Kinder, Gentler Tsunami God(s)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  13:53:48  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
"Baby 81" in Sri Lanka has been identified as the child of the couple most adamant he was theirs. News story
quote:
Jenita Jeyarajah has said that as soon as she regains custody of her baby, she will fulfill vows to smash 100 coconuts at a temple of the elephant-headed Hindu god, Ganesh, offer sweet rice to the warrior god, Murugan, and kill a rooster for the goddess Kali.
I guess it helps to pray to the right gods.

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  14:24:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Hey, at least she doesn't plan to sacrifice a virgin!

Despite their religious beliefs, I can't help but be glad these parents got their baby back.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  15:47:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

That would depend on if the rooster has had the opportunity to procreate first, or not...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  23:47:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Despite their religious beliefs, I can't help but be glad these parents got their baby back.

I am in no way putting down these people for their religious beliefs in case you misunderstood that. I am merely pointing out being Christian doesn't give one a monopoly on 'blessings'.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  07:55:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I am in no way putting down these people for their religious beliefs in case you misunderstood that. I am merely pointing out being Christian doesn't give one a monopoly on 'blessings'.

No, I gave you the benefit of the doubt there, beskeptigal. I have found you to be consistently kind and fair.

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  14:49:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

quote:

No, I gave you the benefit of the doubt there, beskeptigal. I have found you to be consistently kind and fair.

Why thank you. That's a nice compliment.
Go to Top of Page

jimrobb

38 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  22:48:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jimrobb's Homepage Send jimrobb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beskeptigal

Bekeptigal, you've got a great pen name! Agree strongly that Christian belief does not give one a monopoly on blessings. Jesus himself said that God sends rain (a good thing) on good and bad people alike! [Read for yourself] My belief is that God is not trying to limit good things, but rather, to broaden their reach to others.

Jim Robb
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  13:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jimrobb

quote:
Originally posted by Beskeptigal

Bekeptigal, you've got a great pen name! Agree strongly that Christian belief does not give one a monopoly on blessings. Jesus himself said that God sends rain (a good thing) on good and bad people alike! [Read for yourself] My belief is that God is not trying to limit good things, but rather, to broaden their reach to others.

And your point here is?

God blesses everyone?
God expects to convert these people?
God sends tsunami so he can take credit for returning one kid to one family?
Believing and being Christian offers no advantage in life?
None of this matters because Christians get some later promised reward while everyone else who just didn't buy it goes to hell?
Sinning doesn't matter as long as you believe because that gets you forgiven while living a very good life, always helping others doesn't matter because unless you believe, you get blamed for some ancestors' sins anyway?
Which then begs the question, how does the above premise equate to morality being the result of religion and without religion we'd all be out there killing each other?

I would go on but I know you prefer to ignore all this by some blanket claim of god has a plan but he hasn't let anyone in on it.

BTW, I'm one of those people that the more I read in the Bible, the more it is clear it is a pretty hateful self absorbed religion. The Bible is a record of myths that humans pass down from one generation to the next just as all religious texts and beliefs are. The god of the Bible is no more credible than the gods of Hinduism.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  13:09:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jimrobb

God sends rain (a good thing) on good and bad people alike! [Read for yourself] My belief is that God is not trying to limit good things, but rather, to broaden their reach to others.

So that's why Mark 16:16 says,
quote:
16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Go to Top of Page

questionit

21 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  22:11:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send questionit a Private Message

Wendy,

In a different culture, the parents of that child would have performed human sacrifice, burnt a bull, or joined a jihad to thank their God! I suppose rice for Ganesh is the best of all possibilities.... aside from thanking science for DNA testing in the first place!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  22:27:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by questionit

Wendy,

In a different culture, the parents of that child would have performed human sacrifice, burnt a bull, or joined a jihad to thank their God! I suppose rice for Ganesh is the best of all possibilities.... aside from thanking science for DNA testing in the first place!

????????? What is this comment supposed to mean? I don't get the point.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  09:29:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by questionit

Wendy,

quote:

????????? What is this comment supposed to mean? I don't get the point.

Thank goodness! I thought it was just me.

In a different culture, things would be different. Got it. Thanks for setting me straight on that, questionit.

-- Susan Ertz
Edited by - Wendy on 03/03/2005 09:31:49
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  14:45:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
It means it doesn't matter what religion the couple practiced.
Science is what got the job done, but superstition got the credit for it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.