New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Was_a_skeptic

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  09:04:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Was_a_skeptic a Yahoo! Message Send Was_a_skeptic a Private Message
As I have said Numerous times . My sister didnt give this guy any info . He was someone random that my sister had called as she is into this kind stuff . I know for a fact my sister didnt give him any information . She had nothing to gain from it whatsoever .

I am still waiting for someone to tell me how this guy desribed so much . He had NO INFORMATION and he does this to numerous people .

I feel like im talking to the wall here .

As far as him not being rich.....I dont know what to tell you . I dontunderstand the sceince of it . What he tells you on the phone is almost what you are seeing thrue your own eyes .

As far as giving out his name..I seriously cosidered this but I think that the majority of you wouldnt tell the truth about it anyway if he did give you those kind of details becasue I dont think all of you can accept something like this .
From the exremely dumb responses I have had from some of you " Not all of you "

I just wanted to see if there was anyone here with a solid theory on this . One the would have sounded pheasable . But camera's in my house........My sister being in on it with a random person she met over the phone...come on people , what the hell did she have to gain Nothing ? SHe's not the type anyway . Besides , I refered him to someone he has doen that too as well and I had sauid nothing about her surroundings and yet he still done the same thing .

Its been real everyone .Take care and have a nice life .
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  09:08:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Was_a_skeptic

I feel like im talking to the wall here.

Was_a_skeptic, please understand we ARE skeptics. We want proof before we believe something. Your word is not sufficient. Please don't be offended. The word of God is not sufficient either.

Without a transcript or a recording (preferably both) you're not going to make any real progress here.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  09:15:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
I feel like im talking to the wall here.

Then why don't you give us the number so that we can check it out for ourselves? Then you'll get your answer. Geez.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  09:22:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Email me the phone number and the guys name. Naturaly, I want the first three minutes free. I am the default email address for the site so I am not hard to find. If you called Miss Cleo's number you were ripped off no matter what the psychic said because of the way they set up there phone deal. I will know. If you don't provide me with the number I will have to assume that your just full it. Anicdotal evidence does not cut it around here...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  10:31:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

I am still waiting for someone to tell me how this guy desribed so much . He had NO INFORMATION and he does this to numerous people .

Funny-- I was thinking the same thing!

quote:
As far as him not being rich.....I dont know what to tell you . I dontunderstand the sceince of it . What he tells you on the phone is almost what you are seeing thrue your own eyes .

As far as giving out his name..I seriously cosidered this but I think that the majority of you wouldnt tell the truth about it anyway if he did give you those kind of details becasue I dont think all of you can accept something like this .

I just wanted to see if there was anyone here with a solid theory on this . One the would have sounded pheasable . But camera's in my house........My sister being in on it with a random person she met over the phone...come on people , what the hell did she have to gain Nothing ? SHe's not the type anyway . Besides , I refered him to someone he has doen that too as well and I had sauid nothing about her surroundings and yet he still done the same thing .

Its been real everyone .Take care and have a nice life .

Again, it's not clear what you want us to say. Despite our suggestions-- from the plausible to the unfeasable-- you refuse to accept any of them. Indeed, it appears that the only satisfactory answer you'd like to hear from us is yes, Was_a_skeptic, it seems that you found yourself a real psychic.

But of course, if we did that, we wouldn't really be skeptics, now would we?

Perhaps it would be useful to review the thread thus far. You began by noting how you spoke to a psychic on the phone and how he seemed to be "90%" right in what he said. You asked for an explanation for how this could be. The initial replies were that this psychic was "cold reading"-- making educated guesses based on logical probabilities and taking cues from your replies. You rejected this almost out of hand, leaving us to come up with absurd possibilites. You also seem to have been unable to address some of the questions we've asked-- logically, if a person really could tell the future and really was clairvoyant, why would he be working at a desk somewhere taking phone calls from regular schmoes for free? Your best answer was that you don't "understand the science" of a psychic's powers (the irony of that comment was apparently lost on you).

And now you've brushed us off because we refuse to concede that you've found a person with real psychic powers. It's been real, alright, Was_a_skeptic. Enjoy your psychic friend, and remember to ask if you should take the Patriots minus the seven points so that you can get rich! Sucker.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 01/25/2005 11:29:38
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  11:05:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Was_a_skeptic, you tell us what you recall happened. You could be flat out lying to us, we can not dismiss this possibility. Or you could be distorting it, purposefully or not. You could have dropped hints you had no idea you were dropping.

In short, if you want an explaination, we are going to need an exact transcript or be able to talk to the guy himself.

Simply talking to you is not going to get your explaination.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  13:31:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Starmanwill you grade my cold reading of you from the last page, I want to know if im ready for Psi-balls yet.

quote:
Starman,
I see a disturbing lack of faith in you. While your family is mostly protestant you dismiss the spiritual and accept only what is in front of you. You are over 25, a reasonable weight and take vitamins and eat healty foods like strömming, even though you prefer the old fattening husmanskost to the newer types. I sense a history of alcoholism with some of the females in your family who is mostly native but part Finn. You voted against the adoption of the Euro. You feel the Monarchy is mostly pointless, yet harmless. You dont totally agree with the Social Democrats but generally support them. You like skiing, but prefer the warmer climate closer to home in the south where the trees have leaves. You work in the Engineering sector with a company who exports goods, around the world, you would prefer a different job, but arnt uncomfortable enough to actually go get one. You speak German, Swedish and English but never bothered with more than the commonly used Finnish words.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  06:01:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Starmanwill you grade my cold reading of you from the last page, I want to know if im ready for Psi-balls yet.

Starman,
I see a disturbing lack of faith in you. While your family is mostly protestant you dismiss the spiritual and accept only what is in front of you. You are over 25, a reasonable weight and take vitamins and eat healty foods like strömming, even though you prefer the old fattening husmanskost to the newer types. I sense a history of alcoholism with some of the females in your family who is mostly native but part Finn. You voted against the adoption of the Euro. You feel the Monarchy is mostly pointless, yet harmless. You dont totally agree with the Social Democrats but generally support them. You like skiing, but prefer the warmer climate closer to home in the south where the trees have leaves. You work in the Engineering sector with a company who exports goods, around the world, you would prefer a different job, but arnt uncomfortable enough to actually go get one. You speak German, Swedish and English but never bothered with more than the commonly used Finnish words.
I count it as 21 of 30 statements true, a 70 % hit rate.

Better than most psychos...
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  06:34:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

...the majority of you wouldnt tell the truth about it anyway if he did give you those kind of details becasue I dont think all of you can accept something like this .

I just wanted to see if there was anyone here with a solid theory on this ...
It goes like this
Evidence talks, anecdotes walks.

You have provided nothing.
The world is filled with idiots touting claims like this.

If you want to appear like something else you will have to do the work.

My guess, your sister got fed up with your objections and decided to see how gullible you were.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  12:42:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message

Im used to be just like you people when it came to this stuff until I spoke with this guy and 2 other woman .

Iwas awarded a bunch of free time on that Website [What website?] so I talked with I know 35 people and three seem[Seem was a good choice of word here] to be genuine . Not one claims to be 100% accurate .
And DUDE I see where your going with this but you still have yet to explain or anyone else for that matter has yet to explain how this guy knew what we all looked like[and you still have not responded to Dude's point]..how he described my sisters Living room in perfect detail[perfect if you ignore the 70% of the things he got wrong...which is my guess as to what really happened]....My cousins eye/hair color and the mole on her cheek[she unknowingly gave him info to work with...that's what they do].....My hair , facial features. Personal stuff I havent told anyone .
You guys are this skeptic becasue you have never talked with a REAL psychic .[No, the reason I am a skeptic involves a long journey of research and discovery...one of those discoveries is that REAL psychics do not exist..again my opinion] I was the same exact way .[I don't think you were skeptical enough]

can Anyone explain this ?
Remember the Guy knew nothing avout me and This info was given on free minutes..over the phone...not my phone ..he didnt have my name[Are you sure?]...I didnt tell him anything[Are you sure?]..ANd look at all the things he knew . [How do you know for a fact that he new nothing about you? He had already spoken with your SISTER and your COUSIN!]Next ! [I'm sorry but we are reaching a point here where I must question either your honesty or your ignorance. All we have so far is hearsay.]

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Baza

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  13:26:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baza a Private Message

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starman,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazing you got 14 out of 30 and I live in the UK!!!

Baza
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  21:30:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Was_a_skeptic, your name itself demonstrates a severe misunderstanding of what a skeptic is. By telling us that you're no longer a skeptic, you're telling us that you're no longer interested in an open-minded quest for truth based upon a rational, critical and logical examination of the evidence. The name you probably should have chosen is "Was_a_cynic," and it's clear from your posts that you were never a proper skeptic.

For example, you claim that many people you know have spoken to the alleged psychic, but when the suggestion is made that he knew all this stuff about you because the people you know have told him about you, you reject the notion out of hand. That's extremely narrow-minded of you. After all, the reports one hears from victims of cold readers don't often match what actually transpired. Sort of like this:
PSYCHIC: Is your father the one with the drinking problem?

CALLER: Uh, no...

PSYCHIC: Ah, it's your mother?

CALLER: Yes.
Later on, the caller tells his friends that the psychic knew his mom was a lush. But the psychic didn't know that, the psychic asked about it, on a typical fishing expedition in which his first guess was wrong.

And so similarly, I suspect that your family and friends told you all sorts of things that this psychic "told" them (when in reality, they told him), and from just a few clues which you didn't even realize you gave him, he could piece together who you are, and fed back to you all the stuff your family and friends told him about you and they.

I predict you will reject this possibility - despite the fact that you're not claiming the ability to read the minds of your friends and family, instead accepting their statements on faith - in true narrow-minded style, and in contrast to the real skeptics around here, who are willing to entertain both the idea that this psychic is real (which is why we want his name and number), and the idea that he's a fake and you've deluded yourself.

Really: who's more open-minded? You (who prejudicially claim that nobody will ever answer you to your satisfaction), or everyone else here (who are at least willing to look at several possible explanations, despite how "stupid" you think they are)?

In reality, it is you, Was_a_skeptic, who are afraid. You fear to be shown a fool in front of strangers, which is why you're insulting people who make an attempt at your impossible challenge, in typical schoolyard-bully style.

I, like Isaiah, bow down in sarcastic reverence before your imposing and irrefutable self.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  10:24:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Damn Im so stupid, you see this is why you need a professional cold reader. I totally forget my third peice of information I had, I knew he was a skeptic and from sweeden but I totally forgot your name, Starman. I would have added a few nifty lines about astronomy like

'You've never been able to afford the type of telescope you really wanted.'

Personalised and vague enough to cover any astronomy fan, because we all want bigger telescopes. Of course I know that you are a skeptic and astrology would not be the source of your name. Id say its about a 85% chance your name is based on astronmy fandom.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  01:09:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

'You've never been able to afford the type of telescope you really wanted.'
Personalised and vague enough to cover any astronomy fan, because we all want bigger telescopes.
Hard to deny this.
quote:
Of course I know that you are a skeptic and astrology would not be the source of your name. Id say its about a 85% chance your name is based on astronmy fandom.
Even though I am into astronomy and I started using this name on the BABB, its actually not.

Your initial guesses were quite good and in a verbal session you could have disguised your misses.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  09:29:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Yeah the whole native foods thing might have screwed me, but I was trying to be a lot more specific than, "You're having car troubles" LOL what an easy one.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.