Hangover remedies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  02:39:34  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
A thread in General Discussions is on the verge of being derailed by hangover-discussions, I'd rather move it here...
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3648&whichpage=4

quote:
Originally posted by filthy
I've read that a major cause of hangover is that alcohol dehydrates the body. I wonder about the tests. I further wonder what the 'active ingredients' are.

Knee-jerk skepticism. Sorry 'bout that.

I bought a nice book named "the hangover handbook". Lot's of interesting reading in it.

It says there are several factors creating the headache/hangover.
One of the things is, when the body breaks down alcohol it does so in two steps. The middle step product is acetaldehyde. In large amounts it's responsible for symptoms like nausea and shivers.
One way to speed up the process is to make sure that as many other contaminants as possible are removed. These include organic acids and aldehydes, but not limited to these. Choose white wine instead of red, vodka instead of whiskey.
(I just know filthy won't like this...)

My favourite cure is a double daily dose of the multi-vitamin/mineral pill and a vitamin C (1000mg) preferably the type that dissolves in water, in combination with aspirin and a Red Bull (aspirin's active substance that I never get right in English, combines with caffeine with synergy I've been told) and finish of with a Gatorade kind of drink, the double-action kind with both sugar and amino-acids.
It loads the body with fresh stuff to use in burning off the bad stuff, including lot's of water. Preferably taken before hitting the bed, so the body gets the chance to absorb the vitamins and water until you wake up.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  15:14:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
If you are drinking enough to get a hangover the solution is not to drink that much!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  16:02:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

If you are drinking enough to get a hangover the solution is not to drink that much!!!

I rearly do, but since it does happen from time to time, it might be nice to be able to reduce the after-effects to a minimum.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  19:19:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
Q. What's a good thing for a hangover?

A. Drinking heavily the night before!!

Seriously, drink a litre of water before you go to bed and all is well the morning after.

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  22:47:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I can't remember the last time I didn't drink too much, but the funny thing is I don't really get hangovers. I don't drink water or anything. The worst I've had is the feeling that my head weighs a little bit more than it should.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  22:58:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
I have always gotten ridiculously sick when I drank (that's when I drank) however oddly enough I seemed to have recovered overnight and awoke the next morning at worst groggy. I couldn't ever remember still feeling drunk.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  00:35:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Is there something that will simply break down alcohol into something safe in the stomach? I have not been able to find one. But then again I don't know what I am looking for.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  05:47:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
There have been some products which were claimed to prevent hangovers. So far, (as far as I'm aware), none of those have been shown to actually work.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  15:13:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

Is there something that will simply break down alcohol into something safe in the stomach?
I don't understand the purpose of doing that.
I mean, we drink alcohole to get intoxicated, havning something in the stomach breaking it down seems counter-productive.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  16:04:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
There are only two proven hangover cures: time, or in really severe cases, death.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  19:35:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'm still working on cures for both time and death, ktesibios, so there's hope yet.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  13:51:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
]I don't understand the purpose of doing that.
I mean, we drink alcohole to get intoxicated, havning something in the stomach breaking it down seems counter-productive.

There are instances when I would like to enjoy a drink with friends but am in no position to get intoxicated. This would also be useful for designated drivers.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  14:11:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad
There are instances when I would like to enjoy a drink with friends but am in no position to get intoxicated. This would also be useful for designated drivers.

Indeed, I would not mind enjoying my pinot without getting intoxicated . However, such a medicin would probably just be a foul-tasting drug, wasting the taste of my wine. Alas, we will have to bear the burdens of intoxication when drinking.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Gezzam is right from my experience -
Drinking copious amounts of water before you go to bed is the best preventative for a hangover.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  14:33:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

Gezzam is right from my experience -
Drinking copious amounts of water before you go to bed is the best preventative for a hangover.

That, and peeing in your bed.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.