New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  04:36:20  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
By any sane standard, '04 hasn't been much of a banner year. We will celebrate tonight with an over-consumption of alcohol, mangled flesh and vehicles, and midnight gunfire. I will participate in none of this. Surly curmudgeon that I am, I'll just be glad to see the bitch gone.

As will others:
quote:
A year to forget
A list of news we wish we could leave behind us

While so many year-end publications focus on what we should remember about the year now grinding to a close, I'd like to continue this column's contrarian tradition of pointing out the things we'd all be better off never having cross our minds again.
Here then is a list of all the things I'd like to forget, circa 2004:

Arianna has her a pretty good list, here.

Even Bill O'Reilly was a huge disappointment, not that there's much out of the ordinary about that:
quote:
What Happened to O'Reilly's Loofa?
By ALEXANDER COCKBURN

Thanksgiving brought us the one-month anniversary of Bill O'Reilly's disclosure on his show that "to protect my family" he had settled with Ms Andrea Mackris and her lawyer Benedict Morelli, thus cutting off what millions of O'Reilly haters had hoped would be a protracted season of public humiliation for Fox's apex bully. The settlement established that all parties agreed there had been no wrong doing and as an earnest of good faith O'Reilly (if you believe the New York Daily News) had paid anywhere from $2 million to $10 million to Mackris, nice money if true, though not as nice as the $60 million Morelli had originally suggested to O'Reilly as a satisfactorily round figure.

But there remains the mystery of the transmuted loofa, about which I had been hoping for some pleasing courtroom exchanges. Let's pick up the thread in the court document lodged in Nassau county, N.J., by Morelli on behalf of Mackris.

Like Mr. Cockburn, I too was hoping for a protracted court battle that would put forth all of the salicious details. Of course, most of it is already known or rumored, on-line at least, but that's not the same as the riot that a trial would be.

Ah well. Happy New Year's anyway, y'all!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  06:41:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Happy New Year!

This ain't a year I'd like to forget, even though the world events made me sad more than once. Then again, what else should we expect from this world?

So today we are gonna eat like pigs (and eat pigs, too), and watch the fireworks from my apartment's window and the tv.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 12/31/2004 06:42:23
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  09:35:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
A Happy New Year indeed.

Although certain events were horrible (Bush... election...) as well as others very tragic, for me personally this was a great year. The combined end of high school / beginning of college, it was a priceless time I don't think I will ever forget.

As for New Years itself, we will eat dinner then sit at a table playing cards all night long (Euker, Hearts, Texas Hold 'Em, you name it we play it). At that point, I will duck out and try to find something more entertaining to do. Quite boring actually, now that I think about it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 12/31/2004 09:40:41
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  10:09:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
University, friends, bonding, SFN... yeah, a pretty good year.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  13:05:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
"Happy" is certainly not a word that I would look for. "Apocryphal," "Revolutionary," these are the words that I would like to say to you all for next year. Unfortunately, "Happy" will have to do due to it's traditional meaning.

And an "Explosive New Year!" to you all.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  14:10:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
And an "Explosive New Year!" to you all.

Erm, for New Year's dinner, we are having a traditional meal: Hog jowl, collards and pinto beans with lots of onions. We'll all be quite explosive not too long afterward.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  19:17:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Happy New Year! I'm going for sushi, a movie and then, who knows....

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Baza

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  19:30:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baza a Private Message
A very happy new year to all I hope! from the UK!

Baza
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  23:12:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Happy and safe New Year to everyone.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  06:46:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Ahh, it's 2005!

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  08:27:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
2004 was good to me personally. I got married January 2 to the love of my life and gained two adorable children in the bargain.

One of my brothers got a good job after almost a year of job-hunting. Another brother got to retire and now spends his days at home annoying his wife.

The election was a blow. We were active in the Kerry campaign and devastated by the thought of four more years of the Bush administration.

The celebration was low key here. Our thoughts were with the tsunami victims. We missed Dick Clark, but still watched the ball come down in Times Square and had child-friendly sparkling grape juice. It was nice. No sooner had we toasted midnight then little eyes were drooping, and little children were sacked out everywhere.

I miss my grandmother today. She made black-eyed peas every New Year's Day and always said the more you eat the more money you'll have in the New Year. I hate the nasty things, but she was a great lady. I feel fortunate to have known so many good people so far in my life. I hope to meet more in 2005.

Happy New Year everyone!

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.