Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  15:51:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
It's fiction for Chrissake!

If Christians get upset over a piece of fiction, it's definitly time for them to seek counceling. This is even more ludicrous than the distress over "The Last Temptation of Christ" which was a really thought-provoking and good movie. I realised so much even though I was a never-gonna-die Pentacostal. The Da Vinci Code (the book) is lame by comparison. I hope it will be a good suspence movie though.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  15:54:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Cardinal Francis should be ashamed of himself for advocating legal action to block billions of people from viewing a work of fiction. Considering the sort of fables and myths his own religion is based upon, this is laughable hypocrisy.

Since when has censorship not been a tool of religion?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  17:37:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

I don't mind any boycotts or pamphlets being handed out (this is America), but if they want to take legal action they are going too far. If christians want to force this not to be shown, then christians need to be prepared for legal action for us not to be able to worship Jesus.

I am almost through the book myself and it is a page turner. But nothing in the book is new. It is just old conspiracy theories rewritten. The real controversy is not that Jesus was married but that the author claims Jesus was not God.

I don't think that Brown is a bad storyteller, but to me the suspense seemed like it was largely caused by the fact that the chapter breaks had a 1/2 chapter phase shift. Maybe that is good writing technique, I don't claim to be an

expert on where to put

pauses and such.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  23:26:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Well, folks, the first review of the movie is finally in.
quote:
PARIS, FRANCE- As the long-awaited film adaptation of Dan Brown's mega-selling religious thriller The DaVinci Code prepares for a full bore assault on America's multiplex screens this Friday, curious fans wait in breathless anticipation for the answer to the most vexing riddle of the book: will the movie live up to their expectations. The short answer, according to those lucky enough to catch one of the recent test screenings, is no. Unlike the tome of the same name, the big screen version of The DaVinci Code is somewhat coherent and preserves only a smattering of the moronic expository dialogue that made the original so special.

Rather than worrying about protests from the Catholic church, producers now appear to have a bigger problem on their hands: Dan Brown fans. With its page-long chapters and repetitive explanations, The DaVinci Code captivated readers and broke literary boundaries. Part of the book's charm is that it read like the product of an eighth grade creative writing class, an endearing quality that appears to have vanished along the gold-paved road to Hollywood.

But it isn't all bad news.
quote:
Some SONY studio executives had worried over Hanks' decision to grow his hair out into a bizarre topiary shape prior to filming, but oddly enough this is the one detail fans appreciate.

"The quasi-mullet is perfectly in keeping with Dan's original vision," said Howard. "You can't take your eyes off the thing. It's magnificent. In a way it's a sweet tribute to the Dan Brown fan, a discerning intellectual who purchases all their reading material at Wal-Mart."

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 05/16/2006 23:41:06
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  23:53:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
This is kind of funny and sort of related to DaVinci.
I haven't read any of these posts, because I don't go to movies or read popular books but......
I was at the art museum the other day to do a homework assignment. While there bought an art history book at their gift store to use for a future art class. The picture on the cover just happened to be that of 'The Mona Lisa'. As I was paying for it the lady making friendly small talk, says to me, 'Interested in the DaVinci Code?' She caught me off guard but I spontaneously and courteously said, I'm an atheist so I'm not really interested in that. Then she didn't talk to me anymore and I got the strangest feeling she stopped being friendly after that. Did I say something wrong?
BTW, Can't wait for this movie to be on TV (probably in a couple of years), I love murder mysteries. Don't tell me the ending!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  01:20:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I've picked up a paperback copy of the book and it is next on my reading list. I'll probably see the flick when it comes out on DVD, if the book lives up to expectations. With the almost global shit-storm going on over it, it's almost sure to be good. Shit-storms are a better review process than any pontifications from professional critics, and usually the bigger they are, the better the literature. And they tend to make their authors wealthy beyond reason. Salmon Rushdi and J.K. Rowling come to mind. I haven't read Rushdi, as Satanic Verses doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but I'm as much of a Potter-head as any of my grandkids.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  03:29:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Here's an excellent review of the da Vinci Code. If Betty Bowers ("Anything that irritates Catholics can't be all bad.") likes it, it's gotta be good!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  21:35:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
Ok, here is in short why we christians have a problem with "The Davinci Code".

While it is indeed fiction, it is presented as fact. In fact to open his book Dan Brown saysthat all information found in documents, and paintings mentioned in the book are factual, and not at all fictional, which is just a lie on many levels. (i.e. reffering to the vote over the diety of Christ at the Councel of Nicea as a "close vote", when in fact it was 300 to 2.) Now if you are at all educated in the matter, as most of you seem to be, you will realize that it is fictional, and of little more significance than any other film, book, or person presenting the idea of Christ not being the saviour. While disappointing, this should not be overly offensive to us. But where millions of people will be seeing this movie, most of them not educated into the subject, they will see this movie as at least possibly true, which it indeed is not. Dan Brown so blurred the line between fact and fiction that it has suddenly become something offensive, and I believe; dangerous.

As for people boycotting it, I don't think it should ever be legalisticly forced on people to not see a movie. If you don't feel like you should see it, then don't. But they shouldn't try to force that on other people. I for one saw it the first day it was in theaters. I found it interesting, but also found it offensive to my faith, to christians, and most importantly to Christ; my God and Saviour to whom I have devoted my life.

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  01:16:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by byhisgrace88

Dan Brown so blurred the line between fact and fiction that it has suddenly become something offensive, and I believe; dangerous.

The irony.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  03:11:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

While it is indeed fiction, it is presented as fact. In fact to open his book Dan Brown saysthat all information found in documents, and paintings mentioned in the book are factual, and not at all fictional, which is just a lie on many levels. (i.e. reffering to the vote over the diety of Christ at the Councel of Nicea as a "close vote", when in fact it was 300 to 2.) Now if you are at all educated in the matter, as most of you seem to be, you will realize that it is fictional, and of little more significance than any other film, book, or person presenting the idea of Christ not being the saviour. While disappointing, this should not be overly offensive to us. But where millions of people will be seeing this movie, most of them not educated into the subject, they will see this movie as at least possibly true, which it indeed is not. Dan Brown so blurred the line between fact and fiction that it has suddenly become something offensive, and I believe; dangerous.

As for people boycotting it, I don't think it should ever be legalisticly forced on people to not see a movie. If you don't feel like you should see it, then don't. But they shouldn't try to force that on other people. I for one saw it the first day it was in theaters. I found it interesting, but also found it offensive to my faith, to christians, and most importantly to Christ; my God and Saviour to whom I have devoted my life.

And thus, you have described one form of the very best fiction. The kind that makes one think.

Fiction by it's very nature requires the suspension of belief. When I read it, I lock my skepticism in the closet and enjoy the ride however much nonsense the work might contain. If it is too full of nonsense, I rarely finish because it has become mediocre writing and spolied the story. And, worst of all, it has not caused me to ask: "What if...?"

Welcome back, C'88! Where've you been keeping yourself for so long?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  05:37:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
byhisgrace88 stated:
quote:

I can find nothing to disagree with you on this, byhisgrace88, except for the "dangerous" part, which seems rather extreme. Is your religion so delicate, so precarious, that one book or movie could threaten it?

Indeed, Dan Brown did make introductory claims at the start of The Da Vinci Code that are factually incorrect. (I can't say he's lying, he may just be wrong.) Most historians actually believe, for instance, that the Priory of Sion is a modern hoax, with a made-up, forged history. The First Council of Nicea in 325 did indeed defeat the Arians. Of the 250 to 318 estimated attendees, only two voted for the Arians. (Essentially, Arias and his followers believed Jesus was of a different nature from God the Father, while the majority believed they were of the same nature.) Brown got this very wrong indeed.

I have no idea why Dan Brown felt compelled to state that certain elements of his novel were true. He should have just left that comment out, IMHO. The novel would have been just as good a yarn without such claims to truth, and still would have made people think. Nor does the book or movie require a similar internal disclaimer stating the contents are fiction. The upper left corner of the back cover of my paperback edition has one small word that identifies for the bookseller what kind of book it is, "Fiction." The movie is not being released as a documentary.

These words of yours are a perfect example of tolerance: "I don't think it should ever be legalisticly forced on people to not see a movie. If you don't feel like you should see it, then don't. But they shouldn't try to force that on other people."

[Edited for content]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/21/2006 06:29:47
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  06:10:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
It appears that the ham-handed attempts of some churches to ban, censor, or boycott the screening of The Da Vinci Code has backfired in a big way. Despite a lack of rave reviews from critics, I suspect that many people simply are curious to find out what the more authoritarian Christian churches are trying to stop them from seeing. See this AP story from CNN.com:
quote:
'Da Vinci Code' opens with estimated $29 million
Film is on track for year's biggest opening-weekend gross

Saturday, May 20, 2006; Posted: 6:45 p.m. EDT (22:45 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- "The Da Vinci Code" banked an estimated $29 million at the box office on its first day in theaters, an industry official said Saturday, positioning the film to turn in the strongest opening weekend for any movie this year.

Preliminary results showed that the movie, based on a runaway best-seller and starring multiple-Oscar winner Tom Hanks, appealed to moviegoers despite lackluster reviews.

The Columbia Pictures movie opened in 3,735 theaters in the United States and grossed a respectable average of $7,764 per screen.

"This is the first big film of the summer to exceed box office expectations," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc., which tracks box office receipts.

Dergarabedian said the movie could gross $60 million to $80 million in its opening weekend. That would easily eclipse Tom Cruise's latest offering, Paramount's "Mission: Impossible III," which fell well below expectation with $48 million on its opening weekend earlier this month.

For "Da Vinci Code," controversy around a script that suggests Jesus married and fathered a child "only served to pump up the marketplace and get moviegoers get really interested in seeing what the fuss was about," Dergarabedian said.

"Whether you are a fan of the book or just a lover of great mystery thrillers, this film is a true entertainment event," said Steve Elzer, a spokesman for Columbia Pictures. "We had an exceptionally strong Friday, with sellout business reported in territories virtually all over the world."
Why does this make me smile?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/21/2006 06:11:57
Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  23:00:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
Halfmooner said:
quote:
I can find nothing to disagree with you on this, byhisgrace88, except for the "dangerous" part, which seems rather extreme. Is your religion so delicate, so precarious, that one book or movie could threaten it?

A very fair, and good question. I did not state nearly clearly enough what I actually meant by "dangerous". No matter how crazy it sounds to some of you; I literally believe souls are at stake in almost everything we do, especially something that blatantly throws into question everything that our faith is based on, with little or no evidence to back it up. So the answer to your question is no, I don't believe that my faith is so fragile that one book could throw it into chaos. I believe that this is in God's perfect plan, and it can't touch the sovereign will of God for his people. Though that being said, I believe that Christians can lose faith through it, and non-christians will be turned off to christianity by it, which is something that I personally see as truly dangerous. Please forgive me for throwing that term out there without any context or explenation. It certainly left it open to interpretation on what I actually meant.

quote:
Indeed, Dan Brown did make introductory claims at the start of The Da Vinci Code that are factually incorrect. (I can't say he's lying, he may just be wrong.)

I also agree with you on this. While I don't think that the level of non-factual attacks on christianity could have been done by accident, I also am in no position to judge the heart of Dan Brown. I have been very careful no matter who I am interacting with, to make sure that I don't talk about the "lies" of Dan Brown. Only God knows where his heart truly was in writing the book. Whether it was a malicious intent to undermine christians, or it was a simple (yet careless) lack of information, it is not my job, or my place to be upset with him. That is God's job. Though I have to admit I forget that in alot of circumstances. :-)

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  00:25:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy...I haven't read Rushdi, as Satanic Verses doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but I'm as much of a Potter-head as any of my grandkids....
I just got a book at the thrift store, the Satanic Nurses and other literary parodies..

I bought Rushdies book for the heck of it but never got around to reading it. It's still on the shelf.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  00:31:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

quote:

Dan Brown so blurred the line between fact and fiction that it has suddenly become something offensive, and I believe; dangerous.

The irony.

No kidding!

BHG88, I find the Bible offensive in the way it treats women and it is certainly a book full of fiction. In addition, history is always subject to interpretation. The ideas in Brown's book are not new. He just made them more visible.

And to whom is this information supposed to be dangerous? To someone who might question the myths in the Bible?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.