Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  17:53:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

Other than you not agreeing with this person let us talk more of this energy he describes. Do we have the ability to affect peoples wills without speaking? Using just our minds? The force be with you Luke? Very interestisng Grasshopper?
If energy is too small to see {ricky} then it must have a size? Even if it is a small tiny size.{filthy}
One thing I never said was that I was for or against this sight. I am just surfing doing research.
No pond Water for me...

I admit that what I know about quantum physics will fit in a hollow tooth with room to rattle around, but why does energy have to have a size?

Some energy does indeed have a size, of sorts. When I bolt a cylinder head to my motorcycle engine, I do it to a certain number of foot-pounds, torque. But the energy you are speaking of is not measureable with a torque wrench nor any other means that I am aware of.

I think that you have unknowingly scratched the surface of a vast field of study that litterly boggles the mind. What measure can be used for the energy of a star? It's huge, but how huge? Or, relitive to the rest of the universe, how tiny?

I think the site you put up is little more than an informertial for another nonsense book. If you have further information on it, please elaborate.

Pond water ain't all that bad. Often it has some very interesting flavors as well as some meat in it. The down side is that it tends to clean out the intestinal tract, excessivly. And now and then, it will mess with your head.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  18:47:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Pond water ain't all that bad. Often it has some very interesting flavors as well as some meat in it. The down side is that it tends to clean out the intestinal tract, excessivly. And now and then, it will mess with your head.

We spent a few bio periods looking to see what we could find in pond water. Trust me, don't listen to filthy .

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  22:09:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
We spent a few bio periods looking to see what we could find in pond water. Trust me, don't listen to filthy .

Damn straight! Pond water was enough to keep us peering through microscopes for a few weeks back in high school bio.

Oh, and Filthy- pound-feet of torque are definitely not the same thing as foot-pounds of energy. It's the damned Imperial measurement scheme- makes it hard to keep track of whether a unit is for weight, mass, force, energy or doughnuts.

Best to go SI. It's much less confusing.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  22:42:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
No pond Water for me...

The fact that you can't see that site as the nonsense it is indicates something about you. I was just being polite by suggesting that your inability to think critically about claims made has an external source (i.e. pond water).

If you want to "do some surfing and research" then I reccoment you go to google and type in CRITICAL THINKING. You won't regret it.

But I know you won't.... so I'll link a couple of very educational sites here for you.

Click this one first. On the LEFT side of the page there is a hypertext link labeled Critical Thinking. Please click and study.
http://skepdic.com/

On this next one, click the "About Crititcal Thinking" tab.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/

Then, learn more about fallacious reasoning.
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/

http://www.cuyamaca.net/bruce.thompson/Fallacies/index.asp

And then on to some research about Scientific Thinking.
(I just found this little article today, oddly I have never noticed it before when doing a google search for "scientific thinking", It's a very nice intro to scientific thinking.)
http://www.carleton.ca/~tpatters/teaching/climatechange/sciencemethod.html

And for a nice bit on the basic use of logic:
http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html

Hope that helps you learn a little more about what most people here are talking about when we say stuff like "please support your assertions" or "that is a <insert name here> fallacy".

I doubt that you will bother, but maybe somebody lurking around will learn something that helps them.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  22:44:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Oh, and Filthy- pound-feet of torque are definitely not the same thing as foot-pounds of energy. It's the damned Imperial measurement scheme- makes it hard to keep track of whether a unit is for weight, mass, force, energy or doughnuts.

1 doughnut = 1000 yummies, no?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 12/19/2004 22:45:28
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  00:53:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios

quote:

Damn straight! Pond water was enough to keep us peering through microscopes for a few weeks back in high school bio.

Best to go SI. It's much less confusing.

Like I said, it has some meat in it.

Perhaps, but I might argue that energy was required to wind the head bolts up to the required torque and energy remains because those bolts are going to keep pressure on the head and cylinder, even when the engine is at rest. In short, I am speaking of energy as I think Storm and Whosis that wrote the screed think of it: very loosely. Of course, the energy represented by my torque wrench and the hammer that mangled my thumb is mechanical.

I am too old a dog to learn new tricks. Or too lazy, anyway.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  06:43:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Uhh... Storm, you're doing your research on energy. But you're doing it at the wrong places.

Those guys have no notion of what energy is, whatsoever. They're using poor energy as they use entropy: a catch-all term that's pretty good looking to give an air of credibility. Just like that guy from Synchronized Universe has fuzzy ideas about the Theory of Everything, that doesn't exist (yet).

I won't request you to have a full knowledge of Physics; your degrees probably didn't need it, as mine do, and Physics is that fuzzy ground everybody (at least people I know) hates.

For instance, try NASA's site. They've a great educational center.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 12/20/2004 06:44:34
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  07:20:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
Other than you not agreeing with this person let us talk more of this energy he describes.

??? Ignore that this is bullshit and lets have fun discussing it anyway? I haven't done that since I was stoned and 18 years old. No thanks...
quote:
If energy is too small to see {ricky} then it must have a size?

Nice use of logic there.
When heat (energy) is put into a material the average translational energy of the molecules increases. That is to say the temperature increases. You can't see the energy you can see the effects.
If I take a rock and carry it up a hill and put it down I have raised it's potential energy.
There is no way to discuss this idiots claim that energy is to small to see.

PLEASE, read a physics book, skip the math if you want but for crissake try to understand the basic idea.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  08:12:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Dude:
But I know you won't.... so I'll link a couple of very educational sites here for you.

You might also want to check out our own About Skepticism area. I'm sure Dude just forgot to offer this resource.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  08:24:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

It's all a big advertisement for a $20 "e-book" (which is only 72 pages). None of the quotes appear to be attributed to anyone but "experts" or "researchers." There are no obvious citations of any research.
"The essence of this ‘secret,' according to researchers, relies on the scientific truth that if you were to break down everything you see around you, the net result would be a pure, non-physical energy, which can be directed to create what we desire"...

It's a book on the fucking Qaballa. I'm studying it right now for majickal theory for my religion. These are not really physical manifestations but rather producing change within ourselves to help us manifest the results.

quote:
Obviously, the author uses a different meaning for the word 'energy' than would the average physicist.

The word "energy" in this case refers to metaphysical force. (Read as conceptual force which is actually a theological construct.)

quote:
The guy is "connecting the dots" between physics and spiritualism, but neglecting the fact that the word 'energy' has two different meanings in those fields.

I would call this invalidly comingling.

quote:
A non-physical energy, of course, would have no effect upon the physical world (nor would the world have an effect upon it). The reason E=mc2 is that energy is physical.

Indeed, the author has found the key to wealth: get $20 a pop from suckers on the Web.

Or at least the tinkly newage crap wannna-bes.

quote:

And, oddly, the author calls metaphysicists "metaphysicians," which might make one think they've got something to do with the medical field.

Or a subscriber to the George Dubya Bush school of English.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  20:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Thank you very much, Valiant Dancer. Nice coincidence, eh?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  19:46:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
quote:
[B]I think this quote pretty much sums up the entire site in my point of view:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(energy obviously being to small to actually see)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, just can't stop laughing.[B]

Stuffiness in the pursuit of accuracy in spelling and grammar can be pretty dull. Remember, there are many people here who write and speak foreign languages. They, too, may have great difficulty with English grammar and spelling. Perhaps we would have great difficulty in speaking and writing in their languages.

Remember, the name of this site happens to be "SKEPTIC FRIENDS". There should be much emphasis here on the word "FRIENDS".

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  20:03:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ljbrs

Stuffiness in the pursuit of accuracy in spelling and grammar can be pretty dull. Remember, there are many people here who write and speak foreign languages. They, too, may have great difficulty with English grammar and spelling. Perhaps we would have great difficulty in speaking and writing in their languages.
I'm curious as to how you decided that Ricky was laughing his head off over a single missing O, instead of the painfully obvious lapse in scientific knowledge which accompanies the idea that energy is invisible because it is very tiny.
[Edited to trim quoted section a bit - Dave W.]

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  23:44:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
There is a missing O?

Edit:

Nevermind, I found it.

- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/05/2005 23:44:44
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:56:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Nevermind, I found it.
Well... Put it back!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.