Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  13:19:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
holy crap.... that is far to funny.

I'm cryin.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

sammyraya

1 Post

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  11:29:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sammyraya a Private Message
okay, so i know its a small issue....but Sophie Neveu is supposed to have red hair. its kind of a big deal at the end of the book. Audrey tautou may be a great french actress (i have no idea i've never seen anything by her) but she's brunette....and it worries me. If the makes of of this movie think its okay to alter this small (yet significant) detail.....what else will they think its okay to change?

and seriously...common, when you are spending 6 million on rights alone...how much difference could a little hair dye make?

~sam
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  12:06:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Welcome, sammyraya!

Well, I hope they pay enough attention to detail to fix the colour of her hair. They just set up the movie on the theater where I live, but first out is Mission: Impossible III. The Da Vinci Code is on for next weekend.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  13:23:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
On a lighter note, the inevitable is coming to pass:
quote:
Christians Plan Boycott of 'Da Vinci Code'

by Robert B. Bluey
Posted May 04, 2006

Christian activists are planning a boycott of the soon-to-be-released Da Vinci Code movie, which one influential pro-family group is calling “blasphemous.”

Dr. Ted Baehr, founder and publisher of Movieguide.org and chairman of the Christian Film & Television Commission, is asking Christians to sign a petition condemning the movie. The petition accuses Sony Pictures, Imagine Entertainment, director Ron Howard and actor Tom Hanks of supporting a film that is offensive to Christians.

The movie, according to Baehr, is “fraught with misconceptions and blatantly false claims about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the history of Christianity, and the Catholic Church.”

This isn't the first time Dan Brown's work has come under attack from Christians. Last week a top official at the Vatican asked Catholics to boycott the movie. And in anticipation of the May 19 movie, David Balsinger has produced his own film called The Da Vinci Code Deception, which purports to debunk “Brown's outrageous lies about Jesus Christ and His Church.”

Movieguide.org was created by Baehr to help families make decisions about movies and other forms of entertainment. The organization critiques movies, as it has done with a white paper on The Da Vinci Code, and pressures media executives to offer pro-family entertainment options.

There follows an open letter aimed at anyone who'll wipe the drool off his/her chin and take it seriously.

Welcome to SFN, sammyraya!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  14:01:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
The poor persecuted christians...you'd think they could recognize and handle works of fiction better...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  14:05:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
The movie, according to Baehr, is “fraught with misconceptions and blatantly false claims about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the history of Christianity, and the Catholic Church.”

No shit! I suppose that is why the book is located in the fiction isle of the library.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  16:22:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

The poor persecuted christians...you'd think they could recognize and handle works of fiction better...

Don't hold your breath... If they cannot realize that the Bible is fiction, you'll never know where they would draw the line.
I had a coworker once who thought Murder on the Orient Express was popularized documentary describing a real event.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  17:56:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Do you think we should try to pass a law so that the movie has to be taught in Sunday-school?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  18:03:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

Do you think we should try to pass a law so that the movie has to be taught in Sunday-school?

So, you wouldn't be saying that as an alternate "theory" to the New Testament, the courts should be used to force christians to learn about it, even though it is work of fiction and has no evidence to back it up?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  18:26:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Well, so far on IMDB they only have three roles cast. Tom Hanks is indeed Langdon. Jean Reno (Of The Professional) is going to play Bezu Fache, which is perfect casting IMO. And someone by the name of Audrey Tautou will be Sophie Neveu. Looking at her filmography, she is a french actress and I am not familiar with her work.

For my picks...

Sauničre: Sean Connery
Sir Leigh Teabing: Richard Simmons
Silas, the Albino: The Rock

Audrey Tautou is a great french actress. And yes, she would be a great Sophie.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  18:41:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
And now it is time for me to express my beef with Dan Brown.

I think it started when I read the book Angels And Demons when I first read it, I enjoyed it. It was good. It seemed like a book involved some interesting history and science.
Then the ridiculous misinformation of science started to appear.
Then the vilification of science.
Then there was the heartless, atheist scientist.
And from there it just got worse.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  00:27:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor

And now it is time for me to express my beef with Dan Brown.

I think it started when I read the book Angels And Demons when I first read it, I enjoyed it. It was good. It seemed like a book involved some interesting history and science.
Then the ridiculous misinformation of science started to appear.
Then the vilification of science.
Then there was the heartless, atheist scientist.
And from there it just got worse.

I posted something about this on Skepchick in a DaVinci thread there. I was disgusted with the stupid rant by the acting Pope guy. He makes one absurd declaration after another taken for granted as fact. Science is not only immoral, it was represented by a sadistic rapist serial murderer no less.

Of course you don't hear the church people complaining about their representation in Angels and Demons.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  08:18:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy...

On a lighter note, the inevitable is coming to pass [Christians Plan Boycott of 'Da Vinci Code']:
And now they want to initiate some sort of legal action? I'm offended. I'll sue, I'll sue! Sheesh, what a bunch of overly sensitive babies those Christians are.
quote Reuters:
Cardinal Urges Legal Action Against Da Vinci Code

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - In the latest Vatican broadside against "The Da Vinci Code", a leading cardinal says Christians should respond to the book and film with legal action because both offend Christ and the Church he founded.

[...]

"Christians must not just sit back and say it is enough for us to forgive and to forget," [Cardinal Francis] Arinze said in the documentary made by Rome film maker Mario Biasetti for Rome Reports, a Catholic film agency specializing in religious affairs.

"Sometimes it is our duty to do something practical. So it is not I who will tell all Christians what to do but some know legal means which can be taken in order to get the other person to respect the rights of others," Arinze said.
Of course the threat of eternal damnation only works to control those within the Christian cult. For those outside, they'll have to whip up a lawsuit or two... force us to respect them... or else! Okay, okay, I'm sure they're not all that way. But it is a darn shame that 99% of the Christians make the rest of them look so stupid.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  12:45:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
I don't mind any boycotts or pamphlets being handed out (this is America), but if they want to take legal action they are going too far. If christians want to force this not to be shown, then christians need to be prepared for legal action for us not to be able to worship Jesus.

I am almost through the book myself and it is a page turner. But nothing in the book is new. It is just old conspiracy theories rewritten. The real controversy is not that Jesus was married but that the author claims Jesus was not God.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  13:48:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Robb wrote:
quote:
I am almost through the book myself and it is a page turner. But nothing in the book is new. It is just old conspiracy theories rewritten. The real controversy is not that Jesus was married but that the author claims Jesus was not God.
I'm reading the book, too. Paranoid conspiracy theories may make terrible nonfiction, but in the hands of a good storyteller like Dan Brown, they can be molded into some really great suspense fiction.

Cardinal Francis should be ashamed of himself for advocating legal action to block billions of people from viewing a work of fiction. Considering the sort of fables and myths his own religion is based upon, this is laughable hypocrisy.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.