Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  16:28:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I disagree with you Dr. Mabuse. I think my theory is more closer to the truth than you know. I immedietly look for naturalanswers I have said that all along!!!! But there are those that define natural explanations, anomolies. My meter incident, my slipper incident...
I am not so far out in woo woo land as you might think? but a little woo wooing never hurt anyone
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  20:42:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
So Storm, was there any particular lesson I was supposed to learn as a reason for you to use the same quote from my article 5 times? I fail to see the point, if there was one...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  21:09:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
No Kil complete mistake. only meant to copy it once
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  22:58:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

I think my theory is more closer to the truth than you know.
Calling it a theory doesn't make it one. We've told you what a scientific theory is and does. Your speculation doesn't explain anything (you can't even define the words), and it doesn't predict anything. It's not a theory.

If you've got any desire for us to agree that you're acting in a scientific manner, or have any desire to, you should start acting in a scientific manner.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  23:14:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Calling it a theory doesn't make it one. We've told you what a scientific theory is and does. Your speculation doesn't explain anything (you can't even define the words), and it doesn't predict anything. It's not a theory.

"When I can tell a theory from what's mainly hypothetical"

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  10:03:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

No Kil complete mistake. only meant to copy it once

I'm still not sure what point you were trying to make by selecting that quote...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  16:06:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
quote:
Orignally posted by Dr. Mabuse
Perhaps, but you're still rejecting the notion of searching through all possible natural causes for a phenomenon before jumping to paranormal/supernatural explanations. And when I say natural, I mean natural in the sense any respected run-of-the-mill scientist would use: stuff that scientists have gotten the Nobel Prize for...

No I am not!!! I definetly look for natural causes first. Dr. Mabuse I have definetly shown that I do NOT think ghosts are supernatural/paranoraml
What makes what I say unreasonable? What part? Because A noble prize or run of the mill scientist has not said it first?
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  16:57:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Orignally posted by Dr. Mabuse
Perhaps, but you're still rejecting the notion of searching through all possible natural causes for a phenomenon before jumping to paranormal/supernatural explanations. And when I say natural, I mean natural in the sense any respected run-of-the-mill scientist would use: stuff that scientists have gotten the Nobel Prize for...

No I am not!!! I definetly look for natural causes first.
Then why did you write this in the grieving-pet thread?
quote:
Hail to your thinking Siberia!!! I believe the horse picked up on you and your energy towards him.
The natural answer is obvious (just as Siberia's dog): The animal picked up from the body-language that Siberia was in distress, and came to offer support.
"Energy" had nothing to do with it. Just an example of you jumping to conclusion.
And your story about the meter that a ghost took out of your bag and laid on a table in the kitchen. Since when did ghosts move corporeal objects? The most likely explanation is that you took it out yourself, but forgot about it, or that someone else took it out when you were not looking. Both alternatives are more plausible than the ethereal ghost starting to mess around with the physical world.
A scientist would say: There could be several reasons for the meter to get moved from the bag to the table. We have no evidence that points in any direction, so the answer to the question "How?" the answer must be: "I don't know, and I will probably never find out, either."
Suggesting without evidence, that a ghost made it move is uncalled for, gets a high reading on a scientist's woo-woo-meter.

quote:
Dr. Mabuse I have definetly shown that I do NOT think ghosts are supernatural/paranoraml
Yes, you have made abundantly clear that you think ghosts are natural, and not paranormal. It's just that the rest of us, yes just about every scientist you could find, disagrees with you.
As long as there are no scientific theories describing the phenomena of ghosts, ghosts are by definition paranormal and not natural.
quote:
What makes what I say unreasonable? What part?
Because you are trying to reinvent language by assigning new definitions to already accepted use. Like using the word Energy to describe something that has nothing to do with energy.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  17:21:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Ya know Doc I am not really sure about the whole pet grieving section you are talking about maybe my mistake Sorry So forget that. Just got home from work. Wiped. Lots of death and grief today
any way back to Ghosts....
quote:
Yes, you have made abundantly clear that you think ghosts are natural, and not paranormal. It's just that the rest of us, yes just about every scientist you could find, disagrees with you.
As long as there are no scientific theories describing the phenomena of ghosts, ghosts are by definition paranormal and not natural.

Don't you think that a scientist must start somewhere? So maybe if I rephrase things you could see the possibilities of what I propose?
In my observations of ghostly phenomenon I am drawing a hypothesis that Ghostly phenomenon can be attributed to redistributed energy into the environnment. This redistributed energy comes from humans/animals that were once living but are now deceased.
The fact is the phenomenon exists? How? Why? Well I have just suggested one possibility? But this is of course after things like, draft, misperception, fraud, etc can be ruled out. Why should the anomoly stay an anomoly. Maybe there is an answer. Maybe it will be I to prove it.
quote:
Because you are trying to reinvent language by assigning new definitions to already accepted use. Like using the word Energy to describe something that has nothing to do with energy.

Explain?
quote:

I am proposing a new theory!!!
How's the Grammar? Better? Not so bothered
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  17:58:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Don't you think that a scientist must start somewhere? So maybe if I rephrase things you could see the possibilities of what I propose?
In my observations of ghostly phenomenon I am drawing a hypothesis that Ghostly phenomenon can be attributed to redistributed energy into the environnment. This redistributed energy comes from humans/animals that were once living but are now deceased.
The fact is the phenomenon exists? How? Why? Well I have just suggested one possibility? But this is of course after things like, draft, misperception, fraud, etc can be ruled out. Why should the anomoly stay an anomoly. Maybe there is an answer. Maybe it will be I to prove it.

Well, at least you have the order with the scientific method down. You are no longer starting with a theory first.

What is really lacking here is a concept of how energy is used. To do work, energy requires a mechanism to use it. I could shoot all the energy at a car I want, and it will not move. It will heat up but it will not move. I need some sort of mechanism to convert that energy into motion. In the cars case, it is a motor. The motor takes the chemical potiential energy found is gas, literally blows it up creating heat. It then takes this heat and coverts it into mechanical energy, pushing the car forward.

Until you can name some sort of mechanism in which the energy released from a body after death is used to do work, your hypothesis is seriously flawed.

And even if you can, you will need to show how energy from a dead body is somehow different than that of a living body or all the other energy in the universe. As far as physics is concerned right now, all that energy is exactly the same and behaves with the same properties.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  18:11:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I am sitting here reading this wonderful book{see book review folder} and talking with you all, waiting for my chinese food!!!!.
I am looking at the authors model of the reasoning process used to evaluate scientific ideas.
1}Observe
2}Hypothesize- this is where I am
3}Predict
4}Experiment Difficult to do with dead corpses
5}Revise Hypothesis- this is what we need to do the current hypothesis on Ghosts
6}Expirement
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  19:14:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
So what exactly have you observed and how exactly did you observe it? Have you observed it multiple times? Have you observed multiple things leading to the same hypothesis (not required, but a good thing to have)?

Are others able to observe it? Have others observed it? If I wish to observe it, can you tell me how to go about doing so?

And until you know the mechanism that uses this energy, you have no hypothesis. How would you test something if you had no clue as to how it worked?

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  21:17:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

In my observations of ghostly phenomenon...
What, precisely, are the phenomena you've observed? Here are a few that I've observed:
  • If I throw a ball into the air, it comes back down.
  • If I take an aspirin when I've got a headache, the headache goes away.
  • My heart rate, after running up and down stairs a few times, is higher than it is after I've been sitting for a while.
quote:
...I am drawing a hypothesis that Ghostly phenomenon can be attributed to redistributed energy into the environnment.
This hypothesis is utterly worthless until you define the word 'energy'. Yes, I'm a stuck record, but you don't have a hypothesis until you define your terms (and precisely record your observations).
quote:
This redistributed energy comes from humans/animals that were once living but are now deceased.
Where this undefined "energy" is coming from to create these undefined "ghostly" phenomena is an entirely separate hypothesis, but suffers from the same problems as the first.
quote:
The fact is the phenomenon exists?
Your question mark is entirely appropriate, since you haven't really told us what you think the "phenomenon" is.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  21:36:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

I am looking at the authors model of the reasoning process used to evaluate scientific ideas.
1}Observe
2}Hypothesize- this is where I am
3}Predict
4}Experiment Difficult to do with dead corpses
5}Revise Hypothesis- this is what we need to do the current hypothesis on Ghosts
6}Expirement

What you will find is you will be stuck in hypothesis. (Musings in this case.) I predict that you will not be able to devise a way for your hypothesis to lead to a prediction that can be tested. The reason? Your energy idea is a null hypothesis. Until you can define exactly what this energy should be and how it should act, you will be at a serious disadvantage designing an in experiment to measure it. Since the energy you suggest defies what is known about the nature of energy, you may eventually have to conclude that your hypothesis is not in the realm of the falsifiable. And that would make it paranormal by definition.

However, I am glad to see you are learning about the scientific method. That is a good thing…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.