Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 A fer words and phrases we are better of without.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  07:08:07  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And I do so agree! There's been even more linguistic crap than usual since the Republicans took over, it seems.
quote:

DETROIT (AP) - From wardrobe malfunctions to erectile dysfunction, it's been a tough year all around for the guardians of English - language purists from blue, red and battleground states who long to say "You're fired!" to offensive words and phrases.

More than 2,000 nominations arrived in Michigan's far north, where a committee at Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie released its 2005 compilation of language irritants Friday.

Among the 22 expressions on the "List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness" are "blog,""sale event,""body wash" and "zero percent APR financing."

To see the 2005 list and/or submit a pet word of your own, go here.

And to view the entire, useless wasteland of pathetic gibbers, from '92 to today........

Enjoy. It's a great way to kick off the intellectual New Year!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  07:26:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Loved this; thanks, filthy.

I'm glad they included "izzle", which is just annoying.

I also hate "hella" meaning, I guess, "very."
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  08:28:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Every time I hear one of our idiot "managers" tell us what we will do "going forward", I have to restrain myself from asking what other #$*&^# way we could possibly go!

I'd sure like to see that phrase disappear.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  21:01:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
What's funny about 'blog' being nominated for banishment in the 2005 list is that it was a candidate for "word of the year" in 2002.

And then there's the quoted complaint about the phrase "safe and effective." It is an FDA requirement. Sheesh.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  23:54:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I am personally sick of, "that said". It has drifted a bit into, "that being said" and maybe another version or two. The number of times I hear it said, mostly on news interviews or commentaries, is just too many. We know it was said folks, we just listened to you say it.

It is fascinating, though, how certain phrases creep insidiously into everyday speech all over the country in waves. I know the phrase, "that said" was not in everyone's interviews a few years ago. Yet once it began to be used, at some point it began to be used everywhere.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  02:19:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Before we start complaining about phrases, I think we should get people to stop using things and making mistakes like: u, r, nething, b4, "your" when they mean "you're", "of" instead of "have", e.g "I could of done that myself.", "its" and "it's", coz, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:56:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I'm guilty of typing your instead of you're and its instead of it's, although I have been trying to cut it down. However, the worst is when people take things such as "jk" and actually say them out loud instead of "just kidding." I've seen people do that, I actually have a friend who always says "lol."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  12:17:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I'm guilty of typing your instead of you're and its instead of it's, although I have been trying to cut it down. However, the worst is when people take things such as "jk" and actually say them out loud instead of "just kidding." I've seen people do that, I actually have a friend who always says "lol."

lol!
Yes, yes. I've seen many people confusing your and you're, usually putting you're where your is the correct one. It's quite annoying to me, as, english being my second language, sometimes I'm easily confused

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  12:41:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
My pet peeve (and this is an old one I know) is "like". As in, "Well, he was like mad at me and stuff." Please add "and stuff" to that.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  14:12:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
While we're at this, I'd like to see people use "lion's share" (the lion's share is however much the lion wants, often 100%, not a synonym for "majority"), "sea change" (tides change slowly, not suddenly), "quantum leap" (they're really, really tiny, not huge), and "light year" (a measure of distance, not time) correctly.

I'm sure I'll think of others...

Oh, yeah: I'd like more people to use ellipses correctly. And the abuse of the friggin' possessive apostrophe-S has got to stop. I've actually seen a sign which read something like "Come in for library fun day's." Argh!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  15:04:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Words like "irregardless" and phrases such as "could care less" often cause me to consider murder most foul.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.