Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  12:47:19  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message

I am sure SFN learned about some bad members of the skeptic society like mr. James Randi did with money scandals and a bad past in courts and others.

I suggest to my SFN donīt promote JREF link ...in the other hand we can see that JREF didnīt promote SFN on their web page. I guess it is fair.

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/links.asp?action=showsubcat&id=28
http://www.randi.org/education/links.html

Father of the new skepticism

Cuneiformist "But yeah, I'm sick of latinijral. And his "new "skepticism"!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  12:54:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Oy...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  13:00:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
The point of the Penn-mobile (posted for what-- the third time?) is what, exactly...?
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  13:07:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

The point of the Penn-mobile (posted for what-- the third time?) is what, exactly...?

Relax Cuneiformist

There is no point of the Penn-Randi-Moefox-Las Vegas mobile in this thread. It is only to refer the thread where we can see the scandal of this guys.
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3463

The goal of this thread dear sons is to give to SFN details of what promote and what not , and to have the same of others.

Did you review the suggested links of both organizations?

Is it fair to promote Mr. R and that Mr. R donīt promote SFN?

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  13:30:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by latinijral

Good question. But while reciprocity is nice, I don't know if it's required or, in some cases, even possible. For instance, anyone with a website can link JREF to it. Should JREF be required to then link that site? If so, then theoretically JREF's page of links could extend for hundreds of links! And, given the very fluid nature of the internet, it's likely that at any given time some significant percentage of those links would be dead.

So the real question is where SFN fits in to the grand scheme of the skeptical community. We get lots of hits each month and have a nice group of regular readers and posters. But is the site that big when compared to some others? I don't know. Perhaps we don't appear on the JREF site simply because they don't know about SFN.

But anyhow, why does the car do a better job of "refer[ing] the thread where we can see the scandal of this guys" than a link (which you posted in a reply)?
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  13:31:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
So are you at some point going to give us an answer on what the 'new' skepticism is and why we should regard you as the father of it? I guess not. And are you at any point going to reveal to us why we should care about the JREF internal thingie? I guess not.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  14:25:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist
So the real question is where SFN fits in to the grand scheme of the skeptical community. We get lots of hits each month and have a nice group of regular readers and posters. But is the site that big when compared to some others? I don't know. Perhaps we don't appear on the JREF site simply because they don't know about SFN.

Since JREF has it's own forum, maybe they feel it is unnecessary to refer to another one? If there there are a limited number of skeptics and only so much time they can spend on forums, then SFN is a competitor to JREF. It's a silly thought, but there it is.

Maybe someone should write them and ask why we aren't represented.

Off topic: The new VW looks cool, but I don't like it because I disagree with their decision to move the engine to the front, making it a front wheel drive. They designed it to be a retro-car, why not stick with the original idea with tail-engine?
Cool colour on it though. And the personalized license plate ads an extra touch. If I had enough money to buy a second car, I'd buy a DeLorean.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  15:02:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
There is no point of the Penn-Randi-Moefox-Las Vegas mobile in this thread. It is only to refer the thread where we can see the scandal of this guys.

You actually think you have provided solid evidence of some scandal at the JREF, don't you.

Amazing. Jibberingly idiotic, but amazing none the less. The ONLY thing you have done is make accusations. You haven't provided even a single shred of evidence of any type of wrongdoing whatsoever.

So. Again. You really should answer the questions put to you.

What is "the new skepticism", and what qualifies you to be it's father?

Answer! Or continue to demonstrate that you are, in fact, nothing more than a troll (and not even a very good one at that).

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  16:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
I didn't check out all the links on the JREF page. But I would agree with the exclusion of SFN on that particular links page. To me this is mostly a forum. i.e. we deal mostly with oppinion (well informed and not). Not really a learning resource as such. Most of the linked sites are organisaions or pages by people who are experts (I hope) in their field.

quote:
If I had enough money to buy a second car, I'd buy a DeLorean.

Heavy.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  16:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
What is "the new skepticism", and what qualifies you to be it's father?

I can answer that:

"New Skepticism" is where you can show a picture of a car, shout, "WITCH!" and get someone burned at the stake(figuratively). For more information on the history of "New Skepticism", try the Salem Witch Trials

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 03/06/2005 16:35:58
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  18:46:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by latinijral

Speaking officially for the SFN, yes, it is fair. The SFN and the JREF are two different organizations with different goals for our link pages.

You can suggest that we take off the JREF link all you like, but it's not going to happen. Just because you and a handful of other people are annoyed at the JREF over money and your vague implications of impropriety doesn't mean that they don't provide good information about skepticism, critical thought, and science.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  20:56:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave.

You can suggest that we take off the JREF link all you like, but it's not going to happen. Just because you and a handful of other people are annoyed at the JREF over money and your vague implications of impropriety doesn't mean that they don't provide good information about skepticism, critical thought, and science.

Here is another quote, from a SFN member, about this topic.
He is piss off that the JREF don't link SFN.

quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Kil
So, why is it that I should give a rats ass about any of this? We are SFN, not the JREF. Hell, they don't even link to us!

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3866&whichpage=6

Is KIL a SFN administrator who can give official warnings to the members ?

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  21:05:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
latinijral:
Is KIL a SFN administrator who can give official warnings to the members ?

Yes.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  01:49:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I'm just as happy that JREF doesn't link to us. We get enough riff-raff in here as it is.

Ok, that was uncalled for. Humble apologies to all from the JREF who might be lurking. Y'all drop by and say, "HI!"

'Jarl, if your purpose here is to teach us the 'New Skepticism,' what ever that might be, when are you going to start doing so? Thus far, you've done nothing but whine about the JREF and Randi, and some chick who maybe dated Penn Jillette, or Randi, or a cute VW, or whothehell knows, in Vegas. It's become a really dull scene, you know.

Say, here's some pointless gossip we haven't covered yet: did you know (shock, dismay, horror!) that Randi had his name legally changed years ago?

Well, he did! And I'll betcha he did it 'cause he was about to get nabbed for doing something illegal and immoral! I'll betcha there's still people, the Mafia likely, along with the feds and possibly fathers with shotguns, looking for him under his old alias!

Oh, the scoundrel! Call the FBI at once!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  03:19:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I am not going to feed add to this troll thread.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  06:42:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
That's a damn cool car. I especially like the hot pink color and personalized plate. Alas, if only I had money... I'd look snazzy in one of those.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.