Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  15:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
http://www.tampabayskeptics.org/v15n2rpt.html
Pan down and you will see the Tampa Bay Skeptics review about me...
Wait that sounded weird like a ryhme? Anyway...
This is when I had been doing numerous lectures...
i have slacked for awhile because of my focus on grief counseling...
But I shall return this year hopefully to investigate an old house in Brooksville, fl.
So like my husband says Press is Press baby!!!!
Feel free to comment..
ALthough I can just hear everyone of you in my head write now saying.......

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  16:06:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
All in all, that's a pretty cool name you've got.
As for the rest... well, ain't that exactly what we've been telling you over and over again?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  16:09:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

http://www.tampabayskeptics.org/v15n2rpt.html
Pan down and you will see the Tampa Bay Skeptics review about me...
Wait that sounded weird like a ryhme? Anyway...
This is when I had been doing numerous lectures...
i have slacked for awhile because of my focus on grief counseling...
But I shall return this year hopefully to investigate an old house in Brooksville, fl.
So like my husband says Press is Press baby!!!!
Feel free to comment..
ALthough I can just hear everyone of you in my head write now saying.......

From the article:
quote:

Stone's toolkit for investigators includes a flashlight and extra batteries -- the extra batteries are needed because "an entity can steal energy from batteries." She stated that a compass will be affected by the presence of ghosts. And there are magical ways to dispel ghosts.

Now these are all claims that can be assessed by means of experiments.
The energy-output of a battery can be closely monitored and a compass is even easier to read. Now if only we know the proper magical way to dispel a ghost we could see if this would indeed make the compass perturbation stop (if any occurs in the first place).

Storm, have you ever encountered such phenomena in your investigations? If so, were they ever properly recorded?

I'd love to perform similar studies in my city to check these claims for their merits (Hey, a guy needs hobies).

Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this piece of advice is pricesless', she said. 'Are you listening?'
'Yes' said Tiffany.
'Good now...If you trust in yourself.."
'Yes..?'
'..and believe in your dreams...'
'yes?'
'...and follow your star..' Miss Tick went on.
'Yes?'
'You'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye.'
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  18:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Numerous times I have had equipement malfunction...
i.e. My compass, especially anything with batteries. Camera. emf meter, taperecorder. Somehow the energy getszapped. We went to Cassadega {spiritualist camp here in FLorida} and in one particular area I could not use my flash. I would repeatedly try but could not. Taking batteries out, putting them in..
Once we moved from the area it was fine...
Recordings, measurements, yes I do...
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  19:43:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Sounds like Storm needs to learn how to use technology...

Now Storm, I believe that little magical fairies disrupt technology when you get near them, so this must be evidence for them. Thank you, you have shown fairies to be true.

You can't argue to that, otherwise you would be a hypocrite, because it is the same evidence that you use to support ghosts.

This is just another Argument from Ignorance. You don't know what caused the malfunctions, so ghosts must have done it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/04/2005 19:45:34
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  22:10:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The only part of that article which surprised me in the least was this:
A sophisticated lecturer...
But that may just be because you're not at all comfortable nor patient with written text.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  23:57:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
So what do you think of the reviewer's comments? They are similar to the comments posted by many of TSFs.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  04:33:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Are you so surptised Dave. But you are right. Typing on a keyboard and giving a lecture are two different things...
But yes I am sophisticated.....The comments were expected....
In all actuality I had no idea this gentlemen was coming....
but that's o.k.
Great article
Press is Press....
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  09:29:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I think the phrase "press is press" says it all. You will say or believe any absurd thing if it will allow you to be a celebrity and get your name in the paper. You clearly will never change your mind or accept scientific facts - that would ruin your gig. One piece of advice - learn cold reading - it is very easy to do and all of those people that you delude at your lectures would lap it up. You will get much more press and could even end up on that idiot Larry King's show.

I think you are on the same level as people who eat worms on the show Fear Factor so that they can see themselves to on TV.

I know that is a bit harsh but one of my pet peeves is America's love of famous people. Monika Lewinski and Scott Peterson are celebrities... I find it all very distastefull.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  11:49:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
If my memory serves me right, Storm said she has stopped giving lectures and is no longer going on ghost hunts (for the time being). This directly opposes the idea that she is doing it just for press, as she is still making the claims without the publicity.

So the article said that you were in touch with Abraham Lincoln. Are you still in touch with him now?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/05/2005 11:51:27
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  15:16:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

I think the phrase "press is press" says it all. You will say or believe any absurd thing if it will allow you to be a celebrity and get your name in the paper. You clearly will never change your mind or accept scientific facts - that would ruin your gig. One piece of advice - learn cold reading - it is very easy to do and all of those people that you delude at your lectures would lap it up. You will get much more press and could even end up on that idiot Larry King's show.

Considering she's stated that she works as a grief counsuler (what was it, right?) then her psychology studies will help her go a long way.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  15:39:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Cold reading would indeed, be a valuable tool. If Storm is as good a public speaker as noted, then she must ba able to think fast while on her feet. She could 'read' her audience's body language en mass and modify her presentation to suit them.

One wonders if the most articulate of our polititions aren't skilled in the art.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  17:30:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
In a wierd sort of way (which I don't really understand myself), I have to admire Storm for posting a link to an article that basically calls her out as a gullible chucklehead. I don't think I could do that to myself.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  17:42:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Sounds like Storm needs to learn how to use technology...

Let's be fair. I doubt she doesn't know how to use her own camera. More likely her equipment has failed on her on occasion and those times are stuck in her head more than the times it did work right. She may also not document things as well as she should.

Perhaps Storm, you could post your data and we can nit pick. You were brave enough to post that link :)
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  18:29:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I knew you guys were going to say all of these things. But that is o.k. I am a tuff girl
As far as using a camra well I think I can handle that.
Cold reading...
No never did it...
I never bought into that philosophy...
Now Psycholgy I know about...
And Sociology...
Celebrity is nothing to me..
Scientific proof is what I am really out to prove
even though most of you do not agree...
but that is o.k. I know that I am honest and pretty damm smart
Despite my Press Ghosts have always fasinated me.. I know they exist...
So do many others..
i am not interested in Larry King...
Maybe Discovery... Next year...
Book this year...
I am not in touch with Abraham Lincoln...
I do not have much mediumistic abilities...
Although I am working on that...
It is all natural....
Natural parts of the brain functioning..
I do not think it is anything supernatural...
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  23:53:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Cold reading...
No never did it...
I never bought into that philosophy...

Please tell me how being able to read a persons mind without getting to know them first has any thing to do with philosophy

quote:
Despite my Press Ghosts have always fasinated me.. I know they exist...

So you know that ghosts exist. Do you wish to make other people understand that ghosts exist? If the answer is no, then you can stop reading this. When we ask for evidence, you tell us to go read books and look for ourselves. Would that at all be trying to accomplish the goal of making other people understand that they exist?

The simple answer is no. So if you are trying to make others understand ghosts, then that leads to the conclusion that you aren't trying to make others understand ghosts. The conclusion invalidates the premise.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.