Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  23:11:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
Mab,

Phelps is the whack job behind "God Hates Fags" website.
Holy Crap! You mean they are one and the same person?
I know about that Fred Phelps.

Ok it seems like I've made a mistake. Fred Williams is the name of the guy running the Evolution Fairytale Forum.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  03:39:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
For those unfamiliar with this wretched lunatic, here's something on Phelps:
quote:
Overview
Fred Phelps was born in Meridian, Mississippi. Phelps founded Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) in 1955. While running the church, Phelps also worked as an attorney defending the civil rights of African Americans being discriminated against in Kansas. Rev. Phelps alleges that his success resulted in animosity among the white legal establishment and his eventual disbarment by the Kansas Supreme Court for alleged ethical violations. (PDF file of Phelps's point of view on his disbarment (http://www.godhatesfags.com/fliers/feb2004/Monograph_2-14-2004.pdf))

One unauthorized biography alleges that the year after being disbarred, he continued to practice law in Federal Court before he was finally disbarred from that in 1989 as well, also for ethical violations. His final disbarment resulted from a plea deal through which the Federal Court would stop their disbarment hearings against the rest of his family.

In 1994, a reporter working for Stauffer Communications, Inc., filed a lawsuit about ownership of a book he had been researching for them, which details the life and activities of Phelps. Because the text of the book was entered as Exhibit A, the text became a public document, free to be spread. An anti-Phelps group in Topeka acquired the text, and began distributing it (it was later digitized). A link to one source of the text of this book is included below.

The distributed text describes Phelps as a ferocious child-beater and wife-beater. Most of these claims are endorsed by two of Phelps' sons, but are denied by their other siblings, who are not estranged from Phelps.

But there is more to Phelps than just fag-bashing, wife & child-beating, drug abuse and pissing off judges; much more.
quote:
Affiliation with Saddam Hussein
Before the fall of Saddam Hussein during the second Gulf War, Phelps wrote him a letter praising his regime, and received special permission from the Iraqi government to send a group of his children to Baghdad to protest against the American government.

Unlike many other, wussier bigots, it can never be said that Phelps is afraid to get his hands dirty.
quote:
America
Phelps and his congregants have been arrested an inumberable amount of times. Phelps himself was first arrested in 1951 and found guilty of misdemeanor battery after assaulting a police officer sent to remove him from a college campus in Pasadena for trespassing and disorderly conduct. He has since been arrested for assault, battery, threats, trespassing, disorderly conduct, contempt of court, and several other charges; each time, he has sued the city and arresting agency. Though he has been able to avoid prison time-- often on technicalities (he escaped an assault and battery charge because an appellate court ruled he didn't receive a speedy trial)-- he has been convicted numerous times:

1992: Disorderly conduct 1993: Disorderly conduct 1994: Contempt of court 1997: Two counts of disorderly conduct 1998: Disorderly conduct

Canada
Phelps and congregants have been arrested on numerous occasions in Canada for violation of that country's hate crime laws. On one occasion, the congregation had their signs confiscated by customs, and responded by going to the providence capital and burning and spitting on the Canadian flag, and threatening to urinate and defecate on it. Should Phelps ever try to enter Canada again, he will be arrested and tried for violation of hate crimes laws.

In his mid 70's, our Freddy still maimtains the image of a spry, old freak, but his health might be failing.
quote:
In Topeka, Kansas, there is much speculation regarding Phelps's health. He is reported to be suffering from an advanced form of cancer or Parkinson's Disease and has made few recent appearances. Recent photographs showing apparent partial facial paralysis suggest that he may have suffered a very mild stroke for which he was never hospitalized. Also, the length and incoherancy of many of his recent sermons, as well as a large number of bizarre claims (including "George Bush worships Mr. Peanut, whose name is the great God Goober"), suggest to many that he is suffering from Alzheimer's disease, senility, or has suffered brain damage due to his amphetamine and barbiturate addiction in the 1960s.

I've just quoted a few bits and pieces of the article, which covers Phelps in depth. It's worth a read in it's entirety.

Many thanks to Wikipedia for their excellent, on-line encylopedia.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  06:19:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
To complete the story: Here is the response I got from Fred Williams on my e-mail to him.

quote:
Fred williams e-mail
I didn't ban you (we have other Admins and Mods), but to be honest I recall
you were one of those skating on thin ice anyway. So one of our Admins
finding you there was probably the last crack in the ice that was enough to
send you through.

I don't know why you guys complain, there are plenty of other forums out
there for you to say your peace.

Fred

And my response to him:
quote:
response tomk80:
Skating on thin ice? Why? Where have I offending to other members on the forum, both creationist or evolutionist? Where have I been breaking forum rules?

I was not complaining but informing on the reason of suspension, as I didn't understand what that reason was. But, regarding the e-mail below, I do complain because I feel unjustly treated and feel that the reason for suspending me is not my behavior but stereotyping (a feeling which you confirm in your e-mail below). I can't stand such behavior, so I complain. There are indeed plenty of other forums, however, after feeling unjustly treated I will first appeal to the persons moderating a forum and see whether I can get some good reasons on which I have been suspended, reasons I can understand. Only after that I will move on. I have not come where I am today by letting others fool around with me, without trying to do something about it. If stereotyping is your last answer I'll have to leave it at that. But in my honest opinion, it is a very bad one.

regards,
Tom

edited to add:I haven't gotten a response on my last reply, nor do I think I will ever get one .

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Edited by - tomk80 on 02/24/2005 06:20:30
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  07:22:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Eh, the guy is just another dictator wannabe who has managed to take unto himself a scrap of petty authority in an insignificent corner of the 'net. And he apparently has some nicely Orwellian thought police to help him keep the sheep marching along without a lot of distracting and dangerous facts filling their little heads. We've seen it before; we'll see it all again. The woodwork's full of 'em.

A pity they won't come here.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  07:38:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
A forum where all dissent is banned will soon cease to function as a forum.

Fred Williams is a dishonest coward.
He as showed this in the past and will most likely do it in the future as well.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  08:40:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tomk80

To complete the story: Here is the response I got from Fred Williams on my e-mail to him.

quote:
Fred williams e-mail
I didn't ban you (we have other Admins and Mods), but to be honest I recall
you were one of those skating on thin ice anyway. So one of our Admins
finding you there was probably the last crack in the ice that was enough to
send you through.

I don't know why you guys complain, there are plenty of other forums out
there for you to say your peace.

Fred

What's hilarious about Fred's final parting shot is that on the forum itself, it reads "a place for honest, civil dialogue on origins."

Now it seems to me that since one of the main definitions of the word dialogue is "an exchange of ideas or opinions" then he'd want some evolutionists to come over and discuss things (provided, of course, they're friendly people, as Peptide and tomk80 are). So obviously, Fred's being un-Christian because he's a liar.

And, as has been noted, we'll see how long this lasts. The forum started in January of 2005-- just over a month ago. If there's nothing but fundies talking fundy origins, the forum will likely end up to be as vibrant as the old Skeptic Times forums were...
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  15:04:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist
And, as has been noted, we'll see how long this lasts. The forum started in January of 2005-- just over a month ago. If there's nothing but fundies talking fundy origins, the forum will likely end up to be as vibrant as the old Skeptic Times forums were...

The Skeptic Times forum got hit by a PHP virus and doesn't work functionally. Since I can't program in PHP, there's no chance of restoring it anytime soon.

This summer, when I don't have to worry about school I'll buy a new forum that is NOT PHP (as many php viruses spread around) reset it up. However, because I've noticed too much moderation at all forums I've been, the new forum will be called "The First Amendment Forum" where people can say whatever.

It will be a mess, but at the same time, free.

tk
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  15:34:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tkster

However, because I've noticed too much moderation at all forums I've been...
You think there's too much moderation on the SFN?!?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  17:31:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
The Skeptic Times forum got hit by a PHP virus and doesn't work functionally. Since I can't program in PHP, there's no chance of restoring it anytime soon.

This summer, when I don't have to worry about school I'll buy a new forum that is NOT PHP (as many php viruses spread around) reset it up. However, because I've noticed too much moderation at all forums I've been, the new forum will be called "The First Amendment Forum" where people can say whatever.

It will be a mess, but at the same time, free.

I was talking about the Skeptic Times before your conversion away from creationism. Remember-- when Kevkev or whoever it was entered a "debate" with Peptide? Most of the traffice there was centered around the debate. The rest of the site was just a few people-- all with admin powers-- talking about this-or-that. Towards the end-- before you shut it it down and re-vamped it-- Kil and Mab had more posts than anyone else.

All this isn't to cut down you or your site. It's just to show that a site dedicated to a monolithich cause wherein no contrary view is allowed becomes fairly dull (or Neo-Con Republican). My guess is that Fred's forums will also lack traffic because people who aren't sheep Christian fundamentalists will be banned.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  07:29:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Just last night I saw one of there Admins lock a thread because it was

quote:
...a bait thread. Not one made to be productive (as forum rules would state), but one to start an arguement.

The thread was on Geologic Time Scale. And they shut it down because they are a afraid of an arguement? What about a thread called The Moral Standard where the poster was calling people who support evolution amoral people? Isn't that a bait thread? They deffeintly had arguements there.

I have finally come to Kil's conclution, that site is a waste of time. Forcently I only wasted a few hours out of the last few days on it.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  09:17:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
I posted this on there site today. Dispite being civil I think I will be banded for it.

quote:
Obviously do waste my time.

The lock on the Geologic Time thread is said to be due to the fact it is a bait thread and not productive. But if you sucessfully agrue against it, it would go a long way to supporting YEC. And yet it is locked.

Then there is the Moral thread in the Creation vs Evolution folder, which looks like a big brawl about God and Morals, and has nothing to do with Creation vs Evolution, and is not productive to this discution, and yet it is unlocked and untouched.

I'm sorry, but I am seeing a double standared in the way this site is being monitored. I hope the admins and the owner of this site will rectify this in the future, and if not I hope the other users of this site do.

Peace

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  09:47:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I signed up for that board a while ago. I think I made one post, and then just abandoned it. But now when I try to view the forum, I get:

quote:
Sorry, you are not permitted to use this board

Someone said there was a banned member page? If someone has access, can you check the name Ricky or rshadarack (I foget which one I used).

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 02/25/2005 09:47:26
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  09:58:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I signed up for that board a while ago. I think I made one post, and then just abandoned it. But now when I try to view the forum, I get:

quote:
Sorry, you are not permitted to use this board

Someone said there was a banned member page? If someone has access, can you check the name Ricky or rshadarack (I foget which one I used).

You can look at the members list without being logged in, just click on members in the upper right. And yes, Ricky has been baned.

Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  10:41:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

However, because I've noticed too much moderation at all forums I've been...
You think there's too much moderation on the SFN?!?

No, but I don't spend much time here. The four main forums for debate have too much moderation, way too much.

tk
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  11:15:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

No, but I don't spend much time here. The four main forums for debate have too much moderation, way too much.
Which four are those?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.