Creation/Evolution
 Carl Baugh's credentials
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skiddum

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:23:58  Show Profile  Visit skiddum's Homepage  Send skiddum an AOL message Send skiddum a Private Message
I have done some work of my own on Carl Baugh. You can view my page on his credentials here:
link (plaza.ufl.edu/dmorgan/baugh.htm)

(please help me via google-bombing...just add a link to your page saying "Carl Baugh" that links to the above URL)

I wouldn't care so much about exposing this guy, but for the fact that he still appears on TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network) as an "expert" and touts ridiculous lies. I am a Christian, and it just plain old bothers me that people are being lied to by a hack like him. I have a friend who really admires the guy, calls him a genius all the time, and shows his hogwash videos at Bible Study groups because he really believes them. I so badly want to tell him all this stuff, but I am waiting until I put together the last pieces I am missing. I just can't believe this guy is still on the air. We have to make a rock-solid case to prove his misrepresentation and put it out there so people can see that he has lied.

You can review this and post anything you like, WITHOUT MODIFICATION, just please give me a reference (post my name in the ref section as having given you the info, and the URL).

I already wrote him with the info, so don't think this is "behind-the-back". He can feel free to email me any time. If I am wrong about anything, I will freely correct it. I am an honest man, although he may not like that much, and so I will put only the facts that can be substantiated on my own and any other webpage. Nothing that is verifiably wrong (or uncertain--unreferenced) will remain on this page. Conversely, nothing with good references will be removed without proof/evidence from his side.
[Moved to the Creation/Evolution folder, and edited to add links - Dave W.]

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:02:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Baugh's credentials are about the same as Hovind's -- nonexistant.
quote:

Carl Baugh
(b. ?) Carl Baugh is best known as a tireless proponent of the claim that human footprints appear alongside dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy Riverbed of Glen Rose, Texas. He has appeared on numerous Christian radio talkshows and was even touted as an "expert" on the 1996 NBC pseudoscience program, The Mysterious Origins of Man. He operates a small museum out of Glen Rose, Texas.
Baugh is a Baptist minister who claims to be an archeologist with a Ph.D. from the California Graduate School of Theology in Los Angeles. This school is unaccredited by the Western Assocation of Schools and Colleges, the primary body responsible for college and university accreditation in the region. It is also unaccredited by the state of California, although it is listed as "approved".

Baugh has also claimed Ph.D. degrees in education and anthropology from the Pacific College of Graduate Studies in Melbourne, Australia and the College of Advanced Education in Irving, Texas. According to Glen Kuban, who has thoroughly researched Baugh's Paluxy "man-track" claims and his credentials, neither Pacific College nor the College of Advanced Education is accredited or authorized by any regional or national body to grant degrees [4]. Pacific College is a small religious school run by Australian creationist Clifford Wilson, a close associate of Baugh's. The College of Advanced Education is a division of the International Baptist College, of which Baugh himself is president.

Baugh's dissertation for his degree from Pacific College is titled "Academic Justification for Voluntary Inclusion of Scientific Creation in Public Classroom Curricula, Supported by Evidence that Man and dinosaurs were Contemporary". Its contents include descriptions of his field-work on the Paluxy river "man-tracks", speculation about Charles Darwin's religious beliefs and phobias, and odd ramblings about the biblical Adam's mental excellence.

The man is one of the most fearsome creatures on earth: an idiot with a mouth.

Hi, skiddum. Welcome to SFN!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

David Mc
Skeptic Friend

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  11:14:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send David Mc a Private Message
Gotta go with Skid on this one. Give me an honest Atheist ANY day.

I don't suppose there were footprints next to the "D-bunny" too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:17:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by David Mc

well, actually, yes, there were but they were made by manticore.
quote:
Description
Physically, the manticore was known as having the body of a red lion, the face and ears of a blue eyes human and a tail ending in a sting like that of a scorpion. The mouth contains three rows of teeth and poisoned spines along the tail could be shot, like arrows in any direction. The manticore was also attributed with having a voice that was the mixture of pipes and a trumpet. The beast is very swift and makes very powerful leaps. The manticore is reputed to roam in the jungles of India, and is known to have an appetite for humans. Like its cousin, the Sphinx, it would often challenge its prey with riddles before killing.

Ya gotta really study this stuff if you want to know thw truth....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

David Mc
Skeptic Friend

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  13:45:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send David Mc a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

quote:
Description
Physically, the manticore was known as having the body of a red lion, the face and ears of a blue eyes human and a tail ending in a sting like that of a scorpion. The mouth contains three rows of teeth and poisoned spines along the tail could be shot, like arrows in any direction. The manticore was also attributed with having a voice that was the mixture of pipes and a trumpet. The beast is very swift and makes very powerful leaps. The manticore is reputed to roam in the jungles of India, and is known to have an appetite for humans. Like its cousin, the Sphinx, it would often challenge its prey with riddles before killing.

If I ever stop laughing I'm going to convert your butt to the faith you don't believe in.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  14:06:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Hmm a convert to all faiths at once, now that would be tricky.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  14:45:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Baugh is an obscene human being. His outright lies and fabricated nonsensical "man-track" are pure gibberish.

His credentials are equally fabricated. It's well known among those of us here (well, prob most of us) that Baugh's degree's are the kind that you or I or anyone else can get by spending $10 on a ink cartridge for your printer.

In short, the man is a total fraud. He exists ONLY to suck money from people like your friend, those easily duped (or possibly to stupid to see the lie).

So, please let me direct you to another excellent source of information concerning Mr Baugh's alleged degrees.
Carl Baugh's alleged degrees.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  15:08:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
No thanks, interesting article, but I don't like to that at my site. I'll deal with Baugh's science, not his credentials as I've spoken with him. He has a strawman waiting when you attack his credentials (ie: "Look people can only condemn my degree!").

Either way, his hyperbaric chamber was actually quite interesting. Though he's off in some areas, there's some good scientific things I learned when speaking to him.

tk
Edited by - tkster on 02/24/2005 15:09:47
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  17:47:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tkster

No thanks, interesting article, but I don't like to that at my site. I'll deal with Baugh's science, not his credentials as I've spoken with him. He has a strawman waiting when you attack his credentials (ie: "Look people can only condemn my degree!").

Either way, his hyperbaric chamber was actually quite interesting. Though he's off in some areas, there's some good scientific things I learned when speaking to him.

tk

For example?

I mean, the man is a young-earther with dubious credentials, who not only blithers to anyone he can get to stand still fot it about human/dino tracks together, but has the London Hammer on display, claiming that it came from strata thought ancient.

What of import can you learn from someone so untrustworthy?

Yeah, hyperbaric chambers are indeed interesting.... until you need one.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  10:31:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:
Description

http://mmadnd.chat.ru/MM00205.htm

I like this description better.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  10:33:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

tk

For example?

I mean, the man is a young-earther with dubious credentials, who not only blithers to anyone he can get to stand still fot it about human/dino tracks together, but has the London Hammer on display, claiming that it came from strata thought ancient.

What of import can you learn from someone so untrustworthy?

Yeah, hyperbaric chambers are indeed interesting.... until you need one.

Absolutely. The bends suck.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  10:46:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:
For example?

Actually he lives in East Texas which has a lot of mistletoe infection in its forrests. I was quite enamoured that East Texas was so forresty, however, he showed me how much of the area around the Pauluxy River had refrained from tree growth because of a great deal of mistletoe infestation.

West Texas is much more desert than they. In a sense, we exchanged our different climates as all Texans enjoy doing, quite fascinating.

(Also there is a cave in the Pauluxy River in some kind of "deep hole" where people swim, I found that place quite fascinating as well.

tk
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  13:10:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:
For example?

Actually he lives in East Texas which has a lot of mistletoe infection in its forrests. I was quite enamoured that East Texas was so forresty, however, he showed me how much of the area around the Pauluxy River had refrained from tree growth because of a great deal of mistletoe infestation.

West Texas is much more desert than they. In a sense, we exchanged our different climates as all Texans enjoy doing, quite fascinating.

(Also there is a cave in the Pauluxy River in some kind of "deep hole" where people swim, I found that place quite fascinating as well.

tk

The mistletoe infestation is interesting, surely. I didn't know about it and I now plan to take my girlfriend there next Christmas. But did he talk science...?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  20:10:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
A little more on Baugh. It seems that he is disowned even other Creationists.
quote:
Note : This web page was originally authored by Dr. Don Batten of Answers in Genesis (AIG), a sister group of the Creation Science Foundation. The purpose was to answer often-asked questions regarding the teachings of Carl Baugh, a strict creationist who is perhaps best known for his Paluxy "man track" claims. AIG and CSF had installed this page as part of their own web site, but was asked to remove it by Eden Films, another creationist group with whom they share web space. AIG and CSF feel it is important to continue making this site available to the public. Therefore, they have gratiously allowed me to include this page as part of my Paluxy web site, and to update portions of the text to reflect information made available since the original AIG page was created. I do not share the young-earth position of AIG and CSF, but applaud their courage and forthrightness in dealing frankly and publicly with the serious problems in Carl Baugh's work and claims. The main AIG web site still available at
http://www.christiananswers.net/aig/aighome.html

Readers are invited to contact me or Carl Kerby, administrator of the AIG web site, with any questions of comments. Thank you.

Glen J. Kuban
paleo@ix.netcom.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl Baugh's Teaching

Recently Carl Baugh has been given considerable television exposure by American tele-evangelist Kenneth Copeland, and also appeared on a widely viewed NBC TV program entitled "Mysterious Origins of Man." The Creation Science Foundation (CSF) has had many calls from people who have seen the shows and suspect that some things are not quite right about Baugh's teaching.

It is with heavy heart that we criticise others who are presenting themselves as spokesman for creationism, but who are doing damage to the cause of Christ through ill-founded claims.

Some of Carl Baugh's more outlandish claims, contained in his videotape Panorama of Creation, are as follows:

1. Before the Flood, the earth was surrounded by hydrogen which was so cold it was metallic and this collapsed when God shouted. This is nonsense. It is impossible that such a surrounding cloud of hydrogen could ever be cold enough, especially in such proximity to the earth.

2. People could hear the 'singing' of the stars before the Flood. Apparently the metallic hydrogen (which could not have existed) enabled this to happen.

3. People could 'feel' the time before the Flood.

4. People can affect radioactive decay rates with their minds. There is absolutely no evidence for this.

5. Eggs do not hatch outside the earth's magnetic field. Baugh claimed that NASA did an experiment demonstrating this. Absolute nonsense.

6. Granites (which contain radioactive elements) are not exploding because they are in 'perfect balance'. However, radioactive elements do not normally 'explode' of course - that requires very special conditions which are not easy to arrange (if it were otherwise, every terrorist group would have atomic bombs!). Even pure radioactive elements will not 'explode', so the fact that granite does not has nothing to do with 'perfect balance' of the granite.

7. He argues that, in some way, radioactive minerals align themselves with the magnetic field, which is nonsense.

8. He says that people were smarter before the Flood, attributing this to a supposedly higher oxygen pressure. There is absolutely no evidence that high oxygen levels would make people more intelligent. He talked nonsense about 'four molecules of oxygen', linking this to his subsequent theories about oxygen saturation. Furthermore, there is no basis for his extravagant claims about the curative effects of high oxygen pressures - if it worked as he claims, paraplegics would be lining up to be treated (many hospitals have suitable hyperbaric chambers).

I feel no nesd to comment further.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  08:10:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:
The mistletoe infestation is interesting, surely. I didn't know about it and I now plan to take my girlfriend there next Christmas. But did he talk science...

You're thinking origin science, I'm dealing with science in general. Dealing with differences of climate, river patterns, etc is science.

As for his origin views in science, that's baloney.

tk
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  11:41:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:
The mistletoe infestation is interesting, surely. I didn't know about it and I now plan to take my girlfriend there next Christmas. But did he talk science...

You're thinking origin science, I'm dealing with science in general. Dealing with differences of climate, river patterns, etc is science.

As for his origin views in science, that's baloney.

tk

It is indeed science, but it has been my experience that baloney spewed large on one topic easily signifies more baloney elsewhere. If I considered the topic of import, I'd look it up afterward. It is all too possible that his secular discussions are colored with 6 day creation, out-of-place fossils and so forth, beliefs.

Of course, I wasn't there taking part in the discourse and it could indeed have been accurate, scientific and naturalistic information. I dunno. But still... I would keep my bullshit detector turned on, just in case.

And yes, I have a nasty, suspicious mind, especally when it comes to people with a history of promoting blantant nonsense in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

Did you get to tour his little museum? That's something I'd like to do.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/27/2005 11:44:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.