Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  09:07:45  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
So I was looking at the most recent Skeptic Summary and noticed that something like 20 new members joined last week. Some of them, e.g. bebebebebe123, have posted. Most, however, don't seem to have posted anything.

Similarly, our Member list is 96 (!) pages long-- over 1,400 people! Yet not everyone who's joined has posted. Indeed, page 43 sees the last member who's posted, meaning that over half our members have never posted once.

And among those that have posted, many have done so only a few times and left seemingly never to return. Granted, this doesn't mean that they won't come back-- I first joined back in May of 2003, but didn't start regularly posting until almost a year later. I know that Wendy has a similar story.

So here's my question: to all you lurkers out there who have joined but not posted, what's stopping you?!? There's nothing better than the anonymity of the internet to post your rant about Masons, ID, UFOs, or eating too many sunflower seeds, or to ask questions about dating techniques (both scientific and social!), or to comment on news or politics.

Some of us may be harsh at times when dealing with controversial claims, but in general I think that what everyone really wants is to have a great community-- and great community participation-- here at SFN.

So here's your chance: if you've never posted before, go ahead and post! It can be at this thread, or at another forum. Ask a question, make a comment, or even tell a joke! We'd all love to hear from you!

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  19:06:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message

I concur with Cuneiformist.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  19:56:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I think that, in many cases, it is a matter of knowing that any statement made is likely to get challenged, especally if the poster hasn't done his/her research down to the last jot and tittle. Nobody wants to get their hump busted over something that really isn't important in the matter of putting groceries in the icebox.

This is, of course, a false impression. Unfortunatly, those such as verlch often bring out the worst in us and that is the impression we put forth. I am at least as guilty as anyone and am unlikely to change my ways. Thus, I think we are lurked upon for the amusment value. It's fun to see someone else's hump get busted.

A pity, really. I've no doubt that most of these folks would make some interesting contributions, indeed create some good discussions.

As Cuneiformist said, "C'mon in folks, the water's fine!"

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  20:19:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Some probably sign up one day and completely forget about it the next, never to come back. Others leave because they have no time left. Others get sick of us and our need for such absurd things known as "evidence". Still others just like to read, don't really feel the need to post.

If you look, there aren't too many lurkers who are members. You can see what members are browsing the forums at the bottom of the main page. I rarely see a name I don't recognize, although I haven't been paying too much attention to it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  20:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
You can see what members are browsing the forums at the bottom of the main page. I rarely see a name I don't recognize, although I haven't been paying too much attention to it.

Where? I used to see it, but the list disappeared some time ago, at least on my box.

Is my wretched computer screwing the kitty again?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  20:38:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Some probably sign up one day and completely forget about it the next, never to come back. Others leave because they have no time left. Others get sick of us and our need for such absurd things known as "evidence". Still others just like to read, don't really feel the need to post.

I know that a lurker Creationist might feel like she or he doesn't want to get in a debate because it would be fruitless. But what about the skeptics?

I first recall jumping in full steam back when verlch was talking about 2000 year old trees (though I'd been a member for some months before that). Don't other skeptics read, for instance, some of verlch's stuff and want to jump in?

I'm talking to YOU, lurker! There has to be a thread in the humor forum you want to add to, or some news story you'd like to comment on? A poll, perhaps?!?
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  20:50:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

I first recall jumping in full steam back when verlch was talking about 2000 year old trees (though I'd been a member for some months before that). Don't other skeptics read, for instance, some of verlch's stuff and want to jump in?

Funny you to mention that, I think my very first post this forum was on Verlch's assertions. I can't seem to find that topic now, the one which "Verlch's assertions" by Dave W. was based off of. What happened to it?

Edit:

Found it! My very first post to the SFN

Wow that seems so long ago...

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 11/29/2004 20:55:06
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  20:55:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey, I know one reas... oh, I'm not a lurker.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  23:11:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
I know what's wrong...they're probably counting out how many feathers an owl has!

(November 28 Sunday chat inside joke, folks! Sorry, you had to have been there)

Seriously, yeah. Join in. The people here only gets antsy if you act up yourself. Otherwise, even those of opposite viewpoints can get along!

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  05:57:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I think Dave scared them
But, really. Some people just forget. I usually do, but you guys are so darn interesting...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Spock
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  06:21:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mr. Spock a Private Message
Sometimes I feel badly for not posting more often. I've been a member here for at least two or three years; every now and then I'll get bored and leave for a while, but I always come back. I really like the current lineup of skeptics who frequent the forum. A while back (the last time I was active) we had some real assholes, even among the skeptics, and after having been beaten up several times over a misrepresentation of my position, I said to hell with it. You folks seem to be able do disagree without becoming acrimonious. For the most part, though, I am educated and entertained simply by reading your posts. If I don't feel that I can contribute an informed viewpoint, I'd rather just "watch." After all, that's what we accuse the cretinists and others of doing--presenting themselves as authorities on matters about which their knowledge is incomplete.

"The amount of noise which anyone can bear stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity." --Schopenhauer
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  06:53:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Sometimes one has to leave to contemplate. That is what I did? This is definetly one of the best forums I have been on in a long time. Som Many times I would get kicked off. I can be a little pushy and set in my ways. But over the last couple of posts I really had to sit back and contemplate what has been discussed. After deep contemplation I have a whole bunch of new topics to discuss. So I hope you are interested?

Storm
Go to Top of Page

way

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  07:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send way a Private Message
Okay. I admit it. I've been a lurker. I have really enjoyed the threads and really like the way all you skeptics think. I'd say I've been a closet skeptic all my life. Guess it's time for a change. I'm tired of the same old routine.

As of very early this morning, I was the newest member and here I've posted on the same day. I look forward to some interesting conversations whether I'm "busting" or getting "busted"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  07:07:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

Sometimes one has to leave to contemplate. That is what I did? This is definetly one of the best forums I have been on in a long time. Som Many times I would get kicked off. I can be a little pushy and set in my ways. But over the last couple of posts I really had to sit back and contemplate what has been discussed. After deep contemplation I have a whole bunch of new topics to discuss. So I hope you are interested?

Yes-indeedy-do!

And don't worry about getting kicked here. You'd have to do something even more heinious than feeding Dave W's grandmother to the Bugbladder Beast to accomplish that.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  07:11:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by way

Okay. I admit it. I've been a lurker. I have really enjoyed the threads and really like the way all you skeptics think. I'd say I've been a closet skeptic all my life. Guess it's time for a change. I'm tired of the same old routine.

As of very early this morning, I was the newest member and here I've posted on the same day. I look forward to some interesting conversations whether I'm "busting" or getting "busted"

Hi way (chuckle, snort), and welcome!

If you've been lurkin', you know how it's done. Looking forward to your input.

Edited 'cause i forgot how to spel.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/30/2004 07:20:08
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  07:22:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Spock

Sometimes I feel badly for not posting more often. I've been a member here for at least two or three years; every now and then I'll get bored and leave for a while, but I always come back. I really like the current lineup of skeptics who frequent the forum. A while back (the last time I was active) we had some real assholes, even among the skeptics, and after having been beaten up several times over a misrepresentation of my position, I said to hell with it. You folks seem to be able do disagree without becoming acrimonious. For the most part, though, I am educated and entertained simply by reading your posts. If I don't feel that I can contribute an informed viewpoint, I'd rather just "watch." After all, that's what we accuse the cretinists and others of doing--presenting themselves as authorities on matters about which their knowledge is incomplete.

Long time, no see, B'rer Spock! You were one of those who I was wondering what happened to.

Welcome back!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.