Religion
 Family Film night
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  15:37:42  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Family Film night

Oh man!
quote:
The earth shakes, the ground splits, and everybody not strapped to a guillotine scatters. Patty tries to snag a passing guard, groaning "I'll take the mark! Give me the mark!" to no avail. Abandoned, Patty lies breathless in the pitch black aftermath of the earthquake, and the camera pulls back, slowly, to show a crack across the parking lot, ending just before the guillotine. This is a perfect, harrowing, quiet moment, and a beautiful one, worthy of some of the gothic Italian horror directors #8212; certainly a Fulci, if not an Argento. The camera then switches between several close shots of Patty and the guillotine. Patty struggles to free herself, begins to get a belt loose, and then hears a sharp click. She gasps and tries harder to undo the strap, and we jump between her face from the blade's viewpoint, the blade from her viewpoint, the catch on the blade slipping gradually looser, and her fingers frantically working the buckle of the strap.

And then the blade falls and Patty screams "NEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!" one last time.

I like the Amazon reviews myself:

quote:
I remember this movie as it came out in 1973,how could I ever forget it as it was also used in my church when I was a child as a so called "Witnessing tool" now as an adult I can see it for what it really was ...A scare tactic to get one to believe and if I didn't I would be "Left behind to go to hell". The tool worked as I would have panic attacks till I was the age of 36.

quote:
My loving parents forced me to see this entire series at the impressionable age of 9. It is disturbing enough to see any sort of scary movie at that age, but to be told that what you are seeing is real and will happen at any moment...Let's just say I didn't sleep for months. Whenever my parents left the house without telling me beforehand, I would cower in the corner, fully convinced that I had missed the rapture and would now be forced to endure a world of giant locust-men, a sun that would scorch people with fire, man-eating vultures, bloody faced anarchists in black robes, and a government that wanted to decapitate me with a guillotine. On one such instance, I even got a buture knife from the kitchen and held it to my throat, wondering if I should kill myself in order to avoid the tribulation to come. My childhood exposure to these movies played no small role in the deep-seated loathing I have for Christianity today. I urge all well-intentioned but misguided Christian parents who have access to these movies: PLEASE DO NOT SHOW THESE MOVIES TO YOUR CHILDREN! To do so is child abuse.

Yep, these are the same group of people, I presume, who hate Harry friggen' Potter!

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  16:15:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message
Damn, it's only on Adelphia cable in my area and I've got Charter. The DVD is really tempting ... pardon the pun.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  17:27:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Yay! CHILD TERRORISM!
Ahem.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

sweetmiracle
Skeptic Friend

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  21:26:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sweetmiracle a Private Message
Oh, wow, I had nightmares about jumping off a dam for years after seeing one of those cheerful little films....

Remarkable claims require remarkable proof.

-Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  03:51:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Not having had a religious up-bringing, I was never subjected to this sort of thing, but from observation, it is not all that uncommon amongst the OT maniacs.

Indeed, there are small companies that manufacture fiberglass 'rods' to punish children. These assholes should bastinadoed with their own product.

But it looks like this scumbag is getting out of the business.
quote:
Lawrence's campaign has reached Clyde Bullock of Eufaula, Okla., the creator of The Rod. Bullock told the Globe last week that he has decided to voluntarily halt production for now, in part because of pressure from Lawrence and her supporters.

''I feel it's run its course," said Bullock, an auto mechanic who said he had sold hundreds of rods through his small-business venture, Slide's Manufacturing Co.

Another reason he is halting production, he said, is that the company that makes the cushioned grips for the rods has pulled out of the venture.

But Bullock, a Southern Baptist, said he stands by the virtue of The Rod, which, he said, is safer than a belt or paddle. He said he believes his product is in keeping with biblical teachings that rods be used only as a ''last resort" to train children. He opposes its use on babies. He said he sold the device at a rate of ''a few a week" over the last six years or so. Many of his customers returned for more rods, and cited the Scriptures when they made their purchases, he said.

''I'm one of these simple people," Bullock said. ''The Bible is what it is -- I'm not trying to change it. God is right. We have to have faith in that."

Bastinado him anyway!

Edited to add link.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/01/2005 06:48:08
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  08:38:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
And then to think that, in the Netherlands, some fundamentalist parents were rallying against some of the materials used in our schools because they were to scary (involving witches and stuff). I guess we just don't have any 'real' fundies in the Netherlands.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  09:35:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tomk80

And then to think that, in the Netherlands, some fundamentalist parents were rallying against some of the materials used in our schools because they were to scary (involving witches and stuff). I guess we just don't have any 'real' fundies in the Netherlands.

Tom, I'm sure you do. Probably they're a little saner than our current choir of lunacy.

And many of them are truly scarey in their fascist ambitions to remake the country and someday the world, into a ridged theocratcy resembling the Third Reich.

Our's take the 'fun' out of 'fundie.'

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  11:39:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Tom, I'm sure you do. Probably they're a little saner than our current choir of lunacy.

And many of them are truly scarey in their fascist ambitions to remake the country and someday the world, into a ridged theocratcy resembling the Third Reich.

Our's take the 'fun' out of 'fundie.'

Yeah, after seeing rapture ready I can only conclude that we're stuck with the sissies as far as fundamentalists go.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  22:30:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Although you do have to admit that the RR people are funny. They should be put up for the "Get a Life Award":

quote:
So I was praying and I heard God tell me "You need to tell them. Tell them that my Son is coming SOON! That's why I've kept you where you're at." Ever since then, I've been doing my best to just listen to Him and do whatever He wants me to do. I found out that I lost my girlfriend of 2.5 years and other things because God wanted me to focus on my website.

quote:
Amen.I feel the same way and have the same experiences as you.I have no friends outside of church.It's been that way for 3 years now for me though.Everyone calls me a fundie.I use to have tons of friends until I saved,but I prefer it this way.For some reason I like to be alone alot when before I couldn't stand it.Everything changes when you receive Jesus.I also know He's coming back soon.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  03:43:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tomk80

Yeah, after seeing rapture ready I can only conclude that we're stuck with the sissies as far as fundamentalists go.

In response to this i tried to look up some of the more absurd statements of the SGP (Pretty much the most fundy party of them all over here) but apparently it's set not to allow visitors on sundays. I swear, i'm not making this up.

quote:
Translation mine, the english is a bit off because i tried to stay close to the original
Dear visitor,

thanks you for your interest in the SGP and its positions.
One of these positions concerns the sunday. This is the first day of the week, the day of the ressurection of Christ, which we especially dedicate to the service of God. In addition, sunday is a day of rest, a gift we should be grateful for in busy times as these. A day to catch our breath. Against this background the SGP website is "closed" on sunday.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.