SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2001 :  19:32:04  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2001 :  18:16:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
When I think about it, the Tailgater Terrorists (who did not study physics, who do not understand what F=ma is all about, and who are driving behind us all each day) are more likely to attempt to kill the rest of us on an hourly basis in heavy traffic than the idiots from Afganistan (who think they will end up in Heaven through their vicious murder/suicides). Tailgaters are a real danger to us all. Their ignorance about force and mass is abysmal. So worry about the tailgater terrorists who are continuously very destructive to us Americans, and the United States Armed Forces will try to take care of the foreign terrorists.

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2001 :  00:17:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
quote:

When I think about it, the Tailgater Terrorists (who did not study physics, who do not understand what F=ma is all about, and who are driving behind us all each day) are more likely to attempt to kill the rest of us on an hourly basis in heavy traffic than the idiots from Afganistan (who think they will end up in Heaven through their vicious murder/suicides). Tailgaters are a real danger to us all. Their ignorance about force and mass is abysmal. So worry about the tailgater terrorists who are continuously very destructive to us Americans, and the United States Armed Forces will try to take care of the foreign terrorists.

ljbrs

An idea: President Bush has vowed to exterminate terrorists wherever they might be found. We should take him at his word and insist that he deploy tanks in hidden spots along major thoroughfares. They can use their laser rangefinders to measure separation between vehicles. When someone gets too close, a 120 mm APDS round through the grill can eliminate the hazard for good, and serve as a decisive deterrent to other would-be road terrorists. Thousands of lives could be saved. He might also want to consider air strikes against SUV factories and the development of a new noise-seeking missile for NBBD (National Boom Box Defense).

Abducting UFOs and conspiring against conspiracy theorists since 1980.

Edited by - piltdown on 10/13/2001 00:19:54
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2001 :  00:21:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
He might also want to consider air strikes against SUV factories and the development of a new noise-seeking missile for NBBD (National Boom Box Defense).

You mean we might be able to actually listen to something besides someone elses music choice. Oh Joy!

Too bad, that decible legislation doesn't really work.

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying." ~Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2001 :  20:24:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
quote:

An idea: President Bush has vowed to exterminate terrorists wherever they might be found. We should take him at his word and insist that he deploy tanks in hidden spots along major thoroughfares. They can use their laser rangefinders to measure separation between vehicles. When someone gets too close, a 120 mm APDS round through the grill can eliminate the hazard for good, and serve as a decisive deterrent to other would-be road terrorists. Thousands of lives could be saved. He might also want to consider air strikes against SUV factories and the development of a new noise-seeking missile for NBBD (National Boom Box Defense).

quote:
You mean we might be able to actually listen to something besides someone elses music choice. Oh Joy!

Boom-box terrorists (and other loud-music listeners) are all going to go deaf and should sign up for courses in American Sign Language while there is still time.

ljbrs

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  10:39:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
I just got back from a little trip to Mesquite, Texas. The night before last, I asked a hotel staff member about how the travel business was going. Pretty dismal. They were totally booked right after 9/11, since there was no air travel. Now, its dead. People just aren't going anywhere.
This is silly.
I, a lone female, just completed a 2400+ road trip with no problems, except there are people on the highways who should not possess drivers' licenses.
You know, I could have cancelled my trip and I don't think my brother would have thought any less of me. No way. I'll let a blizzard lock me in my house, not some rag-head half a world away.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Skeptic Friend

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  10:53:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kristin's Homepage Send Kristin a Private Message
Just a note, apparantly prices for vacations in Cancun, Mexico are rock bottom ATM.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TRAVEL/NEWS/10/15/rec.mexico.tourism.ap/index.html

MMmmmmm sunshine.

Good judgement comes from experience: experience comes from bad judgement.
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  11:18:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
quote:
I just got back from a little trip to Mesquite, Texas. The night before last, I asked a hotel staff member about how the travel business was going. Pretty dismal. They were totally booked right after 9/11, since there was no air travel. Now, its dead. People just aren't going anywhere.

I'd really like to help out the travel industry, Lisa, but just what the hell is in Mesquite, Texas, anyway?
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  12:00:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

I'd really like to help out the travel industry, Lisa, but just what the hell is in Mesquite, Texas, anyway?

Kind of a story here. My Dad has a son by a first marriage. I hadn't seen him for 33 years. My mom discouraged any contact because she thought it would take away from the "love" in our family. (Hey, I don't know what her problem was. If you want to talk about unreasonable women, go talk to Snake)
Anyway, mom is gone, and I encouraged Dad to get in contact with Danny. One of life's decisions that has turned out to be the best. I was welcomed with open arms. Turns out my half brother and I have a lot in common. (very eerie) I had a great time visiting them. His wife is a lovely, funny woman. My two nieces, IMHO, are two of the most beautiful young women in the world.
I had planned on driving instead of flying long before the events of 9/11. When we travel, Ed always does all the driving, and I just wanted to do this for myself. I went through South Dakota, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, and Texas. Everyone I met was warm, open, and friendly.
I will not cower in my house because of some sick ideas of some soft-brained radical. When Ed gets back from Qatar, we're either going back to Texas, or perhaps a vacation in the Dominica Republic.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  12:24:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
Don't know about anybody else, but I haven't changed my lifestyle very much since 9/11. I have taken one trip (by air), which is about my annual average. I did postpone that trip by two weeks (it was originally to start on 9/14).

I suppose there are some who have cancelled or postponed recreational travel. It's hard to know how much of this is due to fear of flying, how much to simply wanting to stay close to home in uncertain times, and how much due to the shaky economic situation (which was well on the way to recession long before 9/11).

I can say this: I had a nightmarish time getting through the airports (possibly because I had very early AM flights, and there just wasn't enough time between opening and boarding to get through the lines). The new measures are certainly having an effect on the public, whether or not they have significantly improved security (and my experience suggests that this is questionable).

This leaves the airlines in a lose-lose situation. If they keep security this tight (or tighter), many people who fly for pleasure (rather than business) will choose to stay home or switch plans to more local destinations that can be reached by car. Fewer flyers means less money available to improve security and the screening process. On the other hand, to relax security is suicidal (and illegal).

What's a poor air carrier to do?

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2001 :  10:32:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Don't know about anybody else, but I haven't changed my lifestyle very much since 9/11.
I and 4 of my friends just got back from Washington, DC. We flew into Reagan Airport, but had to fly out of Dulles because it's about $500 cheaper. Of course, we were joking about Antrax, bet we still decided not to visit any historical sites, and keep the trip entirely business (and bar-hopping). The planes both directions were completely full, though, so there must not have been too much of an impact, eh?

The security out of Dulles was similar to what one would expect of an international flight, our carry-ons were scanned and individually searched, and if you set off the metal detector you are in for a 10-minute wand scan. These guys were trying not to take any chances.

There were even plastic knives with dinner, but they kept the metal forks and spoons.

-me.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2001 :  15:46:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
I went through South Dakota, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, and Texas. Everyone I met was warm, open, and friendly.

And you didn't stop to say hello? (I'm in Colorado.)

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying." ~Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2001 :  16:19:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

And you didn't stop to say hello? (I'm in Colorado.)

Trish, you're going to laugh, I almost did. I was on Rt. 385 in Colorado, and I saw a sign "Denver - 182 miles". I even slowed down, contemplating a left turn.
But, since I don't have your address or phone number, I'd have felt pretty silly if I got to Denver and found out you weren't in the phone book.
My decision to take that route home was sort of spur of the moment. If I had engaged a few brain cells, I could have dropped you a line before I left Texas.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2001 :  17:09:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Trish, you're going to laugh, I almost did. I was on Rt. 385 in Colorado, and I saw a sign "Denver - 182 miles". I even slowed down, contemplating a left turn.
But, since I don't have your address or phone number, I'd have felt pretty silly if I got to Denver and found out you weren't in the phone book.
My decision to take that route home was sort of spur of the moment. If I had engaged a few brain cells, I could have dropped you a line before I left Texas.
Lisa

Hmm, well drop a line then. You drove through Burlington. You couldn't see the Rockies from there could you?

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2001 :  19:58:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
All I was wanting to see was the inside of my eyelids. I had spent my morning fighting the wind as I drove across Kansas. Jeep Wranglers are not what you'd call aerodynamic.
Ah well. I'll probably make the trip again when Ed gets back, whenever that is.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2001 :  17:37:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
That is just great. I myself have gone back to my usual schedule (never stopped). New York City is going to bounce back in full. It is my favorite place to visit and to live. I seldom visit New York City, because each time I have returned there, I have wanted to stay forever. That makes coming back home dreary. When I lived there (ballet dancer), I had a ball. One never forgets.

I have bought some more recent maps of NYC. They bring back the wonderful memories...

ljbrs

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.