Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  15:28:19  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
Okay, so Creationists claims have worked like this:

• Mutations are not beneficial (proven false)
  • Mutations don't add information (proven false)
  • Mutations don't add NEW information

This last claim of theirs is rather interesting, because like with the Nylon Bug, it adds information, not NEW information. That being said they've run to this now of there being now mutation that adds NEW information.

So are there examples of this? Again, it is NEW information, not just added information.

tk

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  15:40:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
I'm not sure I understand the difference between "new" information and "added" information.

By some definition, any information added can be argued to be new.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  15:45:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I'd say that the Nylon Bug is an example of new information.
It is an extra base-pair that completely changes the protein coding.
Old information is discarded, and new information is inserted.

What is information anyway? Unless all involved in the discussion can agree of a common definition of "information", the term is meaningless.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  16:05:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
And the old information does not have to be discarded either. A hypothetical gene duplication followed by whatever mutation tickles your fantasy in one of the copies, and TADA - we have "old" and "new" information.

Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  16:40:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tkster

So are there examples of this? Again, it is NEW information, not just added information.

tk

Considering Nylon didn't exist prior to 1935 there is little reason to assume any specific Nylon-degrading enzyme existed before that time.

Of course, this is impossible to prove, as anything might have existed before there were people around to record it. It just isn't a very likely scenario and all the evidence points in the direction that the nylon bug contains new information.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  16:45:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Mab almost hit on the right point to make in this discussion, which is that the only people you'll hear talking about a "law of conservation" with regards to "information" in biology are IDists and creationists. As far as I can tell, there are no "laws of information" analogous to the laws of thermodynamics (even though the name "information entropy" was inspired by thermodynamics, but it's a communications measure, not a biological measure).

Anyway, the point is that anyone who claims that only intelligence can create "new information" (which is where the argument in the OP is heading) needs to support their claim. And from what I've heard, every attempt has been based upon an argument from ignorance ("well, can you think of a natural process that creates information? No? Didn't think so, 'cause it doesn't happen.").

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  17:36:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss
Considering Nylon didn't exist prior to 1935 there is little reason to assume any specific Nylon-degrading enzyme existed before that time.

Of course, this is impossible to prove, as anything might have existed before there were people around to record it. It just isn't a very likely scenario and all the evidence points in the direction that the nylon bug contains new information.

The really interesting part in the story is that the old digestive was much more efficient than the newly, less evolved and thus less efficient, nylon-digesting enzyme. The thing is, when the mutation occurred, there was such abundance of nylon available that it didn't matter that the efficiency was low. Given enough time, efficiency will increase thanks to mutation and natural selection. It's inevitable.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  14:33:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
New information is added to the genetic codes of organisms all the time. In addition, information is exchanged and shuffled into new combinations which can have drastically different results. An oversimplified explanation is this. Protein gene coding comes in triplet nucleoside base pairs. Certain combinations give you certain proteins. Certain codes start and end protein producing codes, & turn genes off and on. There is a larger structure to the organism that breaks functions into segments so that one function says when to build, another says what to build and yet another says where to put it and so on. The human genome has 3 billion of these base pairs. Any single nucleic acid substitution gives you a new code which may have anything from zero effect to drastic effects depending on where the new combination of nucleic acids are.

So while you can say we only have 4 DNA bases in fixed pair combinations and no new nucleic acids have ever been involved in DNA sequences, you also have an infinite potential for new structures since the genetic code itself has a very large number of combination possibilities and it can also grow in length as a mutation might add a segment of code as well as detach a segment of code.

Finally, mutations occur and can be passed on to offspring with out any selection pressure except the natural selection of merely having offspring. The benefit of lots of genetic diversity as well as two copies of all but our male XY chromosome combinations is that when new environmental encounters occur, someone somewhere will already have a mutation to deal with it. The principle applies to bugs as well. You could have a nylon digestion enzyme emerge before during or after the invention of synthetic nylon.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/02/2005 14:33:53
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  15:22:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
Of course, if I am correct about this, isn't all "information" made up of DNA anyway? And DNA is the C,T,G,A coding, so really "NEW" information doesn't exist as it is just added DNA.

My brain isn't working right, so that might not be correct. Correct me if I'm wrong. The reason I ask is because I am setting up some PP presentation because I am seriously thinking about debating Hovind next semester and take off during the summer to prepare.

tk
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  15:56:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message

aoömdiodamauinaanugrn <--- this is just jibberish, unless you have the decode key. So how would you know if there is information in there or not?

The "real" information is not the DNA-sequence in itself (those are only information-carriers), but the sequence-combinations that produce proteins and enzymes.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  21:59:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

aoömdiodamauinaanugrn <--- this is just jibberish, unless you have the decode key. So how would you know if there is information in there or not?

The "real" information is not the DNA-sequence in itself (those are only information-carriers), but the sequence-combinations that produce proteins and enzymes.

ditto

And put another way, I can have 26 letter alphabet. If I create a new word using the same 26 letters I still have a new word. The word is the information, the letters are not.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/02/2005 22:01:17
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  04:37:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Of course, if I am correct about this, isn't all "information" made up of DNA anyway? And DNA is the C,T,G,A coding, so really "NEW" information doesn't exist as it is just added DNA.

My brain isn't working right, so that might not be correct. Correct me if I'm wrong. The reason I ask is because I am setting up some PP presentation because I am seriously thinking about debating Hovind next semester and take off during the summer to prepare.

Pretty much what Mab and beskeptigal said.

The sequence of DNA is just letters. They contain information, they are not themselves information.

The nylon bug is a fine example of new information being added. The DNA of this organism contains the information that allows it to utilize nylon as a carbon source. That is unquestionably NEW info, as nylon is a new (relatively speaking) material,, and is entirely synthetic.

If it's not, then we are not using the same definition of the word "information", and there isn't really any point in having a conversation about the word when we aren't using the same definition.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  05:03:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Talk about grasping at straws.

"Plagiarism! You did not write a new creationist article. You just rearranged the letters of an old one"

"Of course like every other man of intelligence and education I do believe in organic evolution. It surprises me that at this late date such questions should be raised."
-- Woodrow Wilson, 1922
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  12:39:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Talk about grasping at straws.

"Plagiarism! You did not write a new creationist article. You just rearranged the letters of an old one"

"Of course like every other man of intelligence and education I do believe in organic evolution. It surprises me that at this late date such questions should be raised."
-- Woodrow Wilson, 1922

That's funny.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  17:05:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:

This might just be nitpicking, but if you are talking about heritable information causing or having the capability to cause phenotypical change, then DNA is not the only form of information. Some viruses use RNA. Misfolded proteins (prions) are known to cause heritable phenotypic change. Same thing goes for methylation patterns. There might be more, but I can't think of them at the top of my head.

As for debating Hovind: GOOD LUCK. But don't assume that having all the facts will win you the debate.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds.