Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  18:27:58  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
To continue a sidetrack from this thread...

I heard rumours that Tom Hanks bought the rights for a movie.
So... I started to think about what actors they should have:

These are my nominations:

Langdon: Well, I guess since it's Tom Hanks' movie, he'll play the lead.
Sofie: Helen Hunt
Saunière: Patric Stewart (He'll have to play both middle-aged and old, can't have someone too old nor too young, and he needs to speak French)
Cpt. Bezu Fache, DCPJ: John Malkovic
Sir Leigh Teabing: Robbie Coltrane
Silas, the Albino: Gary Busey
Bishop Aringarosa: Nickolas Grace (I had other ideas, like Christopher Plummer, and some others, but settled on N. Grace. Not too high profile actor.)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  18:36:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Well, so far on IMDB they only have three roles cast. Tom Hanks is indeed Langdon. Jean Reno (Of The Professional) is going to play Bezu Fache, which is perfect casting IMO. And someone by the name of Audrey Tautou will be Sophie Neveu. Looking at her filmography, she is a french actress and I am not familiar with her work.

For my picks...

Saunière: Sean Connery
Sir Leigh Teabing: Richard Simmons
Silas, the Albino: The Rock

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  19:24:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert
Jean Reno (Of The Professional) is going to play Bezu Fache, which is perfect casting IMO.
I disagree, I still think John Malcovich should be Fache. In Le Miserables he played a French authority-figure very convincingly. I would reserve Jean Reno for another character, one of Fache's lieutenants, or Teabing's butler.
quote:
And someone by the name of Audrey Tautou will be Sophie Neveu.

Ah, the lead from "Amelie from Montmartre". A great movie. Underestimated by the audience who have been force-fed Hollywood crap for too long. She's a great actor. (And cute too)
quote:

Looking at her filmography, she is a french actress and I am not familiar with her work.
Her most recently released movie is nominated for several awards "over here" in Europe.
Colour her hair red, and I can easily picture her as Sofie.

Edited to add: Who is Richard Simmons?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 02/18/2005 19:26:47
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  16:00:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Speaking of the da Vinci Code....
quote:
"Leonardo is misrepresented and belittled," Mr. Vezzosi said in a telephone interview hours before the event began. "His importance is misunderstood. He was a man full of fantasy, inventions and genius."

Mr. Vezzosi said he would produce evidence through 120 photographs based on documents and paintings with the aim of "reassessing and disclaiming the author" of the book, Dan Brown. Mr. Vezzosi said one example of the mistakes contained in the book is the statement that the Mona Lisa was made in Leonardo's image.

Several of the book's plot twists have provoked unprecedented protest among Roman Catholic and Protestant conservatives, who contended that the characters maligned Christianity and inaccurately characterized its history.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  06:48:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
In my humble opinion, Tom Hanks is a bad choice for Langdon, even though he's a great actor, but hey.

Bishop Aringarosa: Joaquin Phoenix (from The Village). Yes. I know he's probably too young, but I think he's up for the task.
Silas: most definately The Rock! Adorable giant, I say. I loved Silas. He's so cute and psycho <3

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 02/21/2005 04:19:53
Go to Top of Page

sumnihil

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  00:03:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sumnihil a Private Message
what an awkward forum to begin posting here at sfn, but i am hesitant to add to the other forums yet, as i have not finished perusing, and i hate above all someone who rehashes ideas already put forth in a given forum.

having gotten my too lengthy preamble out of the way, i would like to put forth the name of bill fagerbakke (of "coach" fame) for the role of silas. he has proven several times his ability to play the less-than-brilliant giant type ("the stand" comes to mind), and i feel he could pull off silas's innocence and his evil.

oh, and yes, i did have to go to imdb.com to get bill's real name. i felt it would be innapropriate in a forum dedicated to the love of fact to allude to him as "dauber from coach. c'mon, you remember, the dumb jock guy. yeah, him!"

all great truths began as blasphemies.
--g.b. shaw

yes, i am aware that i do not use capital letters. it is discrimination, and discrimination is wrong. period.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  00:56:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Hello Sumnihil, and welcome to Skeptic Friends Network!

I browsed the IMDB for Bill, but I can't put a face to the name. I put Gary Busey's name there on a whim.

Siberia, your idea of putting Joaquin Phoenix as Bishop Aringarosa isn't bad at all. But that would mean we have to get a slightly younger Silas, as the age difference shouldn't be too big. Aringarosa should be able to pass for a father-substitute for Silas, and that would work poorly if Silas is older. Same age: that would work if Joaquin could give his character enough of an air of authority.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sumnihil

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  01:55:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sumnihil a Private Message
thank you for the welcome.

here is a picture of bill in the role of "tom" in the movie "the stand."

the look on his face right there is as good a reason as any to cast him as silus. though, gary busey does have the advantage of actually being out of his mind.

all great truths began as blasphemies.
--g.b. shaw

yes, i am aware that i do not use capital letters. it is discrimination, and discrimination is wrong. period.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  06:18:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
quote:
And someone by the name of Audrey Tautou will be Sophie Neveu.

Ah, the lead from "Amelie from Montmartre". A great movie. Underestimated by the audience who have been force-fed Hollywood crap for too long. She's a great actor. (And cute too)
quote:

Looking at her filmography, she is a french actress and I am not familiar with her work.
Her most recently released movie is nominated for several awards "over here" in Europe.
Colour her hair red, and I can easily picture her as Sofie.

Just butting in here to say that 'amelie' is a must see for everyone. Oh yeah, and to be seen in French of course. IMO it's one of the best movies released in the last few years.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  14:21:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I've reconsidered my casting of Bishop Aringarosa.
Obviously, it should have been Tim Curry.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  19:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
The name of "Da Vinci" was "Leonardo". "Vinci" was the town or city where he was a PROMINENT citizen. He was THE "Leonardo" of the CITY/TOWN of "Vinci."

I just thought that people ought to know that "Vinci" was not a real part of Leonardo's name but only the place where he lived as a very prominent (UPPER CLASS) citizen.

WHATEVER...

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  19:23:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ljbrs

The name of "Da Vinci" was "Leonardo". "Vinci" was the town or city where he was a PROMINENT citizen. He was THE "Leonardo" of the CITY/TOWN of "Vinci."

I just thought that people ought to know that "Vinci" was not a real part of Leonardo's name but only the place where he lived as a very prominent (UPPER CLASS) citizen.

WHATEVER...

ljbrs

Yes, Leonardo of Vinci. But still, how is that not part of his name? It identifies him. In medieval times it was Robert the Smith. Now the same man would just go by "Robert Smith." Locations and occuaptions have long been incorporated into people's names in order to distinguish individuals. I supposed "of Vinci" is as close to a last name as we have in this case. I don't see why it should be treated any differently than a name, anyway.

Not really arguing, just thinking aloud. Perhaps there is a definitive way of thinking about this?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 03/24/2005 19:23:54
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  08:50:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ljbrs

Sure. Jesus Christ is a similar example. Christ is a title. It would be more correct to say "Jesus the Christ" or "Christ Jesus", but we usually don't.

quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Yes, Leonardo of Vinci. But still, how is that not part of his name? It identifies him.

Yep. Jesus is also commonly referred to as "Jesus of Nazarath". Not his name either, but still an identifier.

I think librs is pointing out that (unlike the aforementioned Jesus handles) most people don't realize the origin of Leonardo's name - as evidenced by the name of the book - The Of Vinci Code.

All that having been said, I like George Clooney for Langdon. I know, I know, it's a Tom Hanks movie, but I can dream.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I've reconsidered my casting of Bishop Aringarosa.
Obviously, it should have been Tim Curry.

You are so right!

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  12:30:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Wendy:

Thanks.

I just thought that it was important to understand the naming system for prominent people in Italy during Leonardo's time. Ignorance was NEVER bliss. My M.A. degree was in "Humanities" and I will go with the ideas of my professors and of my late historian brother.

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  13:09:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
For those who never heard of Richard Simmons, this is a funny clip of Richard on the show Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  13:19:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
ljbrs, thanks for bumping the thread. It reminded me that Internet Movie Database has a preliminary casting now for the movie:

Robert Langdon - Tom Hanks
Sophie Neveu - Audrey Tautou
Sir Leigh Teabing - Ian McKellen
Bishop Aringarosa - Alfred Molina
Bezu Fache - Jean Reno
Silas - Paul Bettany

I think that is a very good, and competent cast. Especially for Silas since he should really be that much younger than Bishop Aringarosa. That was one of the things that didn't feel right when I picked Gary Busey as Silas.

My girlfriend suggested Russel Crow or George Clooney as Robert Langdon.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.