Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 Nebra or Egyptian or Babylonian sky disc ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  13:26:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The whole point might be moot, anyway. It seems there is some doubt that this is a genuine, ancient artifact.
quote:
Ancient sky map or fake? German experts row over star disc

Luke Harding in Berlin
Tuesday March 1, 2005
The Guardian

One of Germany's most acclaimed archaeological finds - a 3,600-year-old disc depicting the stars and the planets - is at the centre of a dispute following claims that it is a modern forgery.
According to Germany's museum establishment, the Sky Disc of Nebra is the oldest depiction of the heavens discovered and offers an insight into the Bronze Age mind.

But the authenticity of the disc has been challenged by one of the country's leading archaeologists, Peter Schauer of Regensburg University. He told a court in Halle that the artefact was nothing more than an amateurish forgery.

If it indeed turns out to be forgery, well, let the games begin!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  12:13:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I see that at the Guardian, they've noted that some even wonder if the disk is real:
quote:
One of Germany's most acclaimed archaeological finds - a 3,600-year-old disc depicting the stars and the planets - is at the centre of a dispute following claims that it is a modern forgery.
Curiously, no mention of Egypt comes in. They do say that
quote:
[T]he authenticity of the disc has been challenged by one of the country's leading archaeologists, Peter Schauer of Regensburg University. He told a court in Halle that the artefact was nothing more than an amateurish forgery. . . "My colleagues don't want to believe it. But there is little doubt that the disc is a fake," he told the Guardian yesterday. "It looks very nice. It has the sky and the stars. You can even see the Pleiades. But I'm afraid it's a piece of fantasy."
There go those damned scholars talking about Pleiades again! Oh well...

Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  03:05:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
This a quote from the Guardian that Cune posted :
quote:
The indentations on the disc's side, meanwhile, were also not made by a Bronze Age tool but were done by machine, he said.

If this is the criteria in which an object is authenitated then off course this makes complete sense.

I posted some more info on another forum which I am supplying the link for here if youīre interested in the link between the constellation of Leo and Egypt.
http://focusmag.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/8506071562/m/5881022201/r/4411034111#4411034111

'We're all in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars'
Oscar Wilde

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/freeflowpyramids/
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  05:49:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by serendipitypublishing

quote:
The indentations on the disc's side, meanwhile, were also not made by a Bronze Age tool but were done by machine, he said.

If this is the criteria in which an object is authenitated then off course this makes complete sense.

Why?

quote:
I posted some more info on another forum which I am supplying the link for here if youīre interested in the link between the constellation of Leo and Egypt.
http://focusmag.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/8506071562/m/5881022201/r/4411034111#4411034111

Now, if only those constellations on the disk actualy looked like Leo, Virgo, and Libra, you might actually have a real conicidence!
Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  08:15:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why?

If itīs a disc made for use in Nebra then it would probably have been made with bronze age tools. However, if it is not a disc made in Nebra but Egypt it would not have been made using Egyptian techniques. I would say that the Egyptians were advanced in their knowledge of metal and stone craft. But thatīs just a guess. Did they use machines of some sort ?
So perhaps the outcome of the trial will show that the artefact is in fact ancient but not from Nebra assuming the basis for their arguement isnīt just whether ot not it is made with bronze age tools.

quote:
Now, if only those constellations on the disk actualy looked like Leo, Virgo, and Libra, you might actually have a real conicidence!

I still think that the Discīs Leo looks like Leo and the discīs Libra looks like Libra. Iīm not so convinced about Virgo. But then I think the disc is more for decorative use than anything else.

I think weīll have to agree to disagree. Cune, If you hear anything about the result of the trial of the Nebra disc I would be interested to know. Likewise Iīll post it. Thanks.

Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  08:25:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
If itīs a disc made for use in Nebra then it would probably have been made with bronze age tools. However, if it is not a disc made in Nebra but Egypt it would not have been made using Egyptian techniques. I would say that the Egyptians were advanced in their knowledge of metal and stone craft. But thatīs just a guess. Did they use machines of some sort?

No, the Egyptians were not using machines to cast or work metal objects.

Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  10:21:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
quote:
No, the Egyptians were not using machines to cast or work metal objects

Then I guess it belongs to the lost civilization. Which is what I wanted it to be. The Civilization that built the pyramids !

Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  11:07:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:

quote:
No, the Egyptians were not using machines to cast or work metal objects

Then I guess it belongs to the lost civilization. Which is what I wanted it to be. The Civilization that built the pyramids !

Again you are putting the results you want before the evidence. If there is evidence that the disk was machined out, then it is most likely that it was made very recently. Your hope for a lost civilization doesn't hold up with this new piece of evidence.

Somehow I think you will even find a way to link it to your lost civilization even if it ends up dated being 100 years old, which in my mind would be the final piece of evidence that this disk is a forgery.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  11:18:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Paulos: note winky smiley. SP is letting us know the "lost civilization" bit is a put-on.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  14:36:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Paulos: note winky smiley. SP is letting us know the "lost civilization" bit is a put-on.

Opps, my bad. Sorry Serendipity. Guess I have been reading to many Latin posts.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  17:19:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

At least, Dave, we hope he's kidding!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.