The Claims List
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  00:10:13  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Going over the Claims List, I'm sure we can come up with at least a few more to be added on there.

I'll start with a two:

Noah's Ark: It got washed away.
Quantum Dowsing: Proved that many woo-woo's have arthritis
[Edited to fix link - Dave W.]

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  10:09:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Good idea Ricky. To everyone ells, keep em coming...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  12:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Crystal skulls: Real rock, lots of imagination

Edited to add:

Modern plesiosaur: Kent hovind loved this one!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/08/2005 14:02:40
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  14:08:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I just use this list http://www.skepdic.com/contents.html

The claims list is missing a lot, graphology for one... The loop in you J's indicates your compensation for a small penis.... "Funny, I write that way because my mother showed me how.".... Oh well she was compensating for your father's small penis...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  14:11:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Yeah, I use the skeptic dictionary too. Our claims list is different. It's a humor thing....

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  14:36:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Anyone see "White Noise" yet? Basically it is the claim that spirits and what ever else contact us through static in modern electrical devices. Is there a specific name for this?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Isaiah
Skeptic Friend

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  14:45:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Isaiah's Homepage Send Isaiah a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Anyone see "White Noise" yet? Basically it is the claim that spirits and what ever else contact us through static in modern electrical devices. Is there a specific name for this?

Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP)

For Real Things I Know - http://solomonj.blogspot.com

"My point is, that you cannot use lack of evidence for one possibility as proof for another." - Dude

“I would rather delude myself with comforting fantasies than face a cold reality” - Isaiah, altered from astropin
Edited by - Isaiah on 01/10/2005 14:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  15:25:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
quote:
Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP)

Exactly!!!

There still is nothing next to the Ghost claim? Can't you all think of one....
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  15:42:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Storm, that is the point! Ghosts are invisible, hence the response is invisible.

I still think it should say "Boo", but in the same color as the background.

Edit:

Electronic Voice Phenomena: Pot and a lot of free time.

- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/10/2005 15:44:23
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  17:45:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Garden of Eden: Where that mule won't plow.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  11:02:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
FDA is making you sick: Fine, go take your homeopathic remedies when you get cancer. It will be a good example of Natural Selection at work.

- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/15/2005 11:03:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.