New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Was_a_skeptic

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  13:04:48  Show Profile  Send Was_a_skeptic a Yahoo! Message Send Was_a_skeptic a Private Message
Ok , I used to be a skeptic . But I have spoken to several psychics on a certain website and I have gotten incredable information that nobody could have possibly known .
One day my sister called telling me of this guy she had talked to who told ehr what she looked like and what she was doing while they where talking . They guy said ? Do you always rub your hair like that Amanda ? ..she paused and he started telling her about the room she was in describing it perfectly . Anyway , my couisn talked to him and he did the same to her . Telling her where her mole on her cheek was and whatnot....My turn , she sent me thrre free minutes to talk with this guy and OMG . I was amazed . Its unreal what this guy knows .He told me what I looked like and told me about where my hair was died and gave me all kinds of info to verify his gift and then started saying " You car has been a problem lately " wich it had becasue I hadnt had it in 4 months as it was hit head on . Anyway , we talked and I asked him some questions in wich he answered and 90% of what he told me came to pass .
I also spoke with a few others on the site as the majority sucked a few where just amzing me over and over again . And Id call back to see if I got the same info and always did . The woman I started calling described the guy that got me fired perfectly and told me what my relashioship was with him and described everything perfectly . Then she gave me some dates on certani things I asked about . And things happened the way she said they would including her giving me a date for someone to contact me and That id see this person on said date . All was right! Well , a few weeks ago she told me about a job offer that was coming on a certain day . Guess what folks ? She was right again ! I scored and interview and was offered a Job . She also descbribed a situation between my friend and her BF perfectly . telling me what he did and tellinh me about the opther woman he had been eyeing for a while and how she was a drama queen . She was right again ..ANyone in here ever encounter such a thing?

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  13:21:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
What percentage of people have problems with their cars? 85%? 90%? All of those things you describe happen to many many people and are generalizations, most people get jobs within a few weeks, all guys eye other woman and most momen can be classified as drama queens. You trusted him on the advice of someone you respect and gave the benefit of the doubt. You want to believe and so ignore all that which is inaccurate and fit what is close to accurate as exact. Its the same thing with the Horoscope givin to an entire class, each person felt it described them when in fact it was the same for everyone. If you train in the art of cold reading you can make millions off of those who want to believe, like jon edward and his 400/hr sessions with 50 people at a time.

All this psychic has to do is prove it in a few very controlled scientific studies done by reputable organizations and he will be the most famous person in the world, destroying what we know about the mind. Noble prize and millions of dollars await this person. Now why would he watse his time with a psychic hotline when he could be helping the CIA capture Osama and get the 25mil, or do the randi prize? Why then did he not warn the 200,000 dead people in Asia? Why Why Why....Because he is not psychic.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Was_a_skeptic

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  13:25:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Was_a_skeptic a Yahoo! Message Send Was_a_skeptic a Private Message
What about him telling me EXACTLY what I look like ? what about the numerous accurate dates I got from the other one ? What about him knowing EXACTLY what my mom did for a living EXACTLY what my sister looked like and what she was doing when she talked to him ? what the rooms she was in looked like ?.....Oh , and I forgot to mention he told me what would happen with something I had running thrue court at the time as well .

Not to mention they ahve a rating system on the site and thousands of people have had the same thing happen to them from this guy .

What about the other stuff ?
Go to Top of Page

Was_a_skeptic

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  13:36:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Was_a_skeptic a Yahoo! Message Send Was_a_skeptic a Private Message
You never answered one question..He couldnt generalise my hair do ..the fact that I have side burns and a gotee..gernalizations will only take you sa far .

Like I said he is 90% right . Im sure the test whats his name has requires 100% accuracy and I dont think any person will ever pass it . But there are still things that cant be explained .

it is not possible for someone to be that good of a guesser.
SO I guess he has a probability calculator..hmm..."what are the chances she will have a mole on her left cheek ..let me throw some numbers on there...oh , I got it ! "
He told me I had a court date coming and that It would be in my favor . He was right..Do you have a court date coming ?
is your car broke down ? Do you have Blonde tips and does your hair ONLY sitck up in the front ? Where are you sitting ?WHat does the room look like you are in ? are you in a room ? it would amaze anyone if they talked to this guy and he was on the ball! He tells you things kn body could possibly know .
ALso , When I had a good job , he told me Id be changing jobs in late january, early febuary . I didnt believe him as I liked my job . But I lost it ...Does everyone get fired in january ?
That probability crap works on the simple minded . I am far from simple .
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  13:36:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Welcome, Was_a_skeptic. I can only tell you that you give away more about yourself than you realize when you talk to a "psychic". The concerns you tell them about reveal things about you, and your responses to their predictions tell them still more.

Consider (if it's worth it to you financially) creating another persona for yourself, with other interests and concerns. If these folks are psychic, they'll see through you.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Was_a_skeptic

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  13:47:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Was_a_skeptic a Yahoo! Message Send Was_a_skeptic a Private Message
Thank you for the welcome..
But thats what im telling you . The few that I talk to I never gave them any information , in some instances I never even had to ask a question . thats what amazes me. I dont waste my money on someone I have to feed info . Of course thats when they can start genralizing . Hell , I could do that . But for them to just blow up with information and start spewing all the things in my life .

I have spoken to fakes before And they are easy to spotmost of the time . They give vague...very unspecific information

I didnt have to give any ifno to The guy to tell me all the stuff he told me . I rarely had to ask anything . It kinda scares me...Im still waiting o hear how he knew the description of everyone I have ever know that has talked to him ? how he descibed my GF my sisters living room...her looks ..my looks..my cousins looks....Anyone ?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  13:47:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Welcome WaS.

Give this guy a simple test. Get him either face to face or over the phone (on line won't do it -- too easy to google your name or handle) and answer exactly zero questions he asks including, "How're ya doin'?" Then see how accurate he is.

Dave, you should to get the cold reading piece up pretty soon. Looks like we might need it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Was_a_skeptic

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  14:02:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Was_a_skeptic a Yahoo! Message Send Was_a_skeptic a Private Message
It was over the phone.....and he didnt know my name cause I hadnt entered it anywhere ...Next!
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  14:15:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Was_a_skeptic
It was over the phone.....and he didnt know my name cause I hadnt entered it anywhere ...Next!

I assume this was a paid call. Credit card info, perhaps?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  14:24:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

You have heard of caller ID haven't you?

Cold reading (and I've done my share of it while reading Tarot) requires the person to start from a bunch of general statements and then pick up on tonal inflections and non-verbal cues to zero in on such things as appearance, appearance of siblings, etc. Much of what my subjects thought was accurate reading with no prompting from them stemmed from statements they made which reminded me of individuals in my past. I applied their fashion sense to the person's family description and updated it as appropriate. I did this unconsciously at first, but started to really notice it after a while.

I listened to myself giving readings and noticed I said a lot of the same things about people. The way it went from there depended on what cues I picked up from tonal inflection, unconscious verbal ticks, and body language. It is possible to do this over the phone as one can notice the difference between speaking styles and distance that the phone is from the mouth of the speaker. If you want to test this "psychic", deliver all your answers to their questions in a monotone. Offer no information what-so-ever about family. See what kind of accuracy they get.

I think that "psychic" phenomenon might happen, but not on command. If someone claims that they can do "psychic" on command, they are selling something you shouldn't buy.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  14:49:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Ok , I used to be a skeptic .

You'll have to forgive me, but I am skeptical of your alleged skepticism.

As has been stated by others, why would anyone with "real" psychic abilites work for a 1-900 psychic service? You have to see the inconsitency here. There are, literally, millions and millions of dollars waiting to be collected by a real psychic. Everything from criminal rewards to the JREF prize.

Not to mention the profit that could be made at a horsetrack.... bet a Trifecta for $10k, take that winning and bet the next 10 Pick 6's.... repeat for a week and Retire to Aruba with enough cash to buy half the island.

High stakes poker! Take a cool mil from your track winnings and get into a no-limit game of TX Holdem. You could never be bluffed, you'd know when the other people at the table had the cards to win or not. You'd be, literally, unstoppable at poker.

And now that you have a several hundred mil in your pocket, it's time to take on some real gambling. Start as a day-trader, play the stocks minute to minute. You'd be a billionaire in a week.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Does it make ANY sense that a "real psychic" would be sitting someplace answering a phone for a small share of the $3.95 a minute, just to answer questions about your life? To give you a kick by describing what you look like?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Was_a_skeptic

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  14:52:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Was_a_skeptic a Yahoo! Message Send Was_a_skeptic a Private Message
Am i not being clear enough ? He had no facts None...nothing to work with .
I am a salesmen myself and Know how to sell people.

I didnt use a credit card when he gave me all the initial info..It was 3 free minutes . Nor did I use my phone . I didnt have to call them , I entered a number and they called me on a phone that belonged to a female .
He didnt have my name...He had nothing to google . And if he would have had " caller ID " it would have came up as Heater . Would not have been my name .
When I first called him I had 3 minutes free ..no cards..no info..he just gave me the facts.......
Next please..Im waiting for a good explanation and people please read the facts I have posted before responding...T/y :)

BTW , I really like this site..there are a few cool things on here .
Go to Top of Page

Isaiah
Skeptic Friend

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  14:55:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Isaiah's Homepage Send Isaiah a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Dave, you should to get the cold reading piece up pretty soon. Looks like we might need it.

These are two of the best cold reading pieces I've seen,

Dennis Dutton on Cold Reading

Psychic for a Day: How I Learned Tarot Cards, Palm Reading,
Astrology, and Mediumship in 24 Hours

For Real Things I Know - http://solomonj.blogspot.com

"My point is, that you cannot use lack of evidence for one possibility as proof for another." - Dude

“I would rather delude myself with comforting fantasies than face a cold reality” - Isaiah, altered from astropin
Go to Top of Page

Was_a_skeptic

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  14:58:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Was_a_skeptic a Yahoo! Message Send Was_a_skeptic a Private Message
Im used to be just like you people when it came to this stuff until I spoke with this guy and 2 other woman .

I was awarded a bunch of free time on that Website so I talked with I know 35 people and three seem to be genuine . Not one claims to be 100% accurate .
And DUDE I see where your going with this but you still have yet to explain or anyone else for that matter has yet to explain how this guy knew what we all looked like..how he described my sisters Living room in perfect detail.....My cousins eye/hair color and the mole on her cheek.....My hair , facial features. Personal stuff I havent told anyone .
You guys are this skeptic becasue you have never talked with a REAL psychic . I was the same exact way .

can Anyone explain this ?
Remember the Guy knew nothing avout me and This info was given on free minutes..over the phone...not my phone ..he didnt have my name....I didnt tell him anything..ANd look at all the things he knew .
Next !
Go to Top of Page

Isaiah
Skeptic Friend

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  15:06:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Isaiah's Homepage Send Isaiah a Private Message
quote:

You guys are this skeptic becasue you have never talked with a REAL psychic . I was the same exact way .

What was his answer when you asked him why he was wasting his time on a phone psychic line that most people don't take seriously?

I assume you must have asked him that if you were a real skeptic that suddenly had all of your skepticism proven wrong about psychics.

What I don't understand is why you would leap to the conclusion that this person is a psychic instead of leaping to the conclusion that your house and your friend's houses have been bugged and have secret cameras all over the place. Isn't that a more likely answer?

I'm not really a skeptic, but if I had someone on the other end of my phone who could tell me all of these things about what I looked like and about my past activities, I would be changing all of the locks on my doors and installing an alarm system because my first thought would not be that the guy was a psychic.

Isaiah

For Real Things I Know - http://solomonj.blogspot.com

"My point is, that you cannot use lack of evidence for one possibility as proof for another." - Dude

“I would rather delude myself with comforting fantasies than face a cold reality” - Isaiah, altered from astropin
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  15:07:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Wasa you mentioned that the psychic was 90% not 100% correct so scientist would not accept the results.

If your psychic was right 50% of the time that would be more than enough to prove that he was in fact psychic. All the psychics ever tested only showed an accuracy that was on par with random chance, unless they cheated or there was a flawed test.

I predict that this guy will tell us to check out the psychics ourselves to see if they are real or not - and the first 3 minutes are free.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.