Self catching criminals
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Now from my neck of the woods.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7019653/

Not the brightest bulb in the package.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:53:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Did they happen to find a 16' in-ground pool in his possession?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:03:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

No way! Whoever did that was brilliant!

A few years ago someone stole the HUGE Big Boy from in front of our local Frisch's. The thing was as big as a pickup truck and the base was set in cement. It was about fifty feet from a very busy highway.

Though I do not condone criminal behavior, sometimes I am in awe of the sheer nerve it takes to do something like that and get away with it.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:48:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I can only wonder, Wendy, if your "no way!" indicates that you missed this thread.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  13:03:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

I can only wonder, Wendy, if your "no way!" indicates that you missed this thread.

No, indeed. I read it in its entirety. I happen to believe one theft was quite enterprising (the thread to which you referred me) while the other (this thread) was criminally stupid.

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  15:21:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Nope. The people who stole that has a modicum of intelligence to be able to pull it off. It's impractical, but successful.

In this case, they were probably hungry as their breakfast food outwitted them on many an occasion and escaped.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  17:59:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Now from my neck of the woods.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7019653/

Not the brightest bulb in the package.

Open mouth, insert foot clear up to your freakin' neck.

I read about that. This dummy is confused enough that I'd not be suprised to see him someday nonimated for a Darwin. Is the gene pool getting stagnent, or something?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  03:33:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy
Though I do not condone criminal behavior, sometimes I am in awe of the sheer nerve it takes to do something like that and get away with it.
How about cleaning out the display window of a home electronics store at city square 3PM a Friday?

Vinyl players, VCR's, Bang&Olufsen Stereo sets, TV sets etc.
The store itself was on first floor. They pulled up in a van, wearing blue overalls and set up a sign in the window saying "The store* is currently redecorating."
People walking by just shrugged their shoulders, some stood looking at the window while they were working, wondering what other stuff the store would put up for display, then went about their business. The burglars cleaned it all out and left...

*the store's name purposely omitted, because I like it and it's owners.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  07:16:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
More helpful criminals. Danes this time, my neck of the woods.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 02/25/2005 07:18:52
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  07:45:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

How about cleaning out the display window of a home electronics store at city square 3PM a Friday?

Yikes! I hope the owners had good insurance.

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  08:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's like I've always said; if you're gonna sneak around, do it right out in the open where everyone can see you. You'll get away with it because they might see you but won't notice you.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  08:51:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Civilization and our species really are decline, aren't they?
quote:
COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- When two Danish burglars realized someone had stolen the keys to their getaway car, they reacted like honest citizens and called the police.

Police said they were only too happy to help, and arrested them after they confessed to breaking and entering.

The men, identified only as an 18-year-old and a 20-year-old, broke into a summer cabin late Wednesday near Kaldred, 90 kilometers (55 miles) west of capital Copenhagen.

Here in the states, we occasionally hear of some nit-wit getting his dope stash ripped off and calling the cops about it. Sad....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  10:04:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Civilization and our species really are decline, aren't they?
quote:
COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- When two Danish burglars realized someone had stolen the keys to their getaway car, they reacted like honest citizens and called the police.

Police said they were only too happy to help, and arrested them after they confessed to breaking and entering.

The men, identified only as an 18-year-old and a 20-year-old, broke into a summer cabin late Wednesday near Kaldred, 90 kilometers (55 miles) west of capital Copenhagen.

Here in the states, we occasionally hear of some nit-wit getting his dope stash ripped off and calling the cops about it. Sad....

http://www.crazycriminals.com/

First story on the page is from my area. If memmory serves, the jewlrey store owner stopped laughing long enough to call the police.

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  10:17:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

First story on the page is from my area. If memmory serves, the jewlrey store owner stopped laughing long enough to call the police.

The fourth story on the page is from my home state:
quote:
Kentucky: Two men tried to pull the front off a cash machine by running a chain from the machine to the bumper of their pickup truck. Instead of pulling the front panel off the machine, though, they pulled the bumper off their truck. Scared, they left the scene and drove home. With the chain still attached to the machine. With their bumper still attached to the chain. With their vehicle's license plate still attached to the bumper.

Sounds about right.

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  11:57:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

quote:

The fourth story on the page is from my home state:
quote:
Kentucky: Two men tried to pull the front off a cash machine by running a chain from the machine to the bumper of their pickup truck. Instead of pulling the front panel off the machine, though, they pulled the bumper off their truck. Scared, they left the scene and drove home. With the chain still attached to the machine. With their bumper still attached to the chain. With their vehicle's license plate still attached to the bumper.

Sounds about right.

I think I read that on at News of the Weird some time back. As I recall, it was in the Least Compent Criminals catagory. But, I auppose that if they were at all compent, they wouldn't be smash-and-grab criminals, would they?

No, they'd have a better grift, like politics.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  11:13:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
(1) Mr. Mamadou Obotimbe Diabikile was shot by police and arrested after his unsuccessful attempt to rob the Mali Development Bank in Bamako, Mali, in March, in part hindered by the nearly seven pounds of magic charms he was wearing to make himself invisible. (2) Musician Edna Chizema went on trial in March in Harare, Zimbabwe, for allegedly defrauding Ms. Magrate Mapfumo by convincing her to pay the equivalent of US$5,000 for Chizema to fly in four invisible mermaids (folkloric goddesses of revenge, according to the Shona people) from London to help recover Mapfumo's stolen car. [Independent Online (Cape Town, South Africa), 3-17-05] [Seattle Post-Intelligencer-AP, 3-18-05]

Kim Chan, 40, of a village in the Cambodian province of Kampot, announced in March that he had a cow that was heavenly possessed and could cure illnesses by exposure to its bodily fluids, but local official Khun Somnang immediately discounted the claim, saying, "We had a holy cow here a year and a half ago (and you) don't get two that close together." [South African Press Association-Deutsche Press Agentur, 3-15-05]

Some stuff from todays www.newsoftheweird.com

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.