Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  13:20:13  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
Why the "skeptics always act as the believers forums?

Just because their idols are made of shit?

Father of the new skepticism

Cuneiformist "But yeah, I'm sick of latinijral. And his "new "skepticism"!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  13:26:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Ah, good, you started a new thread. Let's hope it's more coherent than the last one. Of course, you're not off to a good start when the only reason you seem to have started this one is to insult people.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  13:33:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Ah, good, you started a new thread. Let's hope it's more coherent than the last one. Of course, you're not off to a good start when the only reason you seem to have started this one is to insult people.

Then you are the one who thinks what coherent is?
Or you are just afraid to face the truth about your idols?

I hope it is not an insult to you.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  13:45:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by latinijral

quote:

Since you have provided no modicum of proof for your facts(tm) and decided only to deride those who disagree with you, your premise suffers from subverted support.

Why are you so afraid to face reality on your crusade against Randi and those who disagree with you?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  13:46:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
When people can't understand you, when your arguments don't make sense, when you make claims which you can't back up, you are by definition, incoherent.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  13:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

quote:

Since you have provided no modicum of proof for your facts(tm) and decided only to deride those who disagree with you, your premise suffers from subverted support.

Why are you so afraid to face reality on your crusade against Randi and those who disagree with you?

That is your opinion based in your beliefs and fanatism.
The evidence is there.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  13:50:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The evidence is there.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  13:53:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The evidence is there.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Touche

Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  14:24:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message
From a believer, latinijral back it up or shut up!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  14:25:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Yeah, being an admin here, I get to draw that line. You'll notice that you have not been banned, nor have I closed this thread.
quote:
What truth? That they are human beings, and thus not perfect? I faced that truth back when I was a child. Big deal, get over it.

Now, if you could, for example, offer evidence which showed that James Randi hands over money to Sylvia Browne on a regular basis, you might have something. But miscommunications between JREF staff and Carlos don't rise to anything more than mistakes, at worst (and on both sides). And the deal with MoeFaux has been so well-publicized among thousands of JREF supporters that if there's anything to it, the IRS will be investigating soon.

So, what would you have us do, anyway? Let's say, for the sake of argument, that every bad thing you've heard about Randi is true. While we might desire a less-dispicable character as a skeptical "leader" (and there are plenty more to choose from), him being a crappy guy in no way lessens the import of what he's trying to do. And it certainly doesn't reflect badly upon us, who are completely independent of Randi.

So again, what would you have us do?
quote:
Your implication that everyone here bows and scrapes for James Randi is what is insulting. We're not a bunch of mindless adoring fans of Randi, but instead mostly people who carefully consider what the guy has to say before either agreeing with it or not (as does, indeed, happen). If you can't tell the difference, the problem is yours, and not ours.

And insulting us doesn't make it our problem, either. It only makes you a problem.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  14:35:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Yeah, being an admin here, I get to draw that line. You'll notice that you have not been banned, nor have I closed this thread.
quote:
What truth? That they are human beings, and thus not perfect? I faced that truth back when I was a child. Big deal, get over it.

Now, if you could, for example, offer evidence which showed that James Randi hands over money to Sylvia Browne on a regular basis, you might have something. But miscommunications between JREF staff and Carlos don't rise to anything more than mistakes, at worst (and on both sides). And the deal with MoeFaux has been so well-publicized among thousands of JREF supporters that if there's anything to it, the IRS will be investigating soon.

So, what would you have us do, anyway? Let's say, for the sake of argument, that every bad thing you've heard about Randi is true. While we might desire a less-dispicable character as a skeptical "leader" (and there are plenty more to choose from), him being a crappy guy in no way lessens the import of what he's trying to do. And it certainly doesn't reflect badly upon us, who are completely independent of Randi.

So again, what would you have us do?
quote:
Your implication that everyone here bows and scrapes for James Randi is what is insulting. We're not a bunch of mindless adoring fans of Randi, but instead mostly people who carefully consider what the guy has to say before either agreeing with it or not (as does, indeed, happen). If you can't tell the difference, the problem is yours, and not ours.

And insulting us doesn't make it our problem, either. It only makes you a problem.

Are you another one who is using Carlos as your excuse?

Who the hell told you I came here to write about Carlos?
Read again the OP of the thread you locked .
If Randi , Linda or kramer don't have any evidence of why they gave the $5000 to Moefoe is not my fault.
They changed the rules of the scoolarship AFTER they gave the money.
That is a fact.

Now if you want to talk about Carlos , it is your problem , not mine.
Are you afraid to be on topic?

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  15:22:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Read again the OP of the thread you locked .

Read the last post, the admins/moderators do that to every thread that becomes too long here.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  17:19:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
What the hell is he on about, now?

Who got banned? What closed thread?

Why am I getting involved in this?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  17:47:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Why am I getting involved in this?

Filthy and Moefox, sitting in a tree...

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  17:50:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Playing word games with us in this matter is insulting!
You're whining like child. Get over it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  18:35:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

quote:

Playing word games with us in this matter is insulting!
You're whining like child. Get over it.

Are you Dave's sock puppet?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.