Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  07:57:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Welcome to SFN, way and, though we've alreayd "met" in other forums, storm. And Mr. Spock, welcome back.

LEt me first say that I totally understand the whole "lurking" thing, and I also know all about joining and then leaving for awhile. As I've noted already, I joined and then-- for reasons that now escape me (perhaps I just forgot?!?)-- laid low for almost a year. (In fact, I found my first post after my hiatus here!)

And sometimes, even though I like to think I'm "active" here, I'll scan the forums and find nothing that strikes me enough to comment or post. So if you are lurking because you don't feel compelled to post, that's OK.

But then again, if you've got something you want to say-- be it about a current thread or some current event (noteworthy or not!)-- we'd love it if you brought it up here on the forums!

So again, to our new and returning members, welcome, and we look forward to seeing you post (if you feel like it )!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  08:24:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
If I don't feel that I can contribute an informed viewpoint, I'd rather just "watch." After all, that's what we accuse the cretinists and others of doing--presenting themselves as authorities on matters about which their knowledge is incomplete.

Just wanted to clear a bit of something up. I am in no way an authority on anything (yet... ). I think that very few, if any, members think they are an authority on things discussed here. You don't need to be an authority to be a skeptic. For more reading, Click Here

I must say, Cune, I didn't think this would bring any lurkers out. But congrats, you got one! (So far)

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  12:59:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
If I don't feel that I can contribute an informed viewpoint, I'd rather just "watch." After all, that's what we accuse the cretinists and others of doing--presenting themselves as authorities on matters about which their knowledge is incomplete.

Just wanted to clear a bit of something up. I am in no way an authority on anything (yet... ). I think that very few, if any, members think they are an authority on things discussed here. You don't need to be an authority to be a skeptic. For more reading, Click Here

I must say, Cune, I didn't think this would bring any lurkers out. But congrats, you got one! (So far)

Good point, Ricky-- you need not be an "expert" to comment on something. Lord knows, my knowledge of the biological sciences is oh so superficial. Thus, many of my posts in the area of evolution v creation, for example, are based on challenging the logic of a creationist's theory. In other cases, a desire to answer a question leads me to spen a few minuters (eh, hours) doing some research on a topic that I might not otherwise ever think to look at. For instance, in discussing ID with Jerry, I spent a lot of time learning about retro-viruses. My presentation (see the debate here) was just a regurgitation of what others have written, but it was still fun to do.

And hey-- the more people that participate in SFN, the better. And if all it takes a little prodding to get a few lurkers out there to join in, than I'm happy to do it!
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  13:02:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
One of the problems I have is after I have read a topic through, most of what I want to say has been said, and I don't want to write hundreds of "I agree" posts.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  13:58:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

One of the problems I have is after I have read a topic through, most of what I want to say has been said, and I don't want to write hundreds of "I agree" posts.

That's a great point Paulos23. I, too, have sometimes found a thread and thought that all that needs to be said has been said. And indeed, too many "what he said" posts make a thread very dull very fast. (I am a fan of The Amazing Race and used to go to the at forums at TWoP, but how many times can you read "I really liked that episode" before it gets old?)

My advice for that, Paulos23 (and anyone else listening in...) is twofold: first, check the SFN forums often. That way, you're more likely to be one of the first posters and thus more likely to dominate a thread make an interesting and unique point. Also, keep with it. What seems like a tired thread after 3 pages may suddenly become interesting when a person posts an off-topic rant about, oh, how the Masons are going to take over the world with phallic symbols and owls!

And lastly, feel free to post your own topic! Saw a good movie lately? Comment on it. Hell, the Book Review forum is always slow. Perhaps we should appeal to the powers that be to make it a media review-- then movies, TV, music, and books could be discussed.

But I digress. Anyhow, you might post about a question you had, or want to debate the merits of cold fusion. Start your own thread! They won't always generate traffic (and if not, see Dave's latest thread), but it's a start!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  14:11:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

My advice for that, Paulos23 (and anyone else listening in...) is twofold: first, check the SFN forums often.
If you're not clicking "Active Topics" every 15 minutes or so, you're just not SFN materi...

...nevermind, I just found that behaviour in the DSM under "psychotic."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  15:05:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I must admit you Skeptics have a great sense of humor Just contemplating the whole Mason conquest with the phallic symbols and the owls. But it still does not top Daves 20 year old grocery story
If your SFN material you'll know what I mean

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  15:36:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Mr. Verlch, especially, is a great source of humour. He really loves the masons, illuminati and such.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Spock
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  19:49:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mr. Spock a Private Message
Thanks for welcoming me back. I suppose that another explanation for my hiatus is the fact that, while definitely skeptical in temperament, I feel the need to occaisionally break from the ranks and flirt with irrationality, if for no other reason than to demonstrate, from personal experience, the foolishness thereof. Less than three months ago, for instance, I was practically engaged to an established psychic and clairvoyant. I did eventually return to my senses and now I'm back....I'll have to say, though--while she turned out to be crazier than a shit house rat, she was one hell of a lay, with many other endearing qualities. Anyway, there are probably more like me--not died in the wool, skeptics' skeptics, but not merely tourists either, and thus the sporadic nature of our posting.

"The amount of noise which anyone can bear stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity." --Schopenhauer
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  21:42:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

Seriously, yeah. Join in. The people here only gets antsy if you act up yourself. Otherwise, even those of opposite viewpoints can get along!

Maybe its like the Fermi Question.
Skeptic Friend: "There are many intelligent lurkers out there. I'm sure they are observing us. They are likely millions of hours ahead of us in Internet posting time.

Enrico Fermi: "Then where are they?" (i.e. "Why aren't they here?")

By they way "the_ignored," what is that avatar image of yours? It bends my brain. I can't quite figure out what it is. It looks like a strange eye at the end of a furry tube with a little brown lid.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  00:50:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
By they way "the_ignored," what is that avatar image of yours? It bends my brain. I can't quite figure out what it is. It looks like a strange eye at the end of a furry tube with a little brown lid.

I seem to remember we had an entire topic on this before, but I'm too lazy to look it up. I still maintain that it is a bunny with some kind of disk on his head.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  07:46:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Spock
Anyway, there are probably more like me--not died in the wool, skeptics' skeptics, but not merely tourists either, and thus the sporadic nature of our posting.

That's probably true, Spock (I love saying that). And perhaps it's just a numbers game. If you go to some of the big Christian forums, you'll have huge participation. But the number of Christians in this country (or in the English-speaking world)-- even the kind of people who actually described themselves as Christian above anything else (as opposed to "mother" or "Minnestoan" or "artist" or whatever)-- is a huge number. Skeptics-- even if you include those like you, Spock (and this isn't to say that I'd call myself "atheist" or "skeptic" above "half-drunk grad student" or anything)-- have to fall pretty far down the list. But if over 1,400 saw fit to register here, surely more than one or two hundred are something close to "dyed in the wool skeptic," no? Maybe...
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 12/02/2004 07:49:40
Go to Top of Page

Shacal
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  10:24:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Shacal a Private Message
This seemed to be the place to say hi. I've been lurking here and enjoying the conversation for about a year now. I never really wanted to post, because, like way, I feel like you all pretty much have things handled. I DO consider myself a dyed in the wool skeptic (although I mean no offense to Spock) and my reason for never joining has been one more of the practicality of posting, decent material (I'm busy) than of dedication.

By the way- Thanks for countless hours of fascinating reading!!!!

"The problem with communication is the illusion that we have accomplished it"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  11:29:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shacal

This seemed to be the place to say hi. I've been lurking here and enjoying the conversation for about a year now. I never really wanted to post, because, like way, I feel like you all pretty much have things handled. I DO consider myself a dyed in the wool skeptic (although I mean no offense to Spock) and my reason for never joining has been one more of the practicality of posting, decent material (I'm busy) than of dedication.

By the way- Thanks for countless hours of fascinating reading!!!!

Greetings Shacal, and welcome to the fray discussion.

Most fortuitious, and just as I was thinking of baking up a batch of Powdermilk Biscuits, too!

Lookin' forward to your input.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  12:43:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
I am also guilty of "lurking", but I bust out in spurts. I have many interest and am easily bored. I originally signed up back in 2001! Disappeared for a while (lurking occasionally) then returned with (for me) a flurry of posts and have recently vanished again. I have allot of hobbies, a family, work and I like to read. The pattern will probably remain the same. I'll vanish for a while only to return with another flurry.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.