Same old same old...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  00:14:03  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
The quotation copied below is taken from http://www.snopes.com/quotes/goering.htm

I expect that the Reichsmarshall knows whereof he speaks. I urge you to go to the URL above for more details.

quote:
Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  02:38:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And the Reichsmarshall has been yet again been proven correct, has he not?

At the moment, the real horror is that we have let the likes of Bush, a politition of far less talent and competence than Hitler, lie us into a war even more futile and rife with corruption than Vietnam.

We are a species of pathetic cretins.

Here's a link to a biography of Hitler and his rise to power. I think I've posted this one before, but it's an excellent read and worth revisiting. The lessons taught by Hitler and his minions are to be ignored at our peril.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/29/2005 02:54:52
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  04:12:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Nice one.

It does have that oh-so-familiar ring to it, doesn't it?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bloody_peasant
Skeptic Friend

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  06:23:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bloody_peasant a Yahoo! Message Send bloody_peasant a Private Message
To make matters worse here in the U.S. we have a corporate controlled main stream media (MSM) that is complacent with such issues as long as profits are rolling in. The media outlets continues to be consolidated into fewer and fewer hands and stricter rules of censorship are being imposed on it as we speak.

How long before violent scenes from the battle front are considered obscene? How long before images such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nguyen.jpg or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:My_Lai_massacre.jpg are considered obscene?

While the Internet has allowed some reprieve with blogs, discussion boards (such as SFN >:->) and independent news sites, even that is being threatened by the FEC. Plus the Internet doesn't reach the people it most needs to reach. Still over 30% of the population isn't online and even still the Internet is requested information while TV and radio continue are broadcasted to the viewer/listener. I seriously doubt that all the blogs in the world will reach the hard core Fox viewer, but if Fox suddenly (and miraculously) grew some resemblance of a news source and published some of the real photos from places like Fallujah would that turn some minds? If they suddenly started showing how poorly crafted the claims of this administration were about the war and how poorly planned and executed it was would that change some votes? One can only hope.

Yes people can be pulled along into a war, but sadly in the U.S. the so called 4th estate has been the main vehicle to pull the people in.

Cheers,
BP
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  08:05:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
but if Fox suddenly (and miraculously) grew some resemblance of a news source and published some of the real photos from places like Fallujah would that turn some minds? If they suddenly started showing how poorly crafted the claims of this administration were about the war and how poorly planned and executed it was would that change some votes?

If FOX weren't the media arm of the republican party.... they exist only to advance the agenda supported by Murdoch, which happens to be whatever the neo-cons are doing at any given moment.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bloody_peasant
Skeptic Friend

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  08:19:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bloody_peasant a Yahoo! Message Send bloody_peasant a Private Message
quote:
If FOX weren't the media arm of the republican party.... they exist only to advance the agenda supported by Murdoch, which happens to be whatever the neo-cons are doing at any given moment.

You won't get any disagreement here, I was just using Fox as an example to highlight the limits that the various "new" media on the Internet has when it comes to reaching a lot of people. In otherwords MSM still has a pretty good stranglehold on the majority of Americans. Sad indeed.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  14:36:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I have a glimmer of faith the youth of the country, having grown up on the Internet, will disgard the TV news in favor of blogs and forums or whatever new form information takes in the future.

I listened to an interview with a reporter just back from Iran. She said the dissidents have blogs despite the danger of criticizing the government, and, the government had given up trying to squelch information from the Internet because they weren't able to do it successfully anyway.

I get infectious disease reports on a site that doctors from places like China send emails to. They were sending out information about SARS while the government was trying to deny it.

There is hope, though I do worry about the people that seem to take in the TV media news as if it were factual. That seems to be a looming problem but it's hard to judge the actual scope.

Go to Top of Page

sweetmiracle
Skeptic Friend

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  09:40:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sweetmiracle a Private Message
Unfortunately, many people don't pay attention to the news at all. When I was registering voters a few years ago, I ran into many people who had no idea what was going on in the world around them...intelligent suburbanites who were totally uninformed and who had no interest in either MSM presentation or newer versions.

Part of the problem is that our country (and our government!) have gotten so large that many feel that an individual can have no impact at all....

Remarkable claims require remarkable proof.

-Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds.