New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  00:11:07  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
to criticisms of their reactions to stuff like the tsunami in South East Asia: What do we tell the world when they ask "Why would God allow something like this?"

We're not the only website who's pissed at them.

If you really want to get sick...read the second post
quote:
Well put....

Rick Warren gave Larry King an excellent explanation a few weeks ago...and I believe that we would be flat on our faces if we knew the grace that we have all been given.

I've been reporting MAJOR earthquakes for years and I keep noting how NONE of them are in populated areas...day after day after day I note that there is another earthquake and hardly anyone even notices anymore.

I think that everyone is so complacent that no one notices when God taps them on the shoulder any more...and now that God has tapped some on the shoulder with inevitable earth movements, everyone is screaming how much mercy they are due...

We are here by the grace of God and have no rights to a perfect life. We have escaped so many tragedies that we have led ourselves to believe that nothing will ever happen to us...the good Lord has been warning us over and over again...besides, what about the miracle of the millions who DID not die when their island moved 100 feet?
Guess which http://www.rr-bb.com/showthread.php?p=2203557#post2203557"sodding genius[/url] came up with that?

This is nuts. Does anyone here think that this sounds like the "abused child sydrome" or something? No matter how shitty you're treated, the kid is thankful that he didn't get it worse?

If so, what kind of thinking leads to this??

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 01/01/2005 00:59:22

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  03:20:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
quote:
Agreeing with you...many may be Hindu/Muslim/Buddhist...praying that missionaries armed with the Word of God are in these areas with medical aid, food, clothing, clean water and just helping the people there! Does anyone know a Christian Relief organization which teaches the gospel as well as help with emergency needs? I'd like to give to them if you do. Please share with all of us.

I love how they see the opportunity to convert as well.....sickos

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  03:26:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

This little fact is so interesting to me....the western coast must have lost 200 feet for the middle of the island to be moved over by 100 feet...or is it that the island actually moved that much??? Wow! God is so good, <that he is moving mountains to get their attention> and <all those millions of remaining> people still alive should be flat on their faces that they are still alive after a miracle like this!!!...
Miracle?? These halfwits think it was a fucking miracle?!!

Small wonder then that they are so callused toward the misfortune of others. If the shoe should be in the other foot, would they thank God for their disease and starvation, and their missing children?

Isn't there a story in the Bible about some feller, a Samaritan feller as I recall, who took pity upon another traveler from another place and helped him out? Yes, yes, I seem to recall that there is....

For shame!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  07:12:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
One of the 3,562 problems I have with Christianity is the apparent lack of understanding among many Christians of the simple universal truth: Shit happens.

Not everything happens "for a reason". Sometimes it just HAPPENS, fercryinoutloud. We don't always get what we deserve and sometimes we don't deserve what we get.

Babies get AIDS. Bad people win the lottery. Good people die young and tragically.

If God exists, then it's clear he cannot control the shifting of the earth's plates. I refuse to believe ANY God could be so careless or vindictive.

Earthquakes are random and in this case, profoundly tragic.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  10:52:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Who says he can't control it
Merciful sometimes...
Just like a parent....
Remember the Greek Myths ...
How they sat around in Olympias governing man's actions...
But also allowing man to make choices....
Do not forget we are made in God's image...
So maybe he has a vindictive side a cruel side...
Just like us humans....
But then again look at the help that has poured in....
the compassion...
is this not his image also....
Or our Own...
or both....
one in the same...
Or non existent at alll
God=Human Human=God
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  12:27:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
How very New Age thinking, Storm.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  12:55:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
It is time for a New Age ...
The Age of Enlightenment....
The Age of Reason...
The Age of Science....
The Age of.....
We must continue to evolve ....
Not to stagnate...
Not to become a true believer...
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  13:17:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

Who says he can't control it
Merciful sometimes...
Just like a parent....
Remember the Greek Myths ...
How they sat around in Olympias governing man's actions...
But also allowing man to make choices....
Do not forget we are made in God's image...
So maybe he has a vindictive side a cruel side...
Just like us humans....
But then again look at the help that has poured in....
the compassion...
is this not his image also....
Or our Own...
or both....
one in the same...
Or non existent at alll
God=Human Human=God

For all I know about greek mythology, the gods in the Olympus didn't give a shit about us, though it was quite normal for gods to come down f- with mortals... remember, it was not a god who gave us fire to survive... and we weren't created as their image in greek myth...

All in all, I keep thinking back to Heinlein.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  19:42:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
The RR crowd are, literally, insane. They should all be institutionalized for their own safety.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  20:37:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
The Age of Reason...
The Age of Science....
The Age of.....
Not to stagnate...

The age of the ellipsis...

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  21:26:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
It was weird reading through that page. All I saw was a bunch of people trying to make excuses for their god so that their faith wouldn't seem so hollow. Nowhere was there a mention about how god kills the good and the wicked. But they chose all these quotes about God punishing the wicked. And somehow they still see this natural disaster as something that points to salvation or that this was a sign or that god works in mysterious way. There was very little agreement. The only common thread was people desperately trying to believe while faced with the fact that their god must have done something horrible(again).

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  22:19:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
I'm almost lost the desire to point out these obvious things, fellow posters, however, redundance keeps redundance alive. It's better to sit out sort these things out that dwell in our own misery.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  03:26:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

You obviously misuderstood, or purposefully misrepresented what I was trying to convey.

quote:
It's alredy here for most of us (not you though).

quote:
The Age of Reason...
quote:
The Age of Science....

quote:
We are... are you?
quote:
Not to stagnate...
That is the question. Your mind wanders all over the place, but not in a coherent direction toward enlightment.

quote:
But you are. You have a firm belief that if a situation involves an unknown factor, then there must absolutly be a possibility of a supernatural or paranormal explanation.
This is false.

You believe in God of the Gaps, but with supernaturalism/the paranormal as your god.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  04:37:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The 'Age of Enlightnement' term is meaningless. All ages have been of enlightenment, even the 'Dark Ages.'

The same holds for Reason. There has been thought for as long as our species has had that ability.

Unfortunatly, This 'New Age' crap seems to have bogged some people down. They fall into the very stagnation you deride.

There is no New Age. There is only This Age, and it is little different from the Last Age nor any Other Age. We live; we think; we learn; we die. No big deal.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  07:07:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Storm, you missed my point.

Are you asserting that all--ALL--100,000+ people who died were bad people whom God was punishing? (I refuse to use the word "sin" as I don't believe in the concept.) Even the children were bad? Even the *unborn* children, as I'm guessing a pregnant woman is probably among the dead?

Bad things happen to everybody, Storm. To good people, to bad people, and to everybody in between.

Perhaps your God is indeed a vindictive God. But if you claim this earthquake is God's work, then your God must be uniquely vengeful as He is punishing innocents for the wrongdoings of others.

I'm glad I don't see the world that way. The more I read about New Age stuff, the more I hate it.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  08:06:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
If this disaster is the work of some god or other, I hope the bastard got a thumb good and smashed when the plates hit.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.