Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  15:27:37  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Would someone please be kind enough to explain to me exactly whaddafuck this 'War on Christmas' is.

The only thing I precieve that is different is a lot farting in the windstorm by cretins, clueless as they are stupid, with an agenda. I think that this 'war' was concieved solely by the Thomas Road Baptist Blatherskite and seized upon by a few equally noisey and even more ignorant, fellow travelers.

quote:
In his last televised Sunday sermon before Christmas, Moral Majority founder and Faith and Values Coalition national chairman Reverend Jerry Falwell announced, "we are winning the Christmas war" and thanked God for the "few conservatives" in the media.

In his December 19 sermon, Falwell continued to forward the right-wing claim that "secularists" are waging a war on Christmas; Media Matters for America has documented this claim here, here, here, and here. Falwell asserted that "the American Civil Liberties Union, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, and other secularists" "hate Christ" and want to "steal Christmas from America." He went on to state: "Imagine God raising up an army of attorneys. ... We have declared war on the left, and we're going to sue the hide off of everybody, everybody, who tries to inhibit the liberties of our children and our families from worshipping and honoring the Lord."

Maybe he's been choking his chicken too much, if he can find it. I dunno.

Or maybe it's that he's started a law shchool at his Liberty University and wants to have some ready-made clients for his fledgling, Christian legal-eagles.

Having a law school seems to have made ol' Jerry into such an expert on the federal judicial system that he feels comfortable enough to lie shamelessly about it.
quote:
Moral Majority founder and Faith and Values Coalition national chairman Reverend Jerry Falwell attempted to dismiss the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals as part of "the little noisy, squeaky, left-leaning minority" and as the prime example of "a runaway federal judiciary," falsely claiming that the "23 eggheads out there" on the 9th Circuit "get their rulings overturned almost every time." Also during his televised December 19 sermon, Falwell advocated "doing away" with the 9th Circuit; he was apparently referring to legislation that the U.S. House of Representatives recently passed as an amendment to the Bankruptcy Judgeship Act, which would split the 9th Circuit into three parts.

But according to Supreme Court litigation firm Goldstein & Howe, only four circuit courts had a better reversal record in 2003. As this chart (PDF) details, the 9th Circuit had the fifth-lowest number of reversals among the nation's thirteen circuit courts. Six of the thirteen circuit courts -- including the conservative 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals -- had 100-percent reversal rates.

Having this corpulent pustule for a neighbor would lower your property values even in Faluga. He is a blight upon the American discourse..

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  15:50:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
It's the same with gay rights, err, I mean the "attack on traditional marriage." These assholes are smart enough to realize they just can't come right out and say "our intentions are to cram our beliefs straight down your throat," so they spin, spin, spin until it somehow seems like the christian majority are getting "attacked" in a culture "war" whenever they don't get everything their way.

It makes me sick that so many people never see through the bullshit.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  16:33:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
What H.H. said.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  03:05:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
More Falwell, a brief history from the Daily Rotton's archives:
quote:
His mission? "We must, from the highest office in the land right down to the shoeshine boy in the airport, have a return to Biblical basics."

Falwell's strategy was to create a voting block of Christian conservatives and insinuate them into the Republican party. So he urged fundamentalists and evangelicals to set aside their differences and mobilize under his unifying banner. The Moral Majority's rank-and-file members were expected to vote the way Jerry told them. "Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions," he explained.

The Moral Majority began with fighting the Equal Rights Amendment tooth and nail. In typical Falwell fashion, he went out of his way to antagonize its proponents:

"I listen to feminists and all these radical gals... These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men; that's their problem."

Falwell can go from the despicable to the asinine in less time than it takes to tell it:
quote:
Falwell's revulsion sometimes manifests itself in bizarre, nearly paranoid, ways. In 1999 he published an article in his National Liberty Journal entitled "Tinky Winky Comes Out of the Closet." The piece focused on disturbing clues that one of the characters in the hit children's show Teletubbies was designed to promote the gay lifestyle:

"Now, further evidence that the creators of the series intend for Tinky Winky to be a gay role model have surfaced. He is purple -- the gay-pride color; and his antenna is shaped like a triangle -- the gay-pride symbol."

When the mainstream media ridiculed Falwell for analyzing the sexual politics of a show aimed at pre-schoolers, Jerry responded that he didn't understand how people could miss the subtext. He contended that gay periodicals had been discussing Tinky Winky's sexual orientation for quite some time. Falwell simply couldn't grasp that the gay community's embrace of the character had been tongue-in-cheek.

And then back to the despicable, faster than a speeding pickpocket:
quote:
Perhaps Falwell learned something useful from the HUSTLER verdict. In 1994, he issued a direct mail piece asking financial contributors to "help me produce a national television documentary which will expose shocking new facts about Bill Clinton."

Falwell took the money and cranked out the smear-campaign-in-a-videotape called The Clinton Chronicles: An Investigation into the Alleged Criminal Activities of Bill Clinton. It was unsophisticated conservative agitprop, full of lies and unsubstantiated rumors about both the President and the First Lady.

The producer of the tape, Patrick Matrisciana, later confessed to having posed in the video as an anonymous journalist. The silhouetted figure on the tape told Jerry that President Clinton was killing off whistleblowers who knew too much about his private life. It was a complete fabrication. When the news broke about the complete dishonesty of the tape, in true form Falwell tried to disclaim having any editorial control over the project.

In the long run, it's all about money, and Falwell doesn't care where and how he aquires it:
quote:
In 1994 Falwell quietly accepted $3.5 million from Korean cult messiah Sun Myung Moon as part of a larger deal to bail Liberty University out from under its horrendous debt load. Perhaps Jerry was moved by this staggering generosity. That might be the reason why Falwell publicly urged his friend President Reagan to pardon Moon's tax evasion conviction.

Jerry was widely criticized in the Christian community for lending legitimacy to Moon's organization. Moon had always claimed that he was Jesus Christ's successor and moral superior. It was inconceivable that a fundamentalist Christian like Falwell would regard Moon as anything other than a blasphemer. But, as always, whenever confronted with a choice between money, connections, or the appearance of propriety, propriety came last.

When given stewardship of the PTL Club cash cow while Jim Bakker languished in the federal poogie, Falwell promptly turned on his friend and bankrupted it.

This then, is one of the major, fundementalist leaders. A man so devoid of morals and ethics that he makes even Jim Bakker stand out in the comparison. Look for this idiotic 'Christmas War' to somehow line his pockets and empty the pockets of his followers.

Oh, and the story in Hustler that put the all but Gordian knot in his delicate knickers about him having sex with his mother in a privy is not true.
quote:
FALWELL: I never really expected to make it with Mom, but then after she showed all the other guys in town such a good time, I figured, "What the hell!"
At least, I don't think it's true..... Is it...?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/23/2004 03:11:00
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  08:17:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
To truely understand this "problem" one must first shove one's head up the aft end of ones own GI tract to the duodenum.

Falwell and the rest of the "Moral Majority" (which is neither) claim that the declining references to "Merry Christmas" is due to a concerted effort by "Anti-Christian" elements and not the changing of American demographics and the need for businesses to appeal to all consumers.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  08:33:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
Falwell and the rest of the "Moral Majority" (which is neither) claim that the declining references to "Merry Christmas" is due to a concerted effort by "Anti-Christian" elements and not the changing of American demographics and the need for businesses to appeal to all consumers.

That this is actually news makes my brain hurt. I saw this story on CNN twice yesterday. If someone is offended by another person's good wishes, whether it be "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hanukkah", "Kewl Kwanza", or "Have a Rad Ramadan" then I say fuck 'em.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Edited by - Wendy on 12/23/2004 08:59:23
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  08:34:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This is true, Val. It seems I hear whining about 'Christian persicution' a lot, when it looks to me like quite the contrary is the case. Falwell, Robertson, Bauer, et al, are very vocal on the subject. You'd think that secular humanists were determined to rape them all, right down to the family goldfish.

Oddly, or perhaps not so oddly, the average Christian doesn't see it nor really much care about it. Not all Christians, even fundies, are fascist meglomaniacs. Only the most visible ones. The ugly ones.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  08:46:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Every time I have hope for the human race, someone like him shows up and I am back in the dumps again.

While his personal believes and actions are scary in of themselves, what freezes my blood is the fact that he has power to carry them out on millons of people.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  09:20:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
It's shitbirds like Falwell that almost make me wish there really was such a place as hell, so he could spend eternity on the universe's barbecue grill with a pitchfork up his ass.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  09:48:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
My Evangelical friend says Falwell is going to hell... Aparntly he does not speak for all of the RR.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  10:17:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

My Evangelical friend says Falwell is going to hell...

I'm glad to hear it, but I always wonder how they know.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  12:53:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Wendy wrote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kil

My Evangelical friend says Falwell is going to hell...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad to hear it, but I always wonder how they know.

They must be secretly in league with Mephistopheles!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  18:43:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Even if we wanted to steal Christmas (which we don't; I love Christmas), how the hell could we?

Banning a nativity scene on public property (or saying "Happy Holidays") has zero effect on someone's true faith. If you truly love Jesus, ain't nobody or nothin' going to come between you and da Lord--or else you don't love Him enough, IMO.

I have no obligation to respect anyone's religious beliefs; only to respect the practice of those beliefs (within the confines of the law.) Respect is sometimes granted by generous people but respect is generally earned--it's not an entitlement.

Cripes...how unChristian to be so whiney. Toughen up, Mr. Falwell. You're a rich white guy in a suit...you're not oppressed.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2004 :  02:40:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Are Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson terrorists on a par with Osama bin Laden, as some theorists would have it? Take the quotation quiz and find out.

I scored 50%, 10 out of 20, which probably means that I can't tell the difference.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2004 :  23:34:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
It is a bit ironic that the Falwells of the world don't see their attacks against gay marriage, pro choice and everything else in the same light as they see others' desires to remove religious symbols from government places.

Clearly Falwell thinks it is OK to make Christian beliefs into laws. That includes making all Christian holidays legal holidays officially sanctioned by the state.

Pat Robertson made it clear on his program the other day how disgusted he was with Kwanzaa.

The idea these guys are bigots just doesn't occur to them.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  02:07:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

It is a bit ironic that the Falwells of the world don't see their attacks against gay marriage, pro choice and everything else in the same light as they see others' desires to remove religious symbols from government places.

Clearly Falwell thinks it is OK to make Christian beliefs into laws. That includes making all Christian holidays legal holidays officially sanctioned by the state.

Pat Robertson made it clear on his program the other day how disgusted he was with Kwanzaa.

The idea these guys are bigots just doesn't occur to them.

I think that we should send Pat a card with the following Mark Twain quote:

"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way."

Or might that be too deep for him?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.