New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  12:26:45  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message
Sorry in advance if this has been addressed before.

Does anyone have any references or links to statements G.W. has made regarding his views on evolution, either as President or Governor of Texas? I can make assumptions based on his fundamentalism, but publically he appears to have carefully avoided the issue.

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  12:56:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Thanks to http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/bush.htm who are more than happy to provide bush quotes to the likes of us.

"The very first act of the new Bush administration was to have a Protestant Evangelist minister officially dedicate the inauguration to Jesus Christ, whom he declared to be 'our savior.' Invoking 'the Father, the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ' and 'the Holy Spirit,' Billy Graham's son, the man selected by President George W. Bush to bless his presidency, excluded the tens of millions of Americans who are Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Shintoists, Unitarians, agnostics, and atheists from his blessing by his particularistic and parochial language.
"The plain message conveyed by the new administration is that George W. Bush's America is a Christian nation and that non-Christians are welcome into the tent so long as they agree to accept their status as a tolerated minority rather than as fully equal citizens. In effect, Bush is saying: 'This is our home, and in our home we pray to Jesus as our savior. If you want to be a guest in our home, you must accept the way we pray.'"
-- Alan M. Dershowitz, in "Bush Starts Off by Defying the the Constitution," Los Angeles Times, January 24, 2001

I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas, had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative eroding the important bridge between church and state.
-- George W. Bush, proving that he has it backwards: it's a "wall" separating religion from government, not a "bridge" joining the two, January 29, 2001, quoted from Jacob Weinberg, "The Complete Bushisms"

We come before God to pray for the missing and the dead, and for those who loved them.... Our purpose as a nation is firm, yet our wounds as a people are recent and unhealed and lead us to pray.... This world he created is of moral design. Grief and tragedy and hatred are only for a time. Goodness, remembrance, and love have no end, and the Lord of life holds all who die and all who mourn.... Neither death nor life nor angels nor principalities, nor powers nor things present nor things to come nor height nor depth can separate us from God's love.
-- George W. Bush, in his sermon for the National Day of Prayer and Remembrance which was held on September 14, 2001, wherein Bush quoted the New Testament passage of Romans 8:38 (angels? principalities? powers?), quoted from Josh Karpf, "Atheism in the New Holy War"

Through my Faith-Based and Community Initiative, my Administration continues to encourage the essential work of faith-based and community organizations. Governments can and should support effective social services, including those provided by religious people and organizations. When government gives that support, it is important that faith-based institutions not be forced to change their religious character.
-- George W. Bush, shamelessly promoting the idea that government ought to overturn decades -- centuries -- of civil rights progress by paying religious organizations to discriminate on the basis of religious adherence -- one of the very reasons why our Constitutison's Bill of Rights forbids our government from "respecting an establishment of religion" -- in his Proclamation: "Religious Freedom Day, 2004" (January 16, 2004) ††

Catholic schools carry out a great mission, to serve God by building knowledge and character.... By teaching the word of God, you prepare your students to follow a path of virtue.
-- George W. Bush, helping to soften the blows of justice in asking (requiring, really) taxpayers to bail out Roman Catholic schools through a publicly funded voucher program after numerous Roman Catholic parishes and dioceses being held financially accountable for clerics who terrorized and molested young boys and girls over a period of decades in the pedophile priest scandal, at a White House ceremony whose audience included more over 200 Roman Catholic officials; quoted from American Atheists Press Reelease, "Bush off Key in Singing Praises of Parochial Schools" (January 12, 2004: source citation based in part upon American Atheists' president Ellen Johnson's written response to this incident) ††

I believe God did create the world. And I think we're finding out more and more and more as to how it actually happened.-- George W. Bush, interview, U.S. News, "George W. Bush: Running on his faith," December 6, 1999

After all, religion has been around a lot longer than Darwinism.
-- George W. Bush, quoted from Aaron Latham, "How George W. Found God," George Magazine, September, 2000

Our priorities is our faith.
-- George W. Bush, Greensboro, North Carolina, October. 10, 2000, quoted from Jacob Weinberg, "The Complete Bushisms"

We will allow private and religious groups to compete to provide services in every federal, state and local social program.
-- George W. Bush, to an audience at an Indianapolis church when he announced his proposal for an "Office of Faith-Based Action" as a "clearinghouse for information on effective religious organizations and assisting them in their dealings with the federal government." Quoted from "Jesus in Charge? Whose Election Is it Anyway?" by American Atheists.

Our new faith-based laws have removed government as a roadblock to people of faith who hear the call.
-- George W. Bush, quoted from Aaron Latham, "How George W. Found God," George Magazine, September, 2000

We should -- we will -- welcome people of faith into the political process.... It is essential that believers enter the arena. Your involvement in politics helps determine how well our democracy works. We have finally learned that government programs cannot solve our problems. Government can hand out money, but government cannot put hope in our hearts or a sense of purpose in our lives.

I've heard the call. I believe God wants me to run for president.

Do I think faith will be an important part of being a good president? Yes, I do.
-- George W. Bush, interview, U.S. News, "George W. Bush: Running on his faith," December 6, 1999

I think you can judge from somebody's actions a kind of a stability and sense of purpose perhaps created by strong religious roots. I mean, there's a certain patience, a certain discipline, I think, that religion helps you achieve.
-- George W. Bush, interview, U.S. News, "George W. Bush: Running on his faith," December 6, 1999

When you turn your heart and your life over to Christ, when you accept Christ as the savior, it changes your heart.
-- George W. Bush, in Des Moines, when three of six candidates named Jesus Christ as role models, December, 1999, quoted in "Jesus in Charge? Whose Election Is it Anyway?" by American Atheists

I understand religion is a walk, it's a journey. And I fully recognize that I'm a sinner, just like you.

I urge all Texans to answer the call to serve those in need. By volunteering their time, energy or resources to helping others, adults and youngsters follow Christ's message of love and service in thought and deed.
Therefore, I, George W. Bush, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim June 10, 2000, Jesus Day in Texas and urge the appropriate recognition whereof,
In official recognition whereof,
I hereby affix my signature this
17th day of April, 2000.
-- George W. Bush, "Jesus Day 2000" Proclamation, quoted from tompaine.com

I don't think that witchcraft is a religion. I wish the military would rethink this decision.
-- Geor

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  13:28:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I've never heard of him claiming a six-day creation, at least not in so many words. Nor, on the other hand, have I seen him supporting or even showing any real interest in science.

My opinion is that he simply doesn't consider it. It's not important to his goals and ambitions beyond the necessary fellatating of the religious right, and they have yet to tell him to publicly oppose it.

As he is now a lame duck..... well, we'll have to wait and see what happens. I'm reading that perhaps that marriage is no longer quite as cuddlesome as last term.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  14:44:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Bush is only interest in science in as far as it can be used to more efficiently kill 'the enemy' (whoever that happens to be this week).

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  15:25:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message
What little I could find:

An Oct. 29 New York Times piece by Nicholas Kristof reports: Characteristically, he does not believe in evolution--he says the jury is still out--but he does not actively disbelieve in it either; as a friend puts it, "he doesn't really care about that kind of thing."

Bruce Morton, CNN Aug 27, 1999: On teaching evolution in schools, Bush believes both evolution and creationism are valid educational subjects. “He believes it is a question for states and local school boards to decide but believes both ought to be taught,” a spokeswoman said.

In other words, if you claim to have no opinion, no one can criticize you.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  15:44:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
as a friend puts it, "he doesn't really care about that kind of thing."

"that kind of thing" is just science in general. Or maybe its life?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  15:51:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TG

What little I could find:

An Oct. 29 New York Times piece by Nicholas Kristof reports: Characteristically, he does not believe in evolution--he says the jury is still out--but he does not actively disbelieve in it either; as a friend puts it, "he doesn't really care about that kind of thing."

Yes, that's the phrase I heard as well. "The jury's still out."

Just like on global warming, Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, Sadaam's Al Queda ties, etc... Essentially every answer he doesn't like he tells his staff to go think on it some more, that way he can claim they are still deciding. The jury is out indeed.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 11/19/2004 15:52:54
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  17:54:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think the guy's a sociopath. Any 'beliefs' he might cling to are little more than a veneer covering the withered soul of someone with neither empathy nor understanding, nor conscience, nor the desire to have any of them. To him, those that do are weaklings to be bullied. He has no curosity and is intellectually bankrupt. When he peers out from behind his shoddy veneer, all he can see are his own, private goals. Pampered and protected all of his life, he is convinced that anything he wants automaticly belongs to him merely because he desires it. This belief is reenforced by having been given everything and getting bailed out every time he screws it up.

The only authority he recognizes is that of someone stronger and nastier than himself, then he becomes pliable.

The troops he sent into the Iraqi mangle, many ill-equiped and now streched too thin, mean no more to Bush than the frogs he firecrackered as a child. To him, they are no more than expendable material. The fact that he should have to answer for war crimes will never mean anything to him. In the unlikely event he lands in the dock, he will not be able to understand why he is there.

In short, the man is a foul piece human offal, and I think my fucking ulcer is bleeding again.........

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.