New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

ooh_child

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  12:25:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ooh_child a Private Message
I get mine from the song, covered by many, but my favorite version is by Valerie Carter:

Ooh-oo child
Things are gonna get easier
Ooh-oo child
Things'll get brighter
Ooh-oo child
Ooh-oo child
Things'll get brighter
Some day, yeah
We'll get it together and we'll get it all done
Some day
When your head is much lighter
Some day, yeah
We'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun
Some day
When the world is much brighter
Ooh-oo child
Things are gonna be easier
Ooh-oo child
Things'll get be brighter
Ooh-oo child
Things are gonna be easier
Ooh-oo child
Things'll get be brighter
Some day, yeah
Some day
Some day, yeah
Some day
Some day, yeah
Some day
Some day, yeah
Some day
Ooh-oo child
Ooh-oo child
Things'll get brighter
Ooh-oo child
Ooh-oo child
Things'll get brighter
Right now, right now
Go to Top of Page

Giltwist
Skeptic Friend

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  16:56:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Giltwist's Homepage  Send Giltwist an AOL message  Send Giltwist an ICQ Message  Send Giltwist a Yahoo! Message Send Giltwist a Private Message
My surname is Argyle. In middle school I had a rather spastic frind who would shorten that to just Gil. One day, I offended his sensibilities more than usual and he just sorta choked out "Gil...twist!" I thought to myself, "I bet nobody uses THAT as a username" and the rest is history.

Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  17:07:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
GeeMack... Greg McNeil
Go to Top of Page

AKM

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  17:24:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AKM a Private Message
AKM is my initials. It matches what the tags on the back of my undies say.

"Leadership is not magnetic personality—that can just as well be a glib tongue. It is not "making friends and influencing people"—that is flattery. Leadership is lifting a person's vision to higher sights, the raising of a person's performance to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations." Peter F. Drucker

"If we could sell our experiences for what they cost us, we'd all be millionaires." Abigail Van Buren
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  18:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
moakley is an obvious, yet predictable, combination of my first initial and last name.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  17:27:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
quote:
Posted - 04/08/2005 : 18:05:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My user name - "LJBRS" consists of my legal initials (all five being displayed on my most recent Marriage Certificate).

ljbrs

I just realized that the above post of mine sounded as if I were in the habit of multiple marrying. I am a widow twice - both were wonderful men and I miss both of them very, very much! I want to make it clear that I have never been in the business of either serial marriage or group marriage.

Wonderful guys, both!

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  17:33:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ljbrs
I just realized that the above post of mine sounded as if I were in the habit of multiple marrying. I am a widow twice - both were wonderful men and I miss both of them very, very much! I want to make it clear that I have never been in the business of either serial marriage or group marriage.

Wonderful guys, both!

ljbrs

A Black Widow, huh?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  16:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
My handle's pretty dull compared to many of yours, but someone's got to fill the middle of the bell curve right?

John's my first name, and OAS is an acronym of my business name. I started using JohnOAS in technical (mostly software development) sites/forums as it was fairly generic and hasn't been taken by anyone else anywhere I've tried it thus far.

In my youth, on BBS's and such, (in the pre internet age), I used to use various flavours of "Zaph" (after the famous Beeblebrox character in Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's series of course) but have found it to be rather popular, and therefore difficult to maintain consistently.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  17:09:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Well , I just realized I never posted here:

pleco is short for plecostomus - the common algae eater fish found in freshwater aquariums. That is one of my favorite hobbies (having aquariums)

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/compleco.htm

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 01/19/2006 17:10:15
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  18:07:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
this is trogdor:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIGHT!!!

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  18:46:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
HalfMooner is simply from the town in northern California where I live, Half Moon Bay. Not a very good handle, IMO. I wanted to post my thread about the "Alberta Indian," and had to figure out a handle quickly.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

UncleJ

41 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  20:51:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UncleJ a Private Message
Here is the dumb story…

UncleJ is short for Uncle Jonny.

This is a nickname given to me by a friend I call Auntie Jenny.

We have been trying to one-up each other for the last 20 years. If she gets the upper hand she claims “Auntie Jenny is the Master”. If I get the upper hand I claim “Uncle Jonny is the Master”.

The exact reasoning behind the nickname is lost in some dusty and cobwebbed corner of my mind. I could ask Auntie Jenny if she remembers but then she would be able to claim status as “Master” so that's not going to happen.

Now that I think of it, 20 years ago coincides with a fair amount of mind-altering substances so that is may be all the explanation needed.

"The Church says the Earth is flat. But I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the Moon. And I have more faith in a shadow than in the Church." - F. Magellan

"I can't be a missionary! I don't even believe in Jebus!" - H. Simpson
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  22:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
marfknox is pretty obvious (my name is Martha Knox). Some of my friends started calling me "Marf", and I liked that.

My username on Live Journal is janeorben, which is just an alias I made up when I was ten years old.

I find it funny that Gorgo is a dude 'cause Gorgo is a famous Spartan women. http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/7849/spwomen.html I've actually been planning to name a cat that some day. Just haven't yet found the one that looks like a Gorgo. (Somewhat related - my cat Aubrey is male - named after the illustrator Aubrey Beardsley - and yet I've met 3 Aubreys in real life, and they were all chicks.)

My beloved car's name is Vonn after Kurt Vonnegut. Bluebeard is my all time favorite novel.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  22:17:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
I used my real name when I found the website, thought about changing to something more colorful, but never bothered since I use it for my email etc. anyway.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  02:22:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

K, here we go...

I'm a mad roleplayer since I was 12. Being fond of horses, I roleplayed, well, horses (still do) in online, play-by-post games, those that make you write obnoxiously long, almost book-like posts. That's how I learned english enough to be writing this post without a dictionary, in first place.

Last year, while chatting with an online buddy, we were trying to come up with a new character, a mare named... Siberia! I'm fond of russian history as well, so that's one of the reasons.

How cool! Like your story. We have some little bit in common.
My father was born in Russia. I've always loved horses too. He used to take us to the race track as well. Then when I got older and could bet on the 'ponies' myself I'd go to the track by myself. Besides also riding horses when I was a kid I used to practice being one too. Loved to run free and race in the wind.
The best race horse in the world was named Native Diver, a big black gelding. Black is not a common color (for race horses) but I love it. When he died he was buried in the court yard of Hollywood Park race track.
What color (horse) are you?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.