework. You expect me to do mine.

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  19:49:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
You come here, you make a claim, you say that you have evidence, then you refuse to show it to us. On top of that, you call us closed minded.

From this, I am willing to conclude that the evidence simply doesn't exist. Please show me wrong.

I could look through those thousands of sites on ghosts, and unless I hit everyone and show how every one is wrong, you claim that I am "ignoring the evidence." If you know of evidence that exists, why not just show me? Why not just give me what you have already found?

The only answer I can see to this is that you haven't any real evidence.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  19:53:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
No change of the subject at all!! Just a little humor. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I definetly stand by my conviction that I believe in ghosts but I surely do not expect you to take my word. I am not a God Well not Yet. But that is a whole another subject. I am merely a messenger. Do the research find the answers youself. That is the only way you will know the truth. Don't shoot the messenger. Don't overlook great men like Podomre, Gurney, Myers and if you do not know who they are than you should find out . Then let me know what your definition of a ghost is and if you believe.

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  19:58:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Dave,
There are classifications to the phenomenon.
Postmortem Apparition
Crisis Apparition
Deathbed Apparition
Anniversary Apparition
Reciprocal Apparitions
Collective Apparitions
You do the rest

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  20:07:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
To be a real Scientist you must do the work. even if it means going through 5,300,00 Yes ladies and gentlemen Five Million websites.
Yes Ricky you must do the work to not would put you into the True Believers Category. If anyone is wondering where I got the word True Believer well it was from the most wonderful article called Fence Sitting right here on this website.

Storm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.