Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 I put up one of my bird-feeders the other day....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  08:25:47  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's the one made from a small, galvinized garbage can and holds some 20 pounds of sunflower seeds. The other, a very old one I hammered together from plywood with a slightly larger capacity, is popping out at the seams and needs a little more Bondo and sheetrock screws before it can go back into service. I plan on making a couple more garbage can feeders.

Anyhow, the 'badminton court' is back in action. I have titmouses, chickadeeds, nuthatchs, bluejays, carolina sparrows, a golden-fronted woodpecker, and the first of what will be several grey squirrels. No cardinals or redpolls yet, nor have the hairy woodpeckers found the suet feeeder, but they'll be along directly, I'm sure.

Birdshit will soon be everywhere.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Deborah
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  12:18:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Deborah a Private Message
I live in a condo Filthy and I tried putting up a bird feeder, but all I did was get birdseed everywhere, which in rainy Portland becomes goo if you don't clean it up right away. Also, instead of attracting colorful birds, I attracted pigeons...who *hit all over my balcony. They also make annoying noises! Cooo Cooo Coooo
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  12:52:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I used to put bird feeders to get hummingbirds (as I live in a condo, too)... they're so sweet.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  13:18:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

I used to put bird feeders to get hummingbirds (as I live in a condo, too)... they're so sweet.

I also feed hummers, in season. Here, we have but a single species, the ruby throated. Brasil is fortunate to have several.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  13:27:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Some of them are really gorgeous, all colorful. We got some to visit us often in Rio. We've never tried it here, but I've seen plenty dashing around the flowers.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  15:59:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
The hummingbirds over here in Northern California are somewhat blue-green. They're aggressive little guys. There is definitely a pecking order around the feeder, and they'll chase eachother off to get a drink. The cat finds all this interesting to watch but doesn't attempt to catch one. They're too fast.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  16:31:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

The hummingbirds over here in Northern California are somewhat blue-green. They're aggressive little guys. There is definitely a pecking order around the feeder, and they'll chase eachother off to get a drink. The cat finds all this interesting to watch but doesn't attempt to catch one. They're too fast.

The ruby throats are pretty much the same. Much hate and discontent, but I keep four feeders going, so all get their fill. When honeysuckle season slows down my front yard fills up with flying toothpicks. If you move gently and don't make noise, they will come to ignore you and you can observe them pretty close up.

Twice, I've taken a medium-sized black rat snake (Elaphe obsoleta) off my railing where he was poised to snag hummers, and released it across the road. The third time was the charm and I gave the greedy rascal to a scout troop. That was some four years ago, and they still have him (I was called to probe him and confirmed the gender, much to the snake's disgust).

Rarely a dull moment around here, and it's all self inflicted.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Spock
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  18:10:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mr. Spock a Private Message
Are you a Carolinian too, Filthy? Sounds like my collection of birds. I haven't been feeding them, though, since my feline friends came into my life. I don't want to make it too easy for the damn cats to catch them. Any suggestions?

"The amount of noise which anyone can bear stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity." --Schopenhauer
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  18:43:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I too put up my bird feeders but I would never use one of Filthy's garbage can feeders because we occasionally get black bears visiting our feeders. I wouldn't want to lose that much seed at a time. The beats tend to spread seed everywhere, which really attracts the Morning Doves.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  12:26:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Both feeders are up and running as well as the suet feeder. And the gang's all here!

Cardinal, chickadee, tufted twitmouse, goldfinch, carolina sparrow, redpoll, blue jay, nuthatch, hairy woodpecker, golden fronted woodpecker, rufus sided tohee, junko, and I've seen the first of the red wing blackbirds and boat tailed grackles. They'll be here in force in another, couple of weeks. Also a small flock of mourning doves is scavenging spilled seed on the ground.

I currently have some four grey squirrels rioting around the feeders, looking more like brunswick stew every day.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  12:37:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Spock

Are you a Carolinian too, Filthy? Sounds like my collection of birds. I haven't been feeding them, though, since my feline friends came into my life. I don't want to make it too easy for the damn cats to catch them. Any suggestions?

My cat is far too old, well-fed and lazy to catch birds, but there are a couple of others that get optomistic now and then. A low-powerd BB pistol discourages them. You don't actually have to hit the cat; the sound alone will send them packing.

Birds at the feeder are not easy to catch, especally if there are several there. There is always at least one pair of eyes watching and they don't miss much. The biggest nuisance cats present is that they scare the birds away.

Go ahead and hang the feeder and don't worry about it.

Sorry to get back so late...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  12:46:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
I currently have some four grey squirrels rioting around the feeders, looking more like brunswick stew every day.

Hey, filthy, is there such a thing as a truly squirrel-proof feeder? I have tried several, but the little bastards are a step ahead of me every time. Your garbage can feeders sound great, but very heavy. I want feeders that are high so that I can see them from my windows.

My brother and son hunt squirrel in season, but that's no help in my yard as we can't shoot them in town. Any suggestions?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  13:40:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Very simple; mount the feeder on a post and just under the feeder, cover the post with one of those large, plastic soda bottles. They can't climb over it.

Me, I enjoy the acrobatics of squirrels as much as the birds, but then my feeders are so large that even with the rodents, it takes them a fair while to be emptied. I usually go through anywhere from 250 to 300 pounds of sunflower seed per winter. I usually buy it 100 pounds at a time in four 25 pound bags.

Durn birds live better than I do...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  15:31:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Very simple; mount the feeder on a post and just under the feeder, cover the post with one of those large, plastic soda bottles. They can't climb over it.

Thank you! What about the ones that jump onto the feeder from the trees above? I agree the squirrels are fun to watch, but they can empty a regular feeder in minutes! I've got children to feed. Tons of birdseed won't work with my budget.

I have a neighbor with three walnut trees, and another with two oak trees. Seems like the squirrels could leave the bird seed alone.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  16:32:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Again, it's the bellywash bottle to the rescue. I assume that you have the kind of feeder that has a pitched roof, so what you do is cut up the bottles into flat pieces and shingle it with the slick plastic. Be sure and make all of the overlaps facing down and put a ridge cap on it. Glue it rather than use nails so it's perfectly smooth. Squirrels are pretty smart and after one slides off a time or two, he'll have learned.

Another, easier solution is to simply trim away all of the limbs that are within leaping range.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/22/2004 16:34:33
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  16:57:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Wendy wrote:

Hey, filthy, is there such a thing as a truly squirrel-proof feeder?

You could try the Twirl-a-Squirrel. Looks effective, and entertaining. Check out the video on the web site.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.