Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  17:43:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

What makes you think I am like Verlch ? Thinking that ghosts exist? or that God exists?

Here is the failure of understanding what a skeptic is. Skepticism is not a collection of what to accept and what to not accept.

However, it is a way to approach and deal with claims. You have shown failure in the appropriate way to do so in so many of the claims here and also your own claims that you put forth (ghosts, telepathy, etc).

It is this lack of being able to reasonably approach a claim which makes you not a skeptic.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  18:02:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Skepticism is not a collection of what to accept and what to not accept. quoted by Ricky.
While it might not in the long run, Skepticism has been replaced by to many debunkers. People with preset notions that the phenomenon is a fraud. I am a true skeptic... I do not ignore the evidence.. I do not immediately say Paranormal... Oh Contrare
I wish I had that icon that Dr. M had the banging the head icon. Doctor can you help me get that please!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  18:09:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I do not ignore the evidence

No, but what you do ignore is natural explanations for evidence.

You also don't provide any of this evidence that you don't ignore.

Edit:

quote:
While it might not in the long run, Skepticism has been replaced by to many debunkers.

Science is the pursuit to understand what the universe really is. Skepticism is the questioning of claims, whether put forth by scientists or others. However, a growing trend has been pseudoscience. To combat this, skeptics debunk claims made by pseudoscience.

So the only reason why there are more debunkers is because of the growing amount of pseudoscience.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/06/2005 18:17:49
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  18:19:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Where is that damn icon when you need it!!! Ricky, I DO believe that ghosts, telepathy, precognitions, esp, are natural phenomenon. Read the old threads man....
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  20:56:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

Ricky, I DO believe that ghosts, telepathy, precognitions, esp, are natural phenomenon.

If those things exist I suppose they would be natural. But as it stands they are all still paranormal claims lacking any evidence that is scientifically supported. That you believe that they are natural does not change their status. Lacking evidence, I remain skeptical of above claims…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  21:04:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
What evidence would make you believe Kil? Well let us not be as drastic as believe? but let us ask what evidence would just slighly lean you toward a belief? Has not my theory of natural energy at least a start? not so far out if you really think about it? Think about it Kil
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  21:29:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Where is that damn icon when you need it!!! Ricky, I DO believe that ghosts, telepathy, precognitions, esp, are natural phenomenon. Read the old threads man....

Huh? I know that you do. I never said you didn't...

quote:
What evidence would make you believe Kil?

Anything at all. Anything that can't be explained by normal means, that is.

Edit:

And that would only bring further investigations. You would have to be able to repeat your observations for others. You would have to eliminate all other potential factors. Multiple lines of evidence reaching the same conclusion (here, it would be ghosts) are always good as well.

- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/06/2005 21:33:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  21:53:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Has not my theory of natural energy at least a start?
Since you cannot define 'ghost' or 'energy', no, it's not a start at all. It is a theory which is utterly devoid of meaning. You might as well say "my theory of ghosts is freeble do-whacky energy zing woo pop hutgig."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  21:58:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Where is the Doctor when you need him!!! I need the icon!!! The banging head one !!!! Help
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  22:53:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Where is the Doctor when you need him!!! I need the icon!!! The banging head one !!!! Help

Hmm, that one wouldn't be hard to do, but it would be damn near impossible to stay within the 15x15 size for the icons. I'll see what I can come up with and maybe @tomic or Dave will put it on.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  07:50:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

What evidence would make you believe Kil? Well let us not be as drastic as believe? but let us ask what evidence would just slighly lean you toward a belief? Has not my theory of natural energy at least a start? not so far out if you really think about it? Think about it Kil

If you want to know what would it would take for me to accept a claim perhaps it would be best to refer you to our About Skepticism area. Read what is there and you may get an idea of what counts for evidence. You may also get a better grasp on what being a skeptic is about.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  08:00:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Storm:
Has not my theory of natural energy at least a start?

You don't have a theory of natural energy. Those are musings of yours that are so ill defined they can't even be called a hypothesis. There is a scientific method for arriving at a theory. You haven't even begun that journey…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  13:44:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
The wall-banger smily comes from my personal collection of honestly stolen/ripped off icons.
The problem is, they are subject to copyright, and getting in touch of the copyright holders is next to impossible.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  15:06:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I must disagree Kil I have definetly begun the Journey. It just up to me to choose the right path. I am definetly leaning toward the path of Science. There is no doubt in my mind. I just happen to look at phenomenon, evidence in different ways than what you define? What some of the skeptics define here? Does not mean it is incorrecct, unreasonable, outlandish. Thinking God is giving a fuckin mercy killings to the Swedes is outlandish, unreasonable. Thinking Ghosts are disperced,energy is much more reasonable. Wouldn't you think?
I read you skepticism article. It was the first one Iread when I found this website.
So what is skepticism? The American Heritage Dictionary defines it as “A doubting or questioning attitude or state of mind.” That is true to a point. Unfortunalty, this definition also implies a certain closed-mindedness. It stops well short of how we skeptics view our skepticism. I view skepticism as a method for finding out if a claim has any value by asking questions and considering the evidence for the claim. We become skeptical when a claim does not seem tenable. We approach such a claim with doubt. We want to know more about it. While our doubt may be justified, we must remain open to the idea that the claimant might be able to support that claim. Simply doubting a claim is not enough. We will learn nothing if we remain steeped in doubt. Doubt should serve as the motivator for skeptical inquiry.

So what is skepticism? The American Heritage Dictionary defines it as “A doubting or questioning attitude or state of mind.” That is true to a point. Unfortunalty, this definition also implies a certain closed-mindedness. It stops well short of how we skeptics view our skepticism. I view skepticism as a method for finding out if a claim has any value by asking questions and considering the evidence for the claim. We become skeptical when a claim does not seem tenable. We approach such a claim with doubt. We want to know more about it. While our doubt may be justified, we must remain open to the idea that the claimant might be able to support that claim. Simply doubting a claim is not enough. We will learn nothing if we remain steeped in doubt. Doubt should serve as the motivator for skeptical inquiry.

So what is skepticism? The American Heritage Dictionary defines it as “A doubting or questioning attitude or state of mind.” That is true to a point. Unfortunalty, this definition also implies a certain closed-mindedness. It stops well short of how we skeptics view our skepticism. I view skepticism as a method for finding out if a claim has any value by asking questions and considering the evidence for the claim. We become skeptical when a claim does not seem tenable. We approach such a claim with doubt. We want to know more about it. While our doubt may be justified, we must remain open to the idea that the claimant might be able to support that claim. Simply doubting a claim is not enough. We will learn nothing if we remain steeped in doubt. Doubt should serve as the motivator for skeptical inquiry. I agree with it very much...In fact I read it numerous times

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  16:16:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

I must disagree Kil I have definetly begun the Journey.

The evidence for that is not self-evident.
quote:
I am definetly leaning toward the path of Science.
Perhaps, but you're still rejecting the notion of searching through all possible natural causes for a phenomenon before jumping to paranormal/supernatural explanations. And when I say natural, I mean natural in the sense any respected run-of-the-mill scientist would use: stuff that scientists have gotten the Nobel Prize for...
quote:

I just happen to look at phenomenon, evidence in different ways than what you define? What some of the skeptics define here? Does not mean it is incorrecct, unreasonable, outlandish.
Yes.
quote:
Thinking God is giving a fuckin mercy killings to the Swedes is outlandish, unreasonable. Thinking Ghosts are disperced,energy is much more reasonable. Wouldn't you think?
It is more reasonable than the first option, but it is still not reasonable.
You are still far out in woo-woo-land.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.