Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  14:31:44  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Does anyone understand the reasoning behind the name Bright? I have been trying to find it, but all I can find is that it has something to do with meme.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  15:05:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
I think Micheal Shermer said something about it in his Scientific American column. But you'll have to dig through your local library as they don't archive it on the website. Perhaps if you had a paid subscription.

One of the points he mentioned though, was that they wanted a sort of non-confrontational, positive name, without the stereotype attached to "skeptic". How they landed on Bright, I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  15:09:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Because it reminds little children of Rainbow Brite and her magical, stuck-up rainbow pony...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  17:12:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Right here on our site: "Are You a Bright?"

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  20:16:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
So basically there is no reason besides it is a word with a positive connotation. Is that right?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  20:36:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
well you know what they say, " Image is everything. " Bright does sound much better than skeptic which conjures up the image of old grumpy men who dismiss everything.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  02:39:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Hmmmm...

When someone calls them self "Bright" the image I get is that of a self absorbed know it all who think he/she is smarter than everybody else...

I'll rather be the grumpy old man dismissing the name Bright and everything else...
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  03:29:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I've been a bright for a long time. Once you sign up, nothing else happens. You can promote it to others but no one asks for funds or volunteer work or anything unless you initiate it.

Some people have objected to the anti-religion aspect of it but I don't see that as the focus. The idea is to promote common sense and scientific principles as the best way to interact with the world. Since I do that anyway, I thought it worthwhile to add my name to the movement.

http://www.the-brights.net/
Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/01/2005 03:33:21
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  03:39:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I too, am a Bright, although I agree that the name reads as a bit fatuous. But I figger that if it's good enough for Dawkins, it's probably too good for me. So naturally, I joined.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  10:26:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I too, am a Bright, although I agree that the name reads as a bit fatuous. But I figger that if it's good enough for Dawkins, it's probably too good for me. So naturally, I joined.

It was good for ol' Dawkins
And it's good enough for me.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  10:47:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
They seem to be atheists, but say that they are not atheists. If you are free from a supernatural world view, are you not an atheist?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  14:15:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

They seem to be atheists, but say that they are not atheists. If you are free from a supernatural world view, are you not an atheist?

Well I am so there is no conflict. I can't speak for anyone else.
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  18:48:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I usually do not waste my time thinking about religion. I do not adopt designations such as "bright" because, sooner or later, "bright" will become synonymous with "nasty" in the eyes of the religious/converted. I steer clear of religious people most of the time and, as long as they are not proselytizing me, I refrain from proselytizing them.

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  12:05:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ljbrs

I usually do not waste my time thinking about religion. I do not adopt designations such as "bright" because, sooner or later, "bright" will become synonymous with "nasty" in the eyes of the religious/converted. I steer clear of religious people most of the time and, as long as they are not proselytizing me, I refrain from proselytizing them.

ljbrs

I agree. Just look what happened to the word "gay." It now has a negative connotation such as, "That is gay."

Does this mean being bright will now be a bad thing? That would actually be quite funny.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  13:33:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ljbrs

ljbrs

I agree. I don't preach either. But if being a Bright pisses off the religious fundementalists, of all stripes, I will happily bear the title. They piss me off often anough, and turn about's fair trade.

I don't mind being thought of as 'nasty' and don't much care who thinks it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  13:40:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I think superstition and quackery go hand in hand, and are dangerous. Mixing those with government, as in the legalization of homeopathy and the narrowing of the separation of church and state are more dangerous. I spend time thinking about these things. That's why I call myself an atheist and a skeptic. I'm not sure why adding another term to confuse people makes things better.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds.