Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 Duh, Now why didnt the Kremlin think of this?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  09:09:27  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
http://www.nypost.com/gossip/38372.htm

Madonna uses kabbala chants and rituals to clense Chernobyl.

Man what a money saver, if only she would have done so from inside the facility.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  09:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
I don't mind this so much:
quote:
They thought they were curing Chernobyl of radiation, using the power of Kabbalah to drive away the evil.

That's just silly.
But this:
quote:
Donnelly, a recovering cancer patient, says he was charged $1,500 for the dinner with Madonna and her husband, some "healing water" and several Aramaic texts — the Zohar — he was unable to read. He was told that just running his hands over the text and drinking the water could cure his cancer.

And this:
quote:
He also had a session with Rabbi Eliyahu Yardeni, who told him, "Just to tell you another thing about the 6 million Jews that were killed in the Holocaust. The question was that the Light was blocked. They didn't use Kabbalah." Donnelly wrote in the London Telegraph, "It sounded as though he was blaming the Holocaust on its victims . . .

That's more than enough to really piss me off.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  15:24:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy
But this:
quote:
Donnelly, a recovering cancer patient, says he was charged $1,500 for the dinner with Madonna and her husband, some "healing water" and several Aramaic texts — the Zohar — he was unable to read. He was told that just running his hands over the text and drinking the water could cure his cancer.

Isn't this practicing medicine without a licence?
Go to Top of Page

Isaiah
Skeptic Friend

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  15:44:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Isaiah's Homepage Send Isaiah a Private Message
Much more complete article than the NY Post (surprise)... no less silly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2005/01/10/ftkab10.xml&sSheet=/arts/2005/01/10/ixartright.html

For Real Things I Know - http://solomonj.blogspot.com

"My point is, that you cannot use lack of evidence for one possibility as proof for another." - Dude

“I would rather delude myself with comforting fantasies than face a cold reality” - Isaiah, altered from astropin
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  18:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Kabbalah followers also include Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Demi Moore.

All the intellectual giants of our time seem to be on the Kabbalah bandwagon. There must be something in it.

quote:
Donnelly, a recovering cancer patient, says he was charged $1,500 for the dinner with Madonna and her husband, some "healing water" and several Aramaic texts — the Zohar — he was unable to read.

Like 1500 clams for some gifelte fish and mumbo jumbo. I don't know what's more amazing, that someone has the balls to charge for this nonsense, or that someone else is stupid enough to pay for it.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  05:30:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I used to like Madonna... now I'm not so certain.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

geni

21 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  11:57:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit geni's Homepage Send geni a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss
Isn't this practicing medicine without a licence?

No because they will have been careful not to make any theraputic claim (so they might say that it will make your body more effective at fighting cancer). One of the few things alt med is good at is finding loopholes in the law.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.