Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  03:03:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Here's a little more on Christian reactions to the film. They seem to range from knee-jerk hysterics and histrionics to threats of legal action, to some pretty thoughtful ideas over it. Even the Muslims have tossed in their 2 cents.

Quite frankly, I don't understand why fictional works such as this arouse such ire. It seems silly that so much time and rhetoric is wasted over something of so little, actual account. Do that many feel so insecure in their various faiths that they see mere books by formerly obscure authors as some sort of threat to that which can't be taken away from them in the first place?

It makes no sense to me.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  05:48:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by byhisgrace88...

I believe that this is in God's perfect plan, and it can't touch the sovereign will of God for his people.
Which was immediately followed by...
quote:
Though that being said, I believe that Christians can lose faith through it, and non-christians will be turned off to christianity by it, which is something that I personally see as truly dangerous.
That has to be one of the most ridiculous adjacent pair of sentences I've ever seen on this forum, or possibly any other for that matter. You believe your bogeyman has a perfect plan which can't be altered. You also believe that plan is in some danger of being altered. If you ever wonder why some people think Christians have a moronic belief system, just go re-read what you wrote above.

The danger lies in the fact that some people can be so deeply indoctrinated into a set of superstitions in which such raw stupidity could pass for reality. Avoiding or leaving your cult isn't dangerous. Being a member of it is.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  12:47:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
In a couple of months nobody will care about this movie.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  16:06:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

Perhaps, but I think it'll take a bit longer than that to die out. I expect that it'll enjoy at least decent DVD sales.

I'm gonna start the book tomorrow.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  22:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

Not me! I'm waiting for it to be on TV, I refuse to pay $4 to see a movie. I think it's going to take about 2 years for it to be on TV. So I won't forget.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  07:33:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message

Huh? The ticket price is Sweden translates to ~$12.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  07:38:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Matinee prices in the US are around $4, standard prices (at least where I live) are $7.00. Of course, this does not include any life-shortening snacks and/or beverages.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  08:39:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Matinee prices in the US are around $4, standard prices (at least where I live) are $7.00. Of course, this does not include any life-shortening snacks and/or beverages.

Where I live it varies. I have seen a $4 Matinee, as well as a $6. I have also paid as much ast 9.50 to see a movie. Not $10 yet, but it is coming.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  11:36:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The Idiot Express is now loading in New Delhi, India, heigh-ho....
quote:
Some Indians want 'Da Vinci' banned, one offers bounty for author

Anto Akkara
New Delhi (ENI). Some Indian Christians are so incensed with the fictional blockbuster "The Da Vinci Code" they want the government to ban it and one Roman Catholic has offered a bounty of US$25 000 on the head of author Dan Brown, leaving other members of the faithful embarrassed by the reaction.

The Mumbai Catholic Council has threatened to stop the screening of the movie if the government fails to ban the recently released movie of the book. Another group called the Catholic Social Forum has said if the shows go ahead it will launch a death fast from 12 May.

Nicolas Almeida, a Catholic and former Mumbai municipal councillor, offered a reward of 1.1 million rupees ($25 000) for the head of author Brown, leading a Catholic journalist to compare Almeida to the Taliban.

..... with stops throughout Christendom; alllll aboard...!

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/23/2006 11:43:24
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  17:49:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Where I live it varies. I have seen a $4 Matinee, as well as a $6. I have also paid as much ast 9.50 to see a movie. Not $10 yet, but it is coming.

Well, here in Oz you're looking at around $15 for a regular adult ticket. (I just checked for online ordering for a midday show of the DaVinci Code, today.). That's around US$11.25 at todays conversion rate.

Of course, you can round it up to about $250 if you want popcorn and a coke.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  23:09:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

I haven't the foggiest idea what movies cost now. The last time I paid to see one the cost was, I believe $3.50, and that was...really can't remember but maybe 10 years ago. I figure the price has gone up a bit since then. And some time ago, maybe a year or more, I heard that regular ticket prices were about $10 but now I don't know AND don't want to find out. I used to pay .25 cents, and then $1.50 some years later so anything over $3 is outrageous.
How DO people afford to go anywhere? Guess I could afford to see a movie once in a while but then I wouldn't be able to afford being on the Internet. LOL, guess there are some who would like that.
I've been boycotting the post office since they raised the price of a stamp from 5 cents, so why not boycott over priced movies too?
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  23:21:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Quite frankly, I don't understand why fictional works such as this arouse such ire. It seems silly that so much time and rhetoric is wasted over something of so little, actual account. Do that many feel so insecure in their various faiths that they see mere books by formerly obscure authors as some sort of threat to that which can't be taken away from them in the first place?

It makes no sense to me.....

Well, you know, everything comes down to money and power. Let me explain:
It's ALL Hype!
start a rumor, innocent morons start to listen and the ball gets rolling. Funny how that court case came up just at the right time, don't you think? I wonder if the producers paid people to sue, just for publicity. Just a thought!
It's not just this movie, can we go anywhere without having advertizing in our face. Everything is plastic. Every event is planned. And because you all are talking about it gives it 'importance', a life of it's own.
Go out and live your own life. Don't pay attention to what's beyond your control. Don't waste your time.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  03:10:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Heh, t'would appear that Dan Brown is no longer alone in dropping burdocks in amongst the delicate, Christian unmentionables. Madonna, who is an old hand at it, managed to inspire considerable apoplexy when she kicked off her latest tour.
quote:
The Church of England has criticised Madonna's appearance on a cross to kick off her latest tour in Los Angeles.

"Why would someone with so much talent seem to feel the need to promote herself by offending so many people?" said the Church in a statement.

Madonna performed the ballad Live To Tell while suspended from a giant mirrored cross on the opening night.

David Muir of the Evangelical Alliance also accused the singer of "blatant insensitivity".

"Madonna's use of Christian imagery is an abuse and it is dangerous," he said.

Churchy, Churchy, Churchy...., when are you gonna learn? The more you bitch and piss and moan over these things, the more attractive you make them. It is you and you alone, who are responsible for the overwhelming sales and box office receipts so easily garnered by authors and performers who dabble in minor blasphemies. And make yourself look like an utter ass while you're about it.

Sit down Churchy, and listen to your old, uncle Filth: all you've got to do is simply keep your foolish gob shut and the whole thing will quietly run it's brief course and go away. These people are only a threat to you if you make them one, and then only in your imagination.

Remember Satanic Verses, Churchy? That one would scarcely have made an Amazon review but for some Muslim lunatic whose name I can't spell putting a price on Rushdi's head. An insignifance work by an little-known author, it was destined for obscurity from the moment pen was laid to paper. And now it has been made famous and enjoyed excellent sales -- don't you see the lesson here?

Apparently not, so, ok, I'll point it it to you: if you want to fight 'em, do it with neglect. When asked about the antics of Madonna or the screeving of Brown, politely ask in return, "Who?" and then tell a good Ike, Mike, and Mustard joke.

On the other hand, keep up the good work. I'm enjoying hell out of it....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  09:18:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
I realize that I'm younger than most of you, but I can't remember ever paying only $4 for a movie ticket. Everywhere I've been has ben $6-8 for a matinee, and at least $9-10 for a regular show. I had to pay $7.75 for a 3pm show of "Da Vinci Code". It's out of control!

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  09:37:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by byhisgrace88

I realize that I'm younger than most of you, but I can't remember ever paying only $4 for a movie ticket. Everywhere I've been has ben $6-8 for a matinee, and at least $9-10 for a regular show. I had to pay $7.75 for a 3pm show of "Da Vinci Code". It's out of control!

I can remember going to the theater on Sat. morning with a quarter, paying nine cents to get in, a nickle for popcorn, and spending the rest foolishly. Damn, but I'm old!

But, I got to see a lot of Hopalong Cassidy and the Three Stooges...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.