New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  01:36:02  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I continue to ba amazed. These blithers never pass a chance to bash Clinton, even when there's nothing to bash him over. In which case, they'll make something up.
quote:
Conservatives falsely attacked Clinton's remarks on tsunami relief effort
Numerous conservative pundits attacked former President Bill Clinton for his December 28 remarks to the BBC Radio 4 program Today about the December 26 earthquake and tsunami that killed more than 150,000 people in South Asia. For example, on the January 3 edition of FOX News' Hannity & Colmes, right-wing pundit Ann Coulter leapt on Clinton's statement that "I think it's really important that somebody take the lead" in coordinating relief efforts to claim that he was "attacking" President Bush and "milking" the tsunami in order to remind people of "what a big heart he has." And on December 29, nationally syndicated right-wing radio host Neal Boortz described Clinton's remarks as "phony compassion" from a "famous publicity whore."

But Clinton did not attack Bush in his comments to the BBC (see transcript below). Moreover, Clinton's comments on the tsunami disaster relief operation were only a portion of the interview, which dealt also with the broader topics of world poverty and international aid. The interviewer explained that, while "guest editor [musician and activist] Bono wanted to hear from [Clinton] about aid and economic reform," "when we did speak, we had to talk about the tsunami and its aftermath as well."

Is it just me, or does it seem like these blights upon the American discourse are getting shriller?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  05:16:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
I agree it seems to be getting worse. There seems to be nothing that is beneath them. Unfortunately, that attitude is a big part of why there guy was elected president.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  02:28:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Trouble is Republicans keep doing it because it works strategically. The message gets through even when debunked. It happens the same way in lots of commercial marketing campaigns.

"Listerine prevents colds and flu."...Taken off the air because it was fraudulent.

"Listerine kills germs that cause bad breath."....Not very factual either but marginal enough to stay on the air.

Public still hears their brain translation, "Listerine prevents infection"' which is pretty much false except in a very few limited circumstances.

The 'Talking Points' memos the Republicans have put out are pretty conclusive evidence that statements like those in the OP are calculated and planned. They aren't spontaneous statements Ann C. happens to make. Someone in the Republican core knows they just have to mention such things within earshot and the various media puppets will do the rest.

And the news media does not do it's job calling people on such comments. That's what John Stewart was talking about when he told the CNN Crossfire guys their show was bunk. There will be a right and a left commentary but neither will get to the bottom of the story for the viewer. Equal time, must have equal time.

Blogs get to the truth, but they get to the folks who already agree with their point of view. Blogs don't get to the Smiths in Arkansas or my computerless neighbors on the corner. And for all the good investigative blogs we still have the outright fake ones which do not help matters.

Democracy depends on information about issues. We are losing it fast. Groups like moveon.org have had an impact in challenging the Republican dis info marketing machine. But the Republican successes in the 04 election show it has so far not been enough. Sign up with moveon if you haven't already.

I would be much more sympathetic to the Republican positions if they weren't in power based on such a dishonest marketing campaign, (and if they weren't trying to make the US the Bible capital of the world.)
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  08:14:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I continue to ba amazed. These blithers never pass a chance to bash Clinton, even when there's nothing to bash him over. In which case, they'll make something up.
quote:
Conservatives falsely attacked Clinton's remarks on tsunami relief effort
Numerous conservative pundits attacked former President Bill Clinton for his December 28 remarks to the BBC Radio 4 program Today about the December 26 earthquake and tsunami that killed more than 150,000 people in South Asia. For example, on the January 3 edition of FOX News' Hannity & Colmes, right-wing pundit Ann Coulter leapt on Clinton's statement that "I think it's really important that somebody take the lead" in coordinating relief efforts to claim that he was "attacking" President Bush and "milking" the tsunami in order to remind people of "what a big heart he has." And on December 29, nationally syndicated right-wing radio host Neal Boortz described Clinton's remarks as "phony compassion" from a "famous publicity whore."

But Clinton did not attack Bush in his comments to the BBC (see transcript below). Moreover, Clinton's comments on the tsunami disaster relief operation were only a portion of the interview, which dealt also with the broader topics of world poverty and international aid. The interviewer explained that, while "guest editor [musician and activist] Bono wanted to hear from [Clinton] about aid and economic reform," "when we did speak, we had to talk about the tsunami and its aftermath as well."

Is it just me, or does it seem like these blights upon the American discourse are getting shriller?

I think it is getting worse. They've been energized by their political successes. It's given them a certain amount of pompous arrogance which has the effect of emboldening their attacks, their shrillness, so to speak.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.