Great Book!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  17:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Even though most of you do not think I use scientific methods or thinking...
The truth is I do...
Just reading this book now
Quantum Leaps in the Wrong Direction by Charles M. Wynn
[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  01:12:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Part of the Publisher's Weekly review says,
Wynn and Wiggins apparently were aiming for a serious discussion leavened with humor, but their approach seems incoherent. Sidney Harris, well known for his work in the New Yorker, has contributed cartoons, but they are rather hit-and-miss and just add to the uneven tone of the book. The authors make some interesting points (Noah's ark, if built to the dimensions given in the Bible, wouldn't have been seaworthy), but it's doubtful that readers who believe in astrology, ESP or UFOs will pick this book up to begin with, let alone be convinced by the authors' arguments. (June 5)Forecast: It won't be long before this title takes a quantum leap into the remainder bins.
Others have suggested, and I probably won't be the last, but you should read Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World. It's an excellent book about woo-woo subjects.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  07:40:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I disagree!!! I find it to be informative!!!! Can not please everyone
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  07:49:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I'll take a look, if I find it.
But yeah, Sagan's one is awesome. Damn good writer, he is.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  10:09:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message

I have not read this book, and it's very unlikely that I will.

I would, along with other here, urge you to read Carl Sagan's book. It's a very good introduction to skepticism.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345409469/ref=pd_sim_b_5/002-7444988-8692006?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Another good book that you should read, Storm, is this one by Michael Shermer.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805070893/ref=pd_sim_b_2/002-7444988-8692006?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

I'd GIVE you my copies of these books if you'd actually read them.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  10:29:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
What makes you think I will not read them? Of course I will!!! I'll tell you when they arrive!!!!But then Dude you must read mine!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  10:37:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
The reason I say I wouldn't be likely to read the book you mentioned is time restraints. I work full time and am a full time student. I'll be taking only 10 hours this term (due to scheduling conflicts) and probably 8 hours over the summer term.

I'll be stopping in the local Barnes and Nobel today to pick up a couple of books I have ordered, if there is a copy of the Wynn book on the shelf I will look through it. If it appears interesting (the reviews it gets are none to flattering....) I may pick up a copy.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  10:56:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Another "ditto" on the Carl Sagan book. It's one of the rare books that can change you...y'know, really rock your thinking.

Gawd, I miss that man's mind. What a loss for humanity.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  10:59:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Another "ditto" on the Carl Sagan book. It's one of the rare books that can change you...y'know, really rock your thinking.

Gawd, I miss that man's mind. What a loss for humanity.

Yeah... the man had a great mind, and was a great writer. Oh well.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  21:18:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Sagan just has a way of putting everything in perspective and his last line when talking about a subject always makes me sit there and say to myself, "Wow, that was a great argument." I need to go back through that book and just get quotes out of it. I thought the first three chapters were the best.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  21:33:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
My wife, despite disliking the sound of Sagan's voice, finally got me the boxed DVD set of Cosmos as a gift this past Christmas. It's better than I remember, especially with the added "10 years later" segments some of the shows have.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  22:07:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I have recently found out that they actually have the full collection at my library, I am going to take them out as soon as I could find time.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  07:29:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

My wife, despite disliking the sound of Sagan's voice, finally got me the boxed DVD set of Cosmos as a gift this past Christmas. It's better than I remember, especially with the added "10 years later" segments some of the shows have.

Does Cosmos come with subtitles?
(I couldn't hope for Swedish, but English is better than nothing)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

scrunchie

1 Post

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  14:52:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send scrunchie a Private Message
As my first post here, I'll give a thumbs up to Richard Dawkins' book, "Unweaving the Rainbow" as an enjoyable read for the skeptical mind.

It's later than you think.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  17:12:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Welcome to SFN, scrunchie.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  17:38:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

Even though most of you do not think I use scientific methods or thinking...
The truth is I do...
Just reading this book now
Quantum Leaps in the Wrong Direction by Charles M. Wynn
[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]

You do understand that reading a book in no way employs the scientific method, right?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.