Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  13:09:42  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
I have noticed that the argument in favor of torture: What if we have someone in custody who knows when/where a bomb will go off and the only way to save the lives of all those poor, potential bombing victims is to beat the information out of this detainee?

I have also noticed that this is not a new idea, and that people have been making this argument long before the bomb in the scenario was nuclear.

Torture is not a new idea, there is a long history of humans using torture to punish, to convert and to maintain power. Yet, in all that time, there has never been an incident that matches the hypothetical for necessary torture: the obtaining of information that prevents a violent act. If it hasn't happened in over 5000 years, how likely is it to happen in the future?

In addition, if a terrorist were in custody during the lead-up to an act that he thinks will fulfill his political goals, would resisting for a finite period of time, til it was too late, be impossible? Even without such a finite usefulness of their information, many American POWS during WWII, The Korean conflict and the Vietnam war managed to resist torture that would go on for indefinite periods of time.

trish

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  13:58:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
The problem (err, one problem) is that there is no way of knowing before hand if torture is justified, only if the person actually has anti-whatever information would it be worthy, but determining if the info is there to be found is another thing...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  15:06:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I see another problem. There is no non-arbitrary way to draw the line. For example, is it worth it to save 100 people? Yes? Ok, how about 50? 25? 12? 6? 3? 2? 1? If you draw the line somewhere in-between these, why? Can you justify it?

If you say it would be worth it for 1 person, then what about if that person was going to be paralyzed? How about if they just lost a limb? How about 3 fingers? One finger? A cut? A bruise?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  16:10:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Yeah, like with that horrible practice, waterboarding. They call it a professional interrogation technique. Like it's ok, as long as when you torture people you have a snappy uniform and a short haircut. Where have we heard that before?

trish
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  00:06:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
Incidentally, does anyone have any data on how reliable information gathered through torture is? I imagine at some point you'll tell whatever they want to hear just to make it stop.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  00:59:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Incidentally, does anyone have any data on how reliable information gathered through torture is? I imagine at some point you'll tell whatever they want to hear just to make it stop.

One of the major practical arguments against using torture is indeed that people will eventually make stuff up, once they have an idea of what it is you are looking for, just to get you to stop torturing them.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  07:52:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
What about this? Technology vs. Torture. Here are a couple of quotes from the article by Harvey Rishikof and Michael Schrage:

quote:
The tools for radically transforming tomorrow's interrogations can be found in hospitals worldwide. They're helping to painlessly diagnose Alzheimer's, dyslexia, epilepsy, schizophrenia, insomnia, and brain tumors. The past decade has seen revolutions both in brain-scanning technologies and in drugs that affect the brain's functions. Like personal computers and digital camcorders, these technologies are getting faster, better, and cheaper. And they may have uses in the interrogation room that will render moot debates about the excesses of Abu Ghraib-style treatment of prisoners.

quote:
More important, these new technologies may also prove more effective than traditional interrogation techniques. In addition to the obvious moral and political arguments against torture, it is commonly acknowledged that torture victims sometimes confess to whatever accusations are leveled at them and even fabricate facts to end the pain. New technologies may minimize these problems by monitoring involuntary responses and indicating when such fabrications occur.

Whadda ya think? Under what circumstances would it be acceptable to put someone through these more humane procedures? They're nicer, and apparently more reliable. Does that make it more okay?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  08:33:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
'Okay' is a matter of perspective and wont be solved here or ever... [/downer]

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  17:53:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
First prove it works with any kind of consistency. I have not seen the evidence. If you believe in your cause enough to fly your plane into a tower or push the on button to the bomb strapped on your chest, are you going to give up your buddies if tortured? Perhaps, but it wouldn't be a very efficient means of getting information.

Then put controls on it so it is only used wisely. Well that rules it out right there. Having been in Central America during the reign of terror our lovely government supported I can say with confidence, torture is not used to extract information. That's the movie version.

Torture is used to intimidate your enemy, pure and simple.

We really need to make it clear to the the Bushs and Ashcrofts of our government that we do not support torture under any circumstances. It is foolish to think it will help you more than hurt you in the long run.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/26/2005 17:55:51
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  13:55:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Torture in any aspect has some problems with how it is administered. If physical, the person will pretty much say anything to get it to stop. In an attempt to please the torturer, the victim will admit to the most heinous crimes.

Psychological is a little different. If sleep deprivation is used, the effect is to lower the prisoner's inhibition from telling what he or she knows. If they don't know anything, they can't tell anything.

Mostly, what people are talking about torture is physical and some punative psychological. Neither are effective in intelligence gathering as the information is questionable at best.

The question is, is it worth beating wrong information out of someone in the name of security? I ardently believe that if the US continues this kind of tack, the government will become in effect one giant terrorist organization.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  16:25:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Valliant Dancer,
I wholeheartedly agree with your last paragraph.

trish
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  16:43:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
The question is, is it worth beating wrong information out of someone in the name of security? I ardently believe that if the US continues this kind of tack, the government will become in effect one giant terrorist organization.

I'll go a step further and say that we are already there. Wolfowitz, Pearl, et.al. have lead the US into a place where we shouldn't be. They have deliberately distorted truth and reality to get their own way, and they have convinced a large voting segment of the country to vote for their candidates.

SInce 9/11 they have essentially used terror tactics on US citizens. They keep the anxiety level up with their meaningless "terror alerts", supress information, call anyone who opposes them anti-American, etc.... the list is long and grevious.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  18:01:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Dude - I soooo agree about the terror alerts. I remember within a week of 9/11 saying that I bet al Qaeda had [let's say - had climaxed and left itself drained], and there wouldn't be any more big terror attacks on U.S. soil for a long time.

Considering that the Patriot Act was in the works before that horrid day, it seems to have played right into their grubby little hands.

trish
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  07:57:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:

I'll go a step further and say that we are already there. Wolfowitz, Pearl, et.al. have lead the US into a place where we shouldn't be. They have deliberately distorted truth and reality to get their own way, and they have convinced a large voting segment of the country to vote for their candidates.

SInce 9/11 they have essentially used terror tactics on US citizens. They keep the anxiety level up with their meaningless "terror alerts", supress information, call anyone who opposes them anti-American, etc.... the list is long and grevious.

Anybody but me question the Orange alert thrown up during the DNC based on 2001 information? The result was the news no longer was covering the DNC and it's candidates and instead covered what turned out to be old information.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  08:08:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Anybody but me question the Orange alert thrown up during the DNC based on 2001 information? The result was the news no longer was covering the DNC and it's candidates and instead covered what turned out to be old information.

Yes.

Terror politics.

I question the very existance (as in need for) of the Dept of Homeland Security. They seem to have no real function.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

pfretzschner
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  12:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send pfretzschner a Private Message
quote:
Anybody but me question the Orange alert thrown up during the DNC based on 2001 information? The result was the news no longer was covering the DNC and it's candidates and instead covered what turned out to be old information

What are you saying!!?? They don't do politics at the Department of Homeland Sec...ack...Homelan...wheeze...(cough)...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.