Forum code for invisible text
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  02:00:54  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I was writing a spoiler in one of the threads, but I don't know of any good way to hide it. I looked in the FAQ on forum codes, and it's not mentioned there.

Right now, the only sollution I know is to change text colour to beige, but that only works if the background is also beige. The bakground of the posts keeps alternating with a darker colour, which makes the "hidden" text visible.

Changing from beige to a darker colour doesn't solve anything, because if someone quotes the post and it ends up on a different background colour, it will still wind up visible.

I'm asking for a forum code that says [hide] and [/hide] that makes text the same colour as background so you only can see it by selecting it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  06:08:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
How about this: [spoiler]hidden text[/spoiler]?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

way

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  06:55:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send way a Private Message
Evidently, Dave, you do rock!

That is the coolest thing I've seen in weeks.

Okay, so I don't get out much but still.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  10:18:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
No, obviously you don't get out much, way.

Really, lots of forums have "spoiler" tags. Ours just isn't in our FAQ, for some reason. Heck, I only found out about it after I first became a moderator.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  11:37:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

How about this: [spoiler]hidden text[/spoiler]?

Just testing.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 03/16/2005 11:42:05
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  12:08:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Hmmm, there's something up with the spoiler code. You shouldn't see the tag when you highlight it.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  13:26:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by @tomic

Hmmm, there's something up with the spoiler code. You shouldn't see the tag when you highlight it.

@

I thought Dave did that on purpose so we could see how it works.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  14:10:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Wendy's right.

Perhaps someone (@tomic, Dave_W?) could update the FAQ?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 03/16/2005 14:11:07
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  14:23:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

@

Dave does this neat little trick with the italics tags (I guess they could be any type of tag, couldn't they?) to make things show up. For example:

[b]bold[/b]

for bold tags. Hit the "Reply with quote" button to see what I mean.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  17:17:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Hey, I thought it was tricky enough, putting the mechanics of the tag inside the spoiler text in my message.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  17:25:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

That'd be under @tomic's jurisdiction.

Ricky wrote:
quote:
Dave does this neat little trick with the italics tags (I guess they could be any type of tag, couldn't they?) to make things show up.
Well, don't use URL tags... But yeah, just about any pair of open-and-close tags stuck right after a [ will "break" the tag parsing, and not turn whatever's after the [ into HTML code, but leave it as is.

As a rule, I do this with all bracketed things I write on the forum, and in the articles, just in case new forum-code tags get created. For instance, if someone were quoting an article and wrote, "[the] Supreme Court justices..." then it would be a pain if one of us lost our minds and made a form-code tag out of [the]. Yes, an absolutely stupid word to make a tag out of, but hopefully it illustrates my point.

Edited to clairfy: yes, I would actually type in "[[i][/i]the]" to avoid any possible problems. And if the text is already in italics, then I'd use the bold tags. And if it's bold and italics already, then underline, then strikeout. All of the single-letter tags would get used up before I'd start with the color tags.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  17:43:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:

I can do that. In fact, there are probably a lot of things missing from the FAQ. I will do that tonight and if anyone can think of other missing items I will add them in as well.

There actually is a FAQ system available for Snitz that puts it in a database. From an older version of this site there is actually an existing table in the database for the FAQ.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  18:49:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
While you're mucking about with the site, @tomic, we could use a link which reads "please see also our FAQ" (or something like that) on the registration page.

Oh, and the other missing forum-code items are [sup] and [/sup] for superscript, [sub] and [/sub] for subscript, [bq] and [/bq] for
blockquoted text without the "quote:" and the small font and the horizontal lines
There are a couple of others, but I've got to get updated code to you for them to be "finished" completely.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.