Dr. Mabuse is this a real problem in your neck of
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  08:35:17  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7007718/

That's right. You read it correctly. Thieves stole a 16 foot diameter (5.3 m) in ground pool with filtration system.

Although it happened in Norway, I think Mab might shed some light on this.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  08:50:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
How... interesting... [blink]

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  10:34:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I'm stunned... speachless.

In Sweden, Norwegans are from time to time the object of jokes and stories hinting of lower mental capacity. Though everyone knows these jokes are only for amusement, this one makes me wonder...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  13:49:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I'm stunned... speachless.

In Sweden, Norwegans are from time to time the object of jokes and stories hinting of lower mental capacity. Though everyone knows these jokes are only for amusement, this one makes me wonder...

My question is invariably how does one unload this kind of product? Do you have cars parked in major cities with a guy in a trenchcoat saying, "hey, wanna buy a pool?"

I could see taking the filtration system as it is more easily disposed of, but the whole dang pool?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

sumnihil

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  13:58:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sumnihil a Private Message
that is the single greatest thing i have ever heard.

i am starting a religion based on the miracle of the missing pool.

the cornerstone of my religion will be a just and loving god with only one moral blindspot. he doesn't believe that norwegians should have swimming pools. and whenever anyone challenges this as being rediculous, i now have a concrete, irrefutable example of the great wrath my god will invoke upon those who disobey his word. my god's name, you ask? his grace, commander sir Samuel Vimes, ankh-morpork city watch.

enthusiastic cheering for anyone getting the reference (and i hope there are lots).

and, yes, i broke my no capital letter rule. you will never see me do this again, but Sam Vimes deserves the capital letter. no one else does.

all great truths began as blasphemies.
--g.b. shaw

yes, i am aware that i do not use capital letters. it is discrimination, and discrimination is wrong. period.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  14:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I hate thieves, but I've got to give this bunch some grudging credit, initally anyway. Digging up and hauling off something like would be a daunting task without some fairly heavy machinery, and an obvious and noisy one with it.

The article failed to mention exactly how it was done. Perhaps we'll get an update.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  14:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
and, yes, i broke my no capital letter rule. you will never see me do this again...

Followed directly by two more capital letters.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

sumnihil

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  15:32:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sumnihil a Private Message
aargh. busted. i meant you will never see me do it again starting......now.:)

--g.b. shaw

yes, i am aware that i do not use capital letters. it is discrimination, and discrimination is wrong. period.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  16:05:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sumnihil

aargh. busted. i meant you will never see me do it again starting......now.:)

We'll be watching....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  04:39:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I've read some eight or ten books, but none about the city watch.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sumnihil

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  11:34:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sumnihil a Private Message
dr mab- i am shocked! you must read the city watch saga. start with guards! guards! that will introduce you to the characters. the rest follow in order:

men at arms
feet of clay
jingo
the fifth elephant
night watch

following the progression of the characters (especially commander vimes) is one of the truly great parts of the discworld saga.

--g.b. shaw

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.