Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Bush the fascist....?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  14:58:09  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yeah, maybe so...
quote:
The Bush Fascist Index

"Fascism: Any program for setting up a centralized authcratic national regime with severely nationalistic policies, exercising regimentation of industry, commerce, and finance, rigid censorship, and forcible suppression of opposition." --Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Early on during the first term of the Bush presidency many progressives characterized Bush's statements and actions as "fascist" and, for dramatic effect, compared him with Adolph Hitler. While they were reacting to Bush policy, they also recalled that the U.S. government found that Bush's grandfather had illegally aided the Nazis during the 30's. Conservatives responded that the comparison was exaggerated, since Bush had not done the things that Hitler had done, like imprisoning and murdering European jews. Nevertheless, it's clear that it was Bush's fascist leanings that progressives were focusing upon. In comparison with what had came before, a trend toward fascism was seen in the early days of the Bush presidency, and became more pronounced after 9/11.

In 2002, Laurence W. Britt's Fascism Anyone? analyzed seven fascist regimes in order to find the common threads that mark them as fascist: Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Franco's Spain, Salazar's Portugal, Papadopoulos's Greece, Pinochet's Chile, and Suharto's Indonesia. He found 14 common characteristics (reprinted below) and concluded:

"Does any of this ring alarm bells? Of course not. After all, this is America, officially a democracy with the rule of law, a constitution, a free press, honest elections, and a well-informed public constantly being put on guard against evils. Historical comparisons like these are just exercises in verbal gymnastics. Maybe, maybe not."

We think "maybe not." It's just a matter of degree. Reading the daily news, we come across numerous critics of the Bush Administration who document, point to, or warn about each of the characteristics used to identify a fascist regime. For the time being, our Bush Fascist Index places his administration on the first level for each characteristic, the yellow (caution=1 point) level. The other levels are orange (warning=2 points) and red (danger=3 points).Your input is invited. A method of determining a total index number is presently being developed. Further analysis of the past as well as future events will likely change the total index score, once it is computed. --Politex, 03.03.05

At the moment, it's mere words, but reading the 14 examples, the words take a bit of weight.


"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  15:20:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Yeah, maybe so...
quote:
The Bush Fascist Index

"Fascism: Any program for setting up a centralized authcratic national regime with severely nationalistic policies, exercising regimentation of industry, commerce, and finance, rigid censorship, and forcible suppression of opposition." --Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Early on during the first term of the Bush presidency many progressives characterized Bush's statements and actions as "fascist" and, for dramatic effect, compared him with Adolph Hitler. While they were reacting to Bush policy, they also recalled that the U.S. government found that Bush's grandfather had illegally aided the Nazis during the 30's. Conservatives responded that the comparison was exaggerated, since Bush had not done the things that Hitler had done, like imprisoning and murdering European jews. Nevertheless, it's clear that it was Bush's fascist leanings that progressives were focusing upon. In comparison with what had came before, a trend toward fascism was seen in the early days of the Bush presidency, and became more pronounced after 9/11.

In 2002, Laurence W. Britt's Fascism Anyone? analyzed seven fascist regimes in order to find the common threads that mark them as fascist: Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Franco's Spain, Salazar's Portugal, Papadopoulos's Greece, Pinochet's Chile, and Suharto's Indonesia. He found 14 common characteristics (reprinted below) and concluded:

"Does any of this ring alarm bells? Of course not. After all, this is America, officially a democracy with the rule of law, a constitution, a free press, honest elections, and a well-informed public constantly being put on guard against evils. Historical comparisons like these are just exercises in verbal gymnastics. Maybe, maybe not."

We think "maybe not." It's just a matter of degree. Reading the daily news, we come across numerous critics of the Bush Administration who document, point to, or warn about each of the characteristics used to identify a fascist regime. For the time being, our Bush Fascist Index places his administration on the first level for each characteristic, the yellow (caution=1 point) level. The other levels are orange (warning=2 points) and red (danger=3 points).Your input is invited. A method of determining a total index number is presently being developed. Further analysis of the past as well as future events will likely change the total index score, once it is computed. --Politex, 03.03.05

At the moment, it's mere words, but reading the 14 examples, the words take a bit of weight.





"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -- Herman Goering but it sounds a lot like the Bush administration.

He has advocated and directed the indefinate imprisonment of people based on a nebulous charge of being an "illegal enemy combatant" without any evidence which supports it. They are detained at the whim of the US government and the Geneva Convention, US Constitution, and basic legal rights which have been extended to other worse "enemy combatants" have been suspended for them. (See SCOTUS ruling in Ex Parte Quillian (1943) for an example where the "enemy combatants" were afforded access to counsel and courts.)

Are these the workings of a Constitutional Republic or early Fascism?

He shows signs of three of the six criteria. (nationalistic policies in the "go it alone" war on Iraq, rigid censorship with his treatment of protest groups by having people detained and questioned for being part of these groups, and forcible suppression of dissent through forcing dissent into out of the way areas and mass detention of protesters.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9680 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  17:37:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Of course not. After all, this is America, officially a democracy with the rule of law, a constitution, a free press, honest elections, and a well-informed public constantly being put on guard against evils. Historical comparisons like these are just exercises in verbal gymnastics. Maybe, maybe not."



Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

no1important
New Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  08:02:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send no1important a Private Message
Bush is Mabus.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  09:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by no1important

Bush is Mabus.

Mabus is Sabum spelled backward so wouldn't Saddam be closer?

Actually, Bush is starting to look a little like Mabus. I wonder if there is any successor in the wings with a matching name?



Oh, welcome new member. We could use a little Nostradamus debating to lighten up on the Christian debates.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/08/2005 09:57:05
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9680 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  16:11:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
The irony is overwhelming.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  03:56:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

The irony is overwhelming.


Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  04:24:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

The irony is overwhelming.


Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?

I think so Brain, but where are we going to find an albino wombat?


"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9680 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  10:17:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

The irony is overwhelming.


Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?

I think I am, but unfortunately, we are not allowed to post sexual contents on this forum, so we can't let anyone else know.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  11:02:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

The irony is overwhelming.


Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?



I think so, Brain, but the leather does chafe me so.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  12:56:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Well I'm missing the joke. Any chance of an additional hint? I love guessing games.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  14:46:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I think so Brain, but I don't know if we can get Bush to sing One Toke Over the Line to Dr. Falwell, even though he knows the words.

B'gal, the thread has apparently deteriorated into a takeoff on Pinky and the Brain. It was Siberia what done it, and she desreves all of the credit!


"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  15:24:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Well I'm missing the joke. Any chance of an additional hint? I love guessing games.



Cartoon: Pinky and the Brain. Regular on Saturday morning Animanics program and later spawned their own show. The Brain is a super intelligent mouse. Pinky is a rather dim bit of comic relief. A favored exchange starts off

Brain: Pinky, are you postulating what I'm postulating?

Pinky: (responds with something off subject and whacky.)

Yes, I have children and no life, why do you ask?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  17:48:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I think so Brain, but I don't know if we can get Bush to sing One Toke Over the Line to Dr. Falwell, even though he knows the words.

B'gal, the thread has apparently deteriorated into a takeoff on Pinky and the Brain. It was Siberia what done it, and she desreves all of the credit!




Yay! I officially ruined a thread!
Damn, I love that cartoon.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26016 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  17:55:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Narf.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000