Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  15:31:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Filthy what made you decide that your ghostly phenomeno was just light and fog? because your teacher told you? What if the light and fog and temparture reacted with certain pieces of our energy thus reproducing the apparition. Others have witnessed it too. Nothing of this explanation makes it Supernatural. But quite natural indeed.

As I explained, or thought I did, I went back on several occasions when the conditions were right.

The image would only appear for an instant at just the right distance from the tracks, and at just the right angle. It was never visible coming from the other way. Mr. Godwin's conclusion was and remains the only one that makes sense to me. But, I'll leave you to make up your own mind on it.

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  16:06:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
If no energy is left when the body dies is not the time it takes for the body to lose heat energy dispersing and still existing working?

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  16:45:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Some interesting thought from the european journal of parapsychology . I found it to have some favoretoward the existence of the phenomen it just has not been spotted and there might be a time when they will. Very favorable evidence toward the phenomenon of PSI it was not at all contadictivr towards what I have said
This I found to be a very positive reaction to the phenomenonThen we try to take all eleven into account
to see whether or not they may also account for events that have been taken as
evidence for something literally beyond nature; as supernatural. We would argue
that it is very difficult to build a case in a scientific way for the existence of something
beyond nature. We're good at finding out what belongs within nature; at any given
time there may be things left over, that seem to be quite chaotic, not looking as though
there are rules or laws of nature involved. In any particular case all we could say is
that given our current level of observation and interpretation, we haven't yet spotted
any pattern suggesting lawfulness. But we cannot then draw the inference that we will
never spot such patterns, and there are many examples which were previously
regarded as supernatural or miraculous which now have yielded to science and have
more conventional interpretations.

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  16:51:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Having no clu to what it was to leave the expereience almost undecide can almost make som think it has some supernatural conotations to it? What happened?

Argument from ignorance:

We don't know what caused it so the supernatural caused it.

When it is really supposed to be:

We don't know what caused it so we don't know what caused it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  17:09:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
We don't know the supernatural caused it?
I never said it did. But I didn't say I didn't
But if we do not know if it is natural how can you said it was not supernatural? How do we scientifically measure what is termed Supernatural?
Etymology: Medieval Latin supernaturalis, from Latin super- + natura nature
1 : of or relating to an order of existence beyond the visible observable universe; especially : of or relating to God or a god, demigod, spirit, or devil
2 a : departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature b : attributed to an invisible agent (as a ghost or spirit)

This is what Merriam Webster says

So how do measure the supernatural?

Storm
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  18:44:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Storm wrote:

check out this website H. http://www.herbertwarmstrong.com/enlyten_energy_sun.htm

I have no problem doing homework.

Thoughts?

I have a thought. The website you referenced was written by someone with no knowledge of the subject. Example:

quote:
Could the sun radiate heat from 93 million miles away and still heat our planet since there's absolutely no heat between us? “It is VERY cold in space.” Then obviously, something else must enter the equation here. So something besides the traditional explanations must give us the explanation of the warmth that we need and experience. Heat cannot travel some 93 million miles and come to us through absolute cold, then suddenly come out hot at the other end. We could reason that heat must have some mystical medium through which to travel, but are we talking about heat at all?

Here is an explanation which does not rely on speculative woo-woo bullshit:

quote:
Radiation: The transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves. This form of energy transfer does not require the presence of matter to occur. In this form energy can travel through empty space from the Sun to the Earth and other planets in the solar system. Radiation also occurs within the climate system between the earth's surface and the atmosphere, and within the atmosphere and ocean.

As long as electromagnetic radiation travels through empty space it remains intact. When electromagnetic radiation encounters a parcel of matter, be it a solid, liquid or gas, it goes through one or all of three processes:

transmission
reflection
absorption
(see Figure 4). To represent the degree to which each process occurs we associate a dimensionless coefficient with each. These are the coefficients of tansmissivity, reflectivity, and absorptivity of matter. All these coefficient determine the fraction of incident radiation that is either transmitted, reflected or absorbed.

Or if you want to get really technical...

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Edited by - R.Wreck on 12/09/2004 18:47:11
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  19:50:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Wreck, and all this time I thought the sun warmed us with its love.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/09/2004 19:50:15
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  21:40:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

what is interesting to me Dave is that your quote makes you undecided about what you experienced but yet the experience must have existed?
How many times do I have to say it, Storm? I don't deny the experiences happened. What I question is the conclusions people reach regarding them.
quote:
Having no clu to what it was to leave the expereience almost undecide can almost make som think it has some supernatural conotations to it?
Thank you for proving my point. It is unreasonable to suggest that the experiences were in any way supernatural when you haven't even asked me what those experiences were.
quote:
What happened?
It doesn't matter. You've demonstrated my point quite aptly, but probably without understanding it at all.
quote:
Definetly not a ditz and definetly not rude
Your continued insistence that you are not rude is shown to be false by your next sentence:
quote:
If you do not like my posts then don't read them...
Let me propose an analogy: a stranger comes into your home (for whatever reason, it isn't important), and begins saying things to you that you find bizarre and illogical. You attempt to correct this person on matters of science, logic, and simple human decency, and are rebuffed over and over again. You ask pertinent questions which are apparently ignored. Finally, you start losing your patience, and the person says to you (in your own home!), "if you don't like what I'm saying, don't listen to me."

Is that person rude? A 'yes' or a 'no' will suffice for an answer.
quote:
...I don't see anyone else having so many posts as I except for maybe Verlc?
Ah, yes. Thousands or millions of people protesting against the Vietnam war really meant it was an interesting and non-rude police action.
quote:
Filthy what made you decide that your ghostly phenomeno was just light and fog? because your teacher told you? What if the light and fog and temparture reacted with certain pieces of our energy thus reproducing the apparition. Others have witnessed it too. Nothing of this explanation makes it Supernatural. But quite natural indeed.
No, until you show what "certain pieces of energy" are, through demonstration and evidence within nature, it is completely unnatural. Guessing that an unknown "energy" might be interacting with natural stuff does not mean you have a "natural" explanation.
quote:
It makes me feel somewhat sad and disillusioned that dave and furshur would think I was so rude. I might be forthcoming and assertive but i am not rude.
Disillusioned? You're the one who came here and told us right off the bat that you found skeptics to be close-minded. All of this crap should only confirm your pre-judgement.

In a later post, you wrote:
quote:
...it was not at all contadictivr towards what I have said...
Then you didn't read what I wrote to you very carefully. You're running around claiming that we need to embrace a "new science," and that we need to "move beyond" our current logical tools. The author of that article says the opposite. And this part:
But we cannot then draw the inference that we will never spot such patterns, and there are many examples which were previously regarded as supernatural or miraculous which now have yielded to science and have more conventional interpretations.
This is not predictive of anything. PSI advocates have been trying to get PSI to "yeild to science" for over 100 years now, and have failed to do so. How much longer should we wait before considering the quest to be futile?!?
quote:
So how do measure the supernatural?
By defintion, we don't. That's what makes it unscientific. Thank you.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  21:23:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
H. Humbert wrote:

Wreck, and all this time I thought the sun warmed us with its love.

I think you might have it mixed up with The Candy Man

quote:
Who can take a sunrise, sprinkle it with dew
Cover it with choc'late and a miracle or two
The Candy Man, oh the Candy Man can
The Candy Man can 'cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  13:38:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10/psi/tucson.html

Just an article to think about?
Check out Brian D. Josephines websit pretty cool

Storm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.