Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 (pseudo)SKEPTICISM...a kind of religion or cult?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  11:32:52  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
I see some coincidende between the skpeticism with cults.

We can make the difference, dear skpetics friends.

Father of the new skepticism

Cuneiformist "But yeah, I'm sick of latinijral. And his "new "skepticism"!

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  11:52:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
No coincidende, anti-skpetic amgio.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  12:05:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
yawn...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  12:29:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by latinijral

So what if it is?

And you will make no diference at all because all you have to contribute is blather. This time, you sound rather like the Christian fundies of various stripes. They, having nothing but fantasy with which to argue, claim that evolution is a religion. With practice and rehearsal, you and they could could possibly come up with an acceptable harmoney. If you learn some show tunes, you might could play 'Vegas.

Oh well, what the hell; it's a slow day.... Present your (sigh) reasons and evidence that slepticism of any sort might be considered a cult.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  12:35:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

So what if it is?

And you will make no diference at all because all you have to contribute is blather. This time, you sound rather like the Christian fundies of various stripes. They, having nothing but fantasy with which to argue, claim that evolution is a religion. With practice and rehearsal, you and they could could possibly come up with an acceptable harmoney. If you learn some show tunes, you might could play 'Vegas.

Oh well, what the hell; it's a slow day.... Present your (sigh) reasons and evidence that slepticism of any sort might be considered a cult.

Alas, I suppose hope is indeed the last to die. Hope, delusion, and a fervent need to crave attention. Why do we even bother? I'm bored, and waiting for Apophysis finish rendering.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  13:11:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Really? What evidence do you have of this?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  13:57:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

Still going after the “old skepticism?” If you have started this thread without the intention of defining the "new skepticism" first, this thread will be locked before the sun goes down in California.

In order to point out the flaws of skepticism, which there may be, it seems to me that it would be necessary to define your stated but yet to be defined alternative. You will make no headway at SFN in your campaign for further your cause until you first finish what you have started.

I will close every thread you open until you define “The New Skepticism.”

If you can't hang with that, feel free to move on…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  15:03:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Finally! I, for one, anxiously await learning what this New Skepticism is...
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  15:08:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:
Originally posted by Kil

I'll bet a dollar against a stale goat dropping that you ain't gonna find out.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  15:09:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you've got something to pass the time while you're waiting.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  15:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Just thought I'd copy this from the Uri thread, so it might get through to Latinijral. Just thought I'd add my own language too.

What is the 'new skepticism' and what qualifies you to be it's father?

¿Cuál es "el nuevo escepticismo", y qué le califica ser su padre?

Que são "o skepticism novo", e o que qualifica-o ser seu pai?

Quel est "le nouveau scepticisme", et ce qui vous qualifie être son père ?

Che cosa è "il nuovo scetticismo" e che cosa li qualifica essere il relativo padre?

Was ist "die neue Skepsis", und was qualifiziert Sie, sein Vater zu sein?

O que é "novo ceticismo", e o que o qualifica como pai?

Vad är "den nya skepticismen", och vad kvalificerar dig till att vara dess fader?

Wat is het "nieuwe skepticisme" en wat kwalificeert jouw als de vader ervan?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Edited by - tomk80 on 03/13/2005 15:45:48
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  16:34:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
What kinda shiznit is da "new skepticism", and what qualifies yo ass to be its mutha and shit, you know what I'm sayin?

T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  17:39:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

What kinda shiznit is da "new skepticism", and what qualifies yo ass to be its mutha and shit, you know what I'm sayin?

Universal translators are fun. Here are some translations around a familiar theme

What be da 'new skepticism' 'n what qualifies yo' ass to be it be father?

Wot der fook is der 'new skepticism' 'n wot qualifies yer bastard well to be iss father?

What 1Z th3 'n3w Zk3pt1c1Zm' and what qua|1f13Z y0u t0 b3 1t'Z fath3r?

What is smurfily the 'new skepticism' and what qualifies you to be it's father?

What am thar dang 'new skepticism' 'n wut qualifies y'all tuh bay it bay father?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  20:07:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Would you mind saying what those are instead of making a broad general statement with out any evidence to back it up?

I seem to remember a quote from another post:

quote:
Keep your arguments as abstract and theoretical as possible.

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4036&whichpage=2

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  20:27:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:

Still going after the “old skepticism?” If you have started this thread without the intention of defining the "new skepticism" first, this thread will be locked before the sun goes down in California.

In order to point out the flaws of skepticism, which there may be, it seems to me that it would be necessary to define your stated but yet to be defined alternative. You will make no headway at SFN in your campaign for further your cause until you first finish what you have started.

Under what rule you will close my thread?
Under your piss off rule?
Start a topic about your curiosity.

Thi is about something else.
Stay on topic loser.

Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  20:30:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:

Would you mind saying what those are instead of making a broad general statement with out any evidence to back it up?

I seem to remember a quote from another post:

quote:
Keep your arguments as abstract and theoretical as possible.

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4036&whichpage=2

http://www.randi.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=f5d7b9116c7763c1845e2e9fa0391386&threadid=14066

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.