Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:05:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Interesting article on Buddhism and Mysticism:

http://www.atheistalliance.org/library/nelson-buddhism_mysticism.html

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:30:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

The rest of us have some beliefs about ourselves and our world that are irrational.

Really? Like what for example? I can't, off the top of my head, think of any irrational beliefs I have.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:34:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

This question is both a joke and serious...

So if 95% of the population has this disorder, does that not make it the norm and the lack thereof a disorder?
"In the insane society, the sane man must appear insane" -- Mr. Spock

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:35:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Actually, I was being polite. It's true, you and I are the only ones without any irrational beliefs at all.

quote:
Really? Like what for example? I can't, off the top of my head, think of any irrational beliefs I have.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 03/23/2005 11:36:21
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  13:47:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

Actually, I was being polite. It's true, you and I are the only ones without any irrational beliefs at all.
Not true. I don't have any irrational beliefs either. Or irrational fears for that matter.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  13:50:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Denial is the first sign, and the greatest evidence of a problem. D]

quote:
Not true. I don't have any irrational beliefs either. Or irrational fears for that matter.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  16:32:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

Denial is the first sign, and the greatest evidence of a problem. D]
I deny that I am in denial.

Wait, wouldn't that mean I am denying something? Ok, then I affirm that I am not in denial.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 03/23/2005 16:34:17
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  06:32:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Did I say that Bill Maher should stick to comedy? Well, let me say it again.

Per a statement made by Mr Maher on last friday's show....

Apparently Mr Maher is a board member of PETA!

If there ever was a group of people less rational than evangelical christians.... it's PETA. And Bill is on their board....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  21:44:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Not to change the subject from religion, but Bill is a very warped thinker in his own right. We have a thread over at JREF discussing Maher's misconceptions about how the immune system works. He thinks we don't need vaccines and all our health problems are due to corporate polluters.

I was quite shocked to learn he was that dumb. I thought he was intelligent enough to have some political insights but after reading transcripts of his medical beliefs, I have reevaluated my opinion. Maybe this explains why he thinks Miss Righty Dighty, Ann Coulter, is admirable.

There has been proof that vaccines have caused a few problems in their efforts to help. I think we should have vaccinations for things like Polio and others but not so young. If there is a chance to let the child grow alittle bit before you pump him full of chemicals. With all the cancer we have today that might be mostly enviromental...

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  01:08:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
There has been proof that vaccines have caused a few problems in their efforts to help. I think we should have vaccinations for things like Polio and others but not so young. If there is a chance to let the child grow alittle bit before you pump him full of chemicals. With all the cancer we have today that might be mostly enviromental...
I had polio at age 6, spending better than a year in the Crippled Childred's Hospital, in Atlanta. That was before the vaccine was developed. How old should a child be before being innoculated against it?

As for cancers, some are indeed caused by the enviornment. Spend too much time sunbathing, and you risk skin cancer. Smoke four or five packs of Camels a day and you risk all sorts of things, including lung cancer. Work in a polluted enviornment, and it is the same. I have read that diet can be contributory to colon cancer and exposure to gamma radiation is worst of all.

Good, fictional read on the subject of lung cancer: The Runaway Jury, by John Gresham.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  01:47:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch

[quote]Originally posted by beskeptigal
If there is a chance to let the child grow alittle bit before you pump him full of chemicals. With all the cancer we have today that might be mostly enviromental...
Good thing most innoculations do not involve "chemicals," but antibodies.

Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  01:57:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
Yeah I believe that we should be careful as to what man made anything we put in our bodies.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  04:53:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

Yeah I believe that we should be careful as to what man made anything we put in our bodies.

Like the metal plate they've put in my femur a good three months ago? Or just the 'chems'?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  05:29:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Yeh, 'specally shrapnel. Shrapnel in any dosage is a very bad thing....

But to a point at least, I agree. I think that we are seriously over-medicated, particularly with anti-depressents, which I refuse to take under any circumstances. It too often seems that the first thing some medical practitioners think of is to throw pills at it, whatever the diagonosis might be, to the delight of the drug companies. They in turn advertise strenously in the media. I see these adds and am appalled by the possible side effects that they grudgingly add to the alledged wonders that the concoction being pimped might perform.

That's not to say that all of this is bad. But I think that prescribing any drug should recieve careful consideration, if it's no more than asprine.

Lime in the coconut, eh?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  07:44:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
"Shrapnel" sounds onomatopoeical. Filthy, since you strike me as the Skeptic Friend who is most likely to know: is this true?

There are several Skeptic Friends with experience from various forces, including me, but I know of none with actual combat experience.

(edit: fixed spelling)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 04/03/2005 10:32:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds.