Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  08:06:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Turns out that Hannah, when asked about "micro-proteinoids," claims to have discovered them. She says the whole "ccdi9" thing is her hypothesis, and her PhD work, and implies that's why none of this stuff can be found on the Web.

To anyone with an inside knowledge of how doctorate-level work is done: does this make any sense at all? Do doctoral candidates often invent at least two new terms for the things they're working on? Or is Hannah making herself out to be the next freakin' Einstein (of biochemistry)?

The earliest reference i could find about proteinoids date back to the early sixties. These proteinoids are non-biological strings of amino-acids ranging between 30 and a hundred amino acids. Presumbably a "micro-proteinoid" is a string of amino acids that is smaller than this.

The "codes" in her post could refer to combinations of amino acids, but that doesn't really make sense considering all the biologically relevant ones are named and every conceivable amino acid also has a systematic IUPAC name.

How any of this provides a challenge for evolution or even abiogenesis is unclear to me.

In doctoral research it is not unheard of to come up with your own terms for novel things you run into. Whether or not the term sticks around and makes it into the final publication depends a bit on the professor you work under.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  08:35:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss

The earliest reference i could find about proteinoids date back to the early sixties. These proteinoids are non-biological strings of amino-acids ranging between 30 and a hundred amino acids. Presumbably a "micro-proteinoid" is a string of amino acids that is smaller than this.
Also known as polypeptides, unless the "non-biological" part makes the "peptide" label inappropriate.
quote:
The "codes" in her post could refer to combinations of amino acids, but that doesn't really make sense considering all the biologically relevant ones are named and every conceivable amino acid also has a systematic IUPAC name.
Yeah, so it also makes no sense that a friend of hers is inventing names for them.
quote:
How any of this provides a challenge for evolution or even abiogenesis is unclear to me.
It doesn't, according to Hannah. It just presents a challenge to gradualistic evolution. I think she's actually an IDist.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  10:01:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Also known as polypeptides, unless the "non-biological" part makes the "peptide" label inappropriate.

Yeah, i should have phrased that better. Typically non-biological peptides are refered to as artifical peptides or synthetic peptides.
The term "proteinoids" seems to refer solely to these polypeptide-chains that are made via the thermal method described by Sydney Fox and coworkers.

Incidentally, the method they used looks pretty easy and i have all the required material standing ready in the lab. Perhaps i'll give it a try tomorrow, it looks pretty cool :)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  10:03:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Make some tiny ones. Then you can compete with Hannah on "micro-proteinoid" work.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  04:38:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:

Make some tiny ones. Then you can compete with Hannah on "micro-proteinoid" work.

I'm running Fox' protocol right now. The mixture gives of a nice spicy scent and it had the colour that Fox reported it should have. I fear the 3h incubation time may be to long for my equipment though as it's starting to turn black.
If i get around to it i'll run the mixture on Laemli's gel-electrophoresis system this evening, i'm kind of curious if there's anything protein-like in it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.