Orthomolecular Medicine
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  04:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Mmm, today my mother was watching some early morning culinary show, and there was this orthomolecular doctor giving diet tips on how to be healthy and living longer, prevent aging and that kind of stuff. Although most of those tips were logical, I can remember seeing in a magazine that the so-called orthomolecular medicine's a sham. So I ran a search in Altavista to check this out, but couldn't find anything conclusive... most sites list it as alternative medicine (that rings a red alarm to me).

So, my question is: what do you people think about it, if anything at all?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  05:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
So, my question is: what do you people think about it, if anything at all?

After studying chemistry for 5 years as an undergraduate i've never heard the term "orthomolecular". There's "ortho" indicating the position of sidechains on ring structures and there's of course the term "molecular" so "orthomolecular" might refer to certain specific compounds, however it doesn't seem to make much sense in the context of food.
I'll look into it though.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  05:29:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I found it on Quackwatch.
Apparently, their idea is that vitamins are the cure for everything, that the food we eat is evil and that we should take absurd quantities of pills to prevent vitamin deficiency. Yep, it's a sham.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  05:40:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

I found it on Quackwatch.
Apparently, their idea is that vitamins are the cure for everything, that the food we eat is evil and that we should take absurd quantities of pills to prevent vitamin deficiency. Yep, it's a sham.

Yeah, i just found the same thing. This whole orthomolecular (apparently this is derived from the greek phrase for "the right molecule") thing looks somewhat unreliable, especially considering the fact that the proponents only seem to publish in an apparently privately owned journal. I'm uncertain though how common this is in the field of medicine, however my own experience is that publications in relatively unknown journals should be treated with more skepticism then the more high-ranking ones that are owned by renowned institutions like say, the National Acadamy of Sciences or the American Chemical Society.
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  05:54:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
One of the sites advocating this approach mentions a "Dr. Robert C. Atkins" as a treating doctor. Where do we remember this character from, you ask?. Why, the Atkins Diet of course.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  05:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
That's what I think, too. But how to explain that to your easily swept-away-by-pseudoscientific-claims mom? She apparently bought it, though she agreed when I told her it's very unlikely sugar's such an enemy of mankind, and that what the so-called orthomolecular doctor said was pretty much common sense.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.