Page: of 3

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  07:47:31  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Who said:

quote:
You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real, I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."

A cardinal, talking about the Davinci Code!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  10:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Who said:

quote:
You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real, I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."

A cardinal, talking about the Davinci Code!

Read the same thing on The Raving Atheist a few days ago. I now use a 16A fuse in my irony-meters.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  06:14:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
There are no tanks at the airport!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  13:39:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Me plagerizing an ironic clip about plagerizing, from todays www.newsoftheweird.com

More Ironies: (1) A large portion of the materials on plagiarism on the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh's Writing Center Web site was revealed in February to have been taken verbatim from Purdue University's Web page on plagiarism. (2) And a February report from the White House's Office of Management and Budget (OMB), grading federal departments and agencies on five administrative performance criteria, concluded that the second-worst-performing agency was OMB. [University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Advance-Titan, 2-16-05] [Washington Post, 2-8-05]

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  12:32:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Warning Irony Overload!!!

Second richest man in the world decides to give away his billions....to the richest man in the world.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  13:51:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Well the fact that regardless of criticism from religious nuts, the book was hugely popular and enough so to be made into an entertaining film speaks volumes about how much (or little) influence the Catholic Church has on pop culture.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  14:10:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Well the fact that regardless of criticism from religious nuts, the book was hugely popular and enough so to be made into an entertaining film speaks volumes about how much (or little) influence the Catholic Church has on pop culture.

Just so I'm clear, Marf, "the book" we and the Cardinal are referring to is the Bible, right?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  15:14:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

On top of that, the vast majority of people have heard about the whole "controversy." So the Church has everyone's ear, but nobody is listening.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  18:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
And this too should cause damage to your irony meter.
quote:
... Discovery Institute scholars and attorneys show how Judge Jones's Kitzmiller decision was based upon faulty reasoning, non-existent evidence, and a serious misrepresentation of the scientific theory of intelligent design.

For the record can you state that theory again...

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  01:34:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

And this too should cause damage to your irony meter.
quote:
... Discovery Institute scholars and attorneys show how Judge Jones's Kitzmiller decision was based upon faulty reasoning, non-existent evidence, and a serious misrepresentation of the scientific theory of intelligent design.

For the record can you state that theory again...

And the blurb goes on to say:
quote:
Despite Judge Jones's protestations to the contrary, his attempt to use the federal bench to declare evolution a sacred cow turns out to be a textbook case of good-old-American judicial activism.
So, now, a conservative judge who defends the 200+ year tradition of Constitutional separation of Church and State is practicing "judicial activism?" The Discovery Institute clearly prefers their judges to be inactive, if not outright comatose. And their scientists to be cranks.

Go to Top of Page

lifeloss

5 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  13:11:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lifeloss a Private Message
quote:
So, now, a conservative judge who defends the 200+ year tradition of Constitutional separation of Church and State is practicing "judicial activism?"

'banging head on the desk'

Please, please, please stop saying separation of church and state! There is no such thing as separation of church and state in the constitution! Stop regurgitating everything you hear!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  13:21:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lifeloss

quote:
So, now, a conservative judge who defends the 200+ year tradition of Constitutional separation of Church and State is practicing "judicial activism?"

Please, please, please stop saying separation of church and state! There is no such thing as separation of church and state in the constitution! Stop regurgitating everything you hear!

But yet, while interpreting the Constitution in case law, the 1st Amendment prohibition against the establishment of religion, the 14th Amendment equal protection provisions, and over 130 years of case law supports the concept that the state is unfit to aid or hinder religious expression. The concept of seperation of Church and State is a concise statement of the Constitutional provisions and intervening case law referenced.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  13:48:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
I kinda like his one from catholic.net:

http://www.catholic.net/rcc/Periodicals/Homiletic/May1999/delusion.html

Its a criticism of C.S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity" in which the writer is lamenting, if I understand it right, the average readers inability to understand Lewis's argument and the possibility that they will move away from Christianity.

"We may want to rethink our recommending this book, or at least circumscribe it with counseling, in the light of the sheer decline of faith and reason in the late twentieth century." (bolding mine)

And again here:

'As Randall Paine wrote (“Catholics and Mr. Lewis,” HPR, July 1989 at 22), “we of the twentieth century are so very, very bad when it comes to using our minds.” '

Obviously, anyone with a good mind and reasoning ability would see the Truth of Christianity.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  14:56:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Welcome to SFN, lifeloss!
quote:
Originally posted by lifeloss

quote:

Separation of church and state! Separation of church and state! Separation of church and state! I'll damned well scream it so long as it's at risk!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . . ." How is that something other than the separation of church and state? What, is the Establishment Clause of the US Constitution actually prohibiting parking meters?

Europe's many long and bloody religious wars were the very good reasons that the framers of the Constitution hoped to avoid such bloodshed in the new nation, by creating a government which itself was secular and religion-neutral in a nation of passionate religions. Those who are now saying otherwise are either idiots, or are lying historical revisionists who want to establish a bloody-handed theocracy.

Please continue banging your head on your desk. Perhaps your brain will rattle about until it falls back into its tiny socket. Either that, or roll out your ear.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  15:04:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
See, it if it doesn't say it literally, then you are interpreting, and we all know that one must take things literally in important papers/books, otherwise the whole damn thing is open for interpretation, then what do you have?

Dogs and cats...sleeping together! Mass hysteria!!!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  19:47:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco
Dogs and cats...sleeping together! Mass hysteria!!!

The iron shall lie down with the lamp.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.