filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  18:42:12  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
These things just might kill you. From Scientific American:
quote:
Herbal Remedies Found to Contain Toxic Heavy Metals

Some herbal remedies may do more harm than good. Researchers writing today in the Journal of the American Medical Association report that 20 percent of herbal medicine products sampled contained dangerous levels of heavy metals.

Listed are lead, mercury, and arsenic. Nasty stuff. It causes me to wonder how many deaths or serious illness' have been caused by herbal remedies that were atttrubited to something else.

[Moved to the Health Folder - Dave W.]

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  19:23:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

"Although the prevalence of heavy metal-containing Ayurvedic [herbal medicine products] is unknown, the number of individuals at potential risk is substantial," the team writes. "Our findings support calls for reform of DSHEA that would require mandatory testing of all imported dietary supplements for toxic heavy metals." --Sarah Graham

Amen...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  19:27:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
It causes me to wonder how many deaths or serious illness' have been caused by herbal remedies that were atttrubited to something else.

Well, one is to many. Odds are it's many more than one.

The problem is that you can't keep stupid people safe from themselves. Combine that with deliberate misinformation by the people selling this junk, and you end up with corpses.

Afterall, if the bottle says "herbal" it's got to be good for you, right?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  19:53:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Afterall, if the bottle says "herbal" it's got to be good for you, right?

Only if it's filled with fermented and distilled vegetable matter or essence of cannabis.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  00:32:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Reminds me of an old Randi commentary
quote:
Reader Rob Mackey sends us this from a western Pennsylvania newspaper item, about a teen girl who decided that chewing jimsonweed seeds was a smart thing to do, because she read somewhere that it was "cool." This is a poisonous plant that sometimes kills cattle who graze on it, though it's prickly and nasty. The name comes from "Jamestown weed," which was first identified in Jamestown, Virginia. The girl was found wandering the streets in a daze.

"I thought it would be safe because it's natural," the girl told the Cresson Township police. "There aren't any chemicals or anything in it." Oh, I see.

"What do they teach these kids in school these days?" asks Rob. "Lets see,"a chemical-free compound. If I invent that, can I pocket the cool million? I won't quit my day job."
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  10:40:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
I confess I occasionally use Valarian Root as a remedy for insomnia. I've tried other remedies and they leave me feeling groggy the next day. It's the only herbal remedy I have ever used, but it seems to work well for me.

Up until now the only down side was that it smells like feet.

I'll have to do some research to try to find out if the toxic metal content occurs in certain specific remedies and/or brands. Thanks for the tip.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.