Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  15:21:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Questions of morality just begs more questions.
What is Moral and who defines it?

According to many christians, their god defines morality. And, apparently, those of us who don't believe in their god are not capable of being moral.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  03:08:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
I'm an atheist because I do not believe in any god.

Not because I reject the idea of gods, not because I deny that gods might exist.
Until I get a good reason to believe in some deity I will remain an atheist.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  03:24:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Atheist - without belief in the existence of gods. Where's the confusion? It's pretty straight forward.

I find it mind boggling any educated person believes in gods in this day and age. People manage to see Zeus and Pele as myths but then somehow think their particular belief differs. It doesn't matter if it is Zeus or Jesus, it's just superstition and myth.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  04:30:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Well I for one am eagerly awiting the holiest day of the year, Super Bowl Sunday. Followed in a couple months by the month long brotherhood festival called the NCAA tournament.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  07:32:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Well I for one am eagerly awiting the holiest day of the year, Super Bowl Sunday. Followed in a couple months by the month long brotherhood festival called the NCAA tournament.

I too, am waiting for Superbowl Sunday. If you watch the game with the sound muted, you can actually enjoy it.

I wonder if church would work the same way....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  07:32:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I believe that "weak atheism" is what Thomas Huxley was referring to when coining the term 'agnostic', and that someone else (I forget who) suggested that it is the only position regarding god(s) which is logically defensible.
Fortunately, belief is not necessary, since Huxley made quite clear what he meant by the term:
quote:
Agnosticism is not a creed but a method, the essence of which lies in the vigorous application of a single principle ...Positively the principle may be expressed as in matters of intellect, do not pretend conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable.

Agnosticism, 1889

Huxley was addressing, not ontology, but epistemology. Since it is quite possible to believe in a supernatural that is "not demonstrated or demonstrable" (as in deism, fideism, taoism, etc.) there is no basis for viewing Huxley's 'method' as a form of atheism.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Edited by - ConsequentAtheist on 01/04/2005 07:33:58
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  10:47:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
ConsequentAtheist:
Huxley was addressing, not ontology, but epistemology. Since it is quite possible to believe in a supernatural that is "not demonstrated or demonstrable" (as in deism, fideism, taoism, etc.) there is no basis for viewing Huxley's 'method' as a form of atheism.

However, being agnostic is one way to explain why I also happen to be an athieist. Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive, in my view.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  13:01:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

However, being agnostic is one way to explain why I also happen to be an athieist. Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive, in my view.
I completely agree.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  13:45:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Apparently, ConsequentAtheist, I don't read Huxley's unelided writing as you do:
Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle. That principle is of great antiquity; it is as old as Socrates; as old as the writer who said, "Try all things, hold fast by that which is good"; it is the foundation of the Reformation, which simply illustrated the axiom that every man should be able to give a reason for the faith that is in him, it is the great principle of Descartes; it is the fundamental axiom of modern science. Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect, do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable. That I take to be the agnostic faith, which if a man keep whole and undefiled, he shall not be ashamed to look the universe in the face, whatever the future may have in store for him.

Secular Web Library
It seems to me that faith is an act beyond reason. It is a claiming of certainty about that which is "not demonstrated nor demonstrable." In other words, while it's quite possible to be an atheist without being an agnostic, it doesn't seem possible to me that a "true agnostic" could be a theist.

Not only that, but Huxley frames his coining the term in response to ontological concerns:
When I reached intellectual maturity, and began to ask myself whether I was an atheist, a theist, or a pantheist; a materialist or an idealist; a Christian or a freethinker, I found that the more I learned and reflected, the less ready was the answer; until at last I came to the conclusion that I had neither art nor part with any of these denominations, except the last. The one thing in which most of these good people were agreed was the one thing in which I differed from them. They were quite sure that they had attained a certain "gnosis" -- had more or less successfully solved the problem of existence; while I was quite sure I had not, and had a pretty strong conviction that the problem was insoluble.

Atheism Web
Emphasis mine.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  14:49:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:

Apparently, ConsequentAtheist, I don't read Huxley's unelided writing as you do:
Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle. That principle is of great antiquity; it is as old as Socrates; as old as the writer who said, "Try all things, hold fast by that which is good"; it is the foundation of the Reformation, which simply illustrated the axiom that every man should be able to give a reason for the faith that is in him, it is the great principle of Descartes; it is the fundamental axiom of modern science. Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect, do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable. That I take to be the agnostic faith, which if a man keep whole and undefiled, he shall not be ashamed to look the universe in the face, whatever the future may have in store for him.

Secular Web Library

OK

quote:

It seems to me that faith is an act beyond reason. It is a claiming of certainty about that which is "not demonstrated nor demonstrable."
I disagree. Faith is not an act of certitude but one of trust.

quote:

In other words, while it's quite possible to be an atheist without being an agnostic, it doesn't seem possible to me that a "true agnostic" could be a theist.
It is certainly possible to be an agnostic without being an atheist - though I would assert that it's an untenable position.

As for the rest, I don't know about "true agnostic", but I can easily envisage a person who sees the beauty and complexity of nature and deeply feels it to be puposeful and created, while acknowledging that such a position cannot be proven. Again, I offer the fideist, the deist, and the taoist as exemples of agnostic theists. People such as Martin Gardner and E. O. Wilson might also qualify.

quote:

Not only that, but Huxley frames his coining the term in response to ontological concerns:
When I reached intellectual maturity, and began to ask myself whether I was an atheist, a theist, or a pantheist; a materialist or an idealist; a Christian or a freethinker, I found that the more I learned and reflected, the less ready was the answer; until at last I came to the conclusion that I had neither art nor part with any of these denominations, except the last. The one thing in which most of these good people were agreed was the one thing in which I differed from them. They were quite sure that they had attained a certain "gnosis" -- had more or less successfully solved the problem of existence; while I was quite sure I had not, and had a pretty strong conviction that the problem was insoluble.

Atheism Web
Emphasis mine.
I do not know what you intend by stating that "Huxley frames his coining the term in response to ontological concerns." In a very real sense, all epistemology is "coined in response to ontology". Nevertheless, in my opinion Huxley was addressing what is known or knowable, not what exists or is believed to exist.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  22:54:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist

I disagree. Faith is not an act of certitude but one of trust.
I think you are giving the faithful (at least most of the ones we meet here, and 99% of those I meet in day-to-day) far too much credit. They either know that God exists, or haven't questioned it. And nearly all of them act upon their belief in God with certitude.
quote:
It is certainly possible to be an agnostic without being an atheist - though I would assert that it's an untenable position.

As for the rest, I don't know about "true agnostic"...
What's not to know? Huxley defines "true agnostic" in the very next paragraph.
quote:
...but I can easily envisage a person who sees the beauty and complexity of nature and deeply feels it to be puposeful and created, while acknowledging that such a position cannot be proven. Again, I offer the fideist, the deist, and the taoist as exemples of agnostic theists.
Deep feelings, per Huxley's definition of agnostic, are not to be considered during the intellectual exercise of the teleogy and creation (or lack thereof) of nature. The groups you mention are simply theists.
quote:
People such as Martin Gardner and E. O. Wilson might also qualify.
I know nothing of either's thoughts on the existence of deities.
quote:
I do not know what you intend by stating that "Huxley frames his coining the term in response to ontological concerns." In a very real sense, all epistemology is "coined in response to ontology". Nevertheless, in my opinion Huxley was addressing what is known or knowable, not what exists or is believed to exist.
Huxley clearly states that his position is contrary to his fellow's self-assurance that they'd "solved the problem of existence." The context of the word's origin (questions regarding deeply-held belief systems) is not one of knowledge, nor of what exists or is believed to exist, but instead of how (and why) we came to exist. At the core, Huxley says that "agnostic" is an answer to the question of creation itself.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds.