Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  09:04:41  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
I've had to tear myself away from the tv. I don't think many people can comprehend the events happening in New York right now. Perhaps survivors of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, or Dresden, but certainly none of us who have lived relatively uneventful lives.

The minds which could plan and execute such things are clearly not normal. Blind hatred, fuelled by religious and ethnic differences, is behind this.

I fear that there is absolutely no short term solution, and that other like minds will feel emboldened, take action, and that more devastation will occur.

And I feel so damned helpless...

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  09:09:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
This might seem odd to say, but when I saw that plane hit the World Trade Center on tv I had to wonder who was flying it. Surely no airline pilot would do that. Is it possible that the terrorists trained people to fly large planes like that?

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  09:40:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
No, they probably killed the pilots and took over the planes. Remember, they knew they didn't have do anything difficult, like land. All they had to do was steer and point.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  09:42:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
quote:

Is it possible that the terrorists trained people to fly large planes like that?

The hardest part would be starting the engines, getting it off the ground, and getting it safely down again. Obviously a safe landing was not needed in this case. All aircraft follow the same basic laws of aerodynamics, and they wouldn't need to know much more than that. Overpower the flight crew, turn off the autopilot, and you now have a guided missile.

There MUST be retaliation. I'm not exactly an 'eye for an eye' sort of person, but this case clearly calls for response. The U.S. should rethink the policy against political assassinations; the response must be of surgical precision, and devastating.

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  09:48:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I suppose you're right. Someone told me that there were reports that the Bin Laden had been training pilots. I'm not sure about the accuracy of that but you have to think that there was some training involved. With any luck that will help identify the attackers.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  10:13:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
Interesting development. President Bush goes to Barksdale AFB. That's where the B2 fleet is based. Could we be seeing a VERY rapid response?

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  10:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I hope that's not it. I can just picture a bunch of bombers in the air unsure of where to go.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  10:21:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
quote:

I suppose you're right. Someone told me that there were reports that the Bin Laden had been training pilots. I'm not sure about the accuracy of that but you have to think that there was some training involved. With any luck that will help identify the attackers.

@tomic

Anyone with enough money can get the necessary training, up to and including the operation of jet airliners. This operation would not require even that, all they need is four maniacs who can steer a plane to the right destination, and operate the controls to a descent. Both of these are relatively simple.
As for retaliation, we are in an unprecedented situation here, and all the old rules are off. Anyone who had anything to do with this is dead meat.
I also want to point out that, at this point, there is no proof of responsibility. The suicide attack method strongly suggests the Middle East, but it is important that any action be based on solid proof. I hope that George W Bush can resist what will no doubt be a storm of hysteria and wait for that proof before he reacts. Once the proof is in hand, I don't believe that any method should be ruled out.

Abducting UFOs and conspiring against conspiracy theorists since 1980.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  10:47:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
My daughter works in WTC 1.

All the circuits to New York are down.

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  10:52:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Slater,

I hope for the best and she either wasn't there or at least got out. I want to say more but it's hard to come up with anything.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  11:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message

America, indeed the free world at large, has been brought brutally aware of warfare in the 21st century, by the acts in New York, Washington, and at least one other location, today. It is not warfare of "Hi-Tech," or armed soldiers against other soldiers, but one of dirty cheap acts by faceless hate driven groups, against civilian targets. In the aftermath i trust our leadership will first determine the people, who attacked us, and then move to allow them no quarter, no sanctuary, on this planet. Any who would deny us access to them in the pursuit of justice, must be considered as allies of the terrorist, and should be treated as such.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  11:58:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Slater, we've been trying to get through to relatives in the area too. All we're getting is some messages: "due to the tornado in the area, all circuits...."
I hope your daughter is okay.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  12:01:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
quote:

My daughter works in WTC 1.

All the circuits to New York are down.

A friend on another board told how his brother works in WTC. Thankfuly he was late for work today and is ok. Hope your daugher is ok too.

Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  12:20:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
Slater, I sincerely hope your daughter is Ok.

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Skeptic Friend

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  12:21:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kristin's Homepage Send Kristin a Private Message
My hopes are with your daughter, Slater, and all the others touched by this tragedy.

This sort of uncaring destruction makes nationalism and even religious bias take the back seat. This is when everyone should remember that we are all a part of humanity, and this is a travesty against humanity itself.

Reading reports of palestineans in Lebanon shooting off firearms in celebration of this event leaves me cold. Not all of these people can be so evil at heart as to want the death of so many innocents! Can they truly be so brainwashed?

The thought of the required retaliation scares me. What if the group that perpetrated this IS obviously linked to a nation?

Good judgement comes from experience: experience comes from bad judgement.
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  12:29:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
Slater, my thoughts are with you. I sincerly hope she's alright, and that you find out soon.

------------

Hope springs eternal but there's no conviction
Actions mistaken for lip service paid
All this concern is the true contradiction
The world is insane...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.